spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DennisB

@bellsouth.net

Connecting to VPN on my work laptop slows my entire network speed

I am on 3MB dsl service here at my house and it is the best I can get currently because of where I live. I have noticed an odd thing though lately. I generally get about 350 KB/sec when downloading files if that is the only heavy traffic I have on the network at the time, however if I am connected to my work VPN on my work laptop the fastest I can download a file on the other computers on my network is about 200 KB/sec.

Does anyone have any experience with what might be going on here? I have done some web searches but am coming up empty.

All systems are running windows 7 and I am using 2 BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Routers (WZR-600DHP) which I have been very happy with so far.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
said by DennisB :

I generally get about 350 KB/sec when downloading files if that is the only heavy traffic I have on the network

at the time, however if I am connected to my work VPN on my work laptop the fastest I can download a file on the other computers

on my network is about 200 KB/sec.

I'd bet dollars to donuts your internet traffic while connected to the work VPN is tunneled back to your
workplace. Do a route print on your work laptop, or wireshark your work laptop's traffic from another
device on your home network.

Regards
Expand your moderator at work