uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Make/receive calls on PC and Android Tablet over WIFI

I am looking to port my number over to something like Google Voice, however, there doesn't seem to be a standalone piece of software available, my phone is dead, and I have no desire to buy, nor can I pay the monthly bill. I don't mind paying a port over fee. Is there stand alone software that doesn't require Google chrome that will run in the background to let me do stated tasks?

Would also like to have an android plugin for my tablet as well, but, for my PC (Windows 7 64) it will do quite nicely.

I'm looking for free or cheap per month.

Thanks, Rob

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

said by Rob_:

I am looking to port my number over to something like Google Voice, however, there doesn't seem to be a standalone piece of software available, my phone is dead, and I have no desire to buy, nor can I pay the monthly bill. I don't mind paying a port over fee. Is there stand alone software that doesn't require Google chrome that will run in the background to let me do stated tasks?

So far, there are at least there ways to handle a Google Voice (GV) calls without the need for a computer. Below is the three from easy to hard:
    1. Use the free Simon Telephonics gateway services to handle a GV call with any SIP compliant ATA device.
    2. If you don't already have a SIP compliant ATA device, I strongly suggest to get an OBi-100 ATA device to use with GV. This device itself will support a GV call without any needs for a PC nor the free Simon Telephonics gateway services to handle a GV call.
    3. If you already have any SIP ATA device handy and are a tech savvy, you can build your own IP PBX system to handle GV calls with your existing ATA device as its extension. You can build your own IP PBX system using any old and unused PC or any Linux embedded system, i.e. Seagate Dockstar, Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET, any PogoPlug devices, a Raspberry Pi, etc. My preference is the later for a number of reasons, i.e. minimal in operational cost, less space, no noise, etc.

Would also like to have an android plugin for my tablet as well, but, for my PC (Windows 7 64) it will do quite nicely.

There are several Android software that can handle GV calls and they had been discussed here recently. Just use the search button to find out.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

tommyanon

@comcast.net
reply to Rob_

google hangouts though technically a chrome extension acts like a standalone app and sits in the task tray even when the chrome browser is closed. as of recently you can both make and receive calls through a GV # using hangouts. for android you can using talkatone or grooveIP or i suspect very soon hangouts(hangouts already supports calls in/out on GV from iOS but not android yet)

tommyanon

@comcast.net
reply to Rob_

as an alternative to GV, i know a few android and iOS users very happy with this combination.

first set up pinger which gives free texting, free incoming calls and a local number.

next for outbound setup vonage mobile using the pinger number for verification. vonage mobile gives unlimited free outbound and your pinger number will be the caller ID.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

I just want to make calls/texts on the PC/Tablet, I have no desire to get a SIP (can't text on a SIP) I have a SIP now, and it's costing me $15.00 for my home phone, CISCO modem/SIP device.

Thanks, Rob

tommyanon

@comcast.net

said by Rob_:

I just want to make calls/texts on the PC/Tablet, I have no desire to get a SIP (can't text on a SIP) I have a SIP now, and it's costing me $15.00 for my home phone, CISCO modem/SIP device.

Thanks, Rob

what Mazilo describes gets you sip for $0.00 per month

bw5745

@teksavvy.com
reply to Rob_

Since calling and texting costs real money, only Google is willing to provide complete service for free, as long as you are looking at their ads. With mazilo's suggestions, you can call for free over a normal telephone or SIP client software on your computer or tablet. Texting will still have to be done over Google Voice client software such as the ones suggested by tommyanon.

Tommyanon's other suggestion combines two incomplete free services (Vonage and pinger) to provide working complete service on your tablet.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

said by bw5745 :

Texting will still have to be done over Google Voice client software such as the ones suggested by tommyanon.

FreeSWITCH has a mod_sms to provide a service to route messages. Unfortunately, I don't use this mod_sms, so I don't know much about how it works. I believe Asterisk also has a support for handling SMS.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL
reply to tommyanon

I have no SIP, just a computer and tablet, any software suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Rob

tommyanon

@comcast.net

said by Rob_:

I have no SIP, just a computer and tablet, any software suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Rob

SIP is a protocol used by many different calling services. it's not quite something you have or you do not but rather something you use.

have you tried google hangouts on your PC?

or talkatone on the android tablet?

bw5745

@teksavvy.com

Tommyanon, have you used the Vonage Mobile app yourself recently? Mine was unused for over a year. It looks like there is no more free US and Canada outgoing calls. Do the people you know that use Vonage Mobile and Pinger still use it this way? If not, do they know of another free outgoing calling app?

tommyanon

@comcast.net

said by bw5745 :

Tommyanon, have you used the Vonage Mobile app yourself recently? Mine was unused for over a year. It looks like there is no more free US and Canada outgoing calls. Do the people you know that use Vonage Mobile and Pinger still use it this way? If not, do they know of another free outgoing calling app?

i can call free from vonage mobile without any issues, perhaps your account has expired. maybe try uninstalling and re installing the app. you will be asked to verify your mobile number when you re install and setup. but in reality you can enter any phone number that you can receive a text or phone call on. the number you use for this verification will be your outbound caller ID.

tommyanon

@comcast.net
reply to bw5745

another option some fried are recommending is mo+ from the play store

glenninBC

@174.1.193.x
reply to Rob_

I've used my older itouch 2 for years with SKYPE for outgoing calling and a sip based incoming line on VOIP service for home or anywhere I log in on with MEDIA5fone onthe itouch or my ANDROID tablet

Since skype is only $30 per yr and the SIP DID is $4.50 month .....I am getting full services for all telephone needs at under $9 monthly. !

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

What about text messages via skype? Plus, you can't port your # over skype, looked into that, also, if I disable service on my Samsung galaxy 3 will WIFI internet still work?

-Rob

stretch

@174.1.193.x

yes

wi-fi will always work on any device !

I have successfully reset my outgoing calls via SKYPE to show the 'CALL ID " of my choice...
sometimes I use my cell number or I usually use my 'landline VOIP number" as my outgoing caller I D ....!

In the USA, SKYPE can be your VOIP service for all incoming and outgoing calls.
but in CANADA the big 3 telecoms keep SKYPE down to just an outgoing call service...
however it is THE CHEAPEST UNLIMITED NORTH AMERICA WIDE service of all options
without ANY EXTRA HARDWARE TO BUY OR USE, FROM ANY DEVICE, LAPTOP, PUBLIC WI-FI,
DESKTOP, TABLET, ETC to place calls @ $2.50 PER MONTH ( $30.50 ) per YEAR !

glenninBC

@174.1.193.x
reply to Rob_

YES
I can send text over SKYPE,
I can set my caller I D from SKYPE to show the number I wish to be seen when calling out.

I can use various VOIP software apps on the itouch or my tablet to receive all my calls with a
VOIP subscription service ( many are under $9.00 a month) skype is another $2.50 MAX !
Also a plus with most VOIP services. I get an email of ALL VOICE MESSAGES !
Also can look at my call history online from any device by checking my account online.

I spend $9 + tax + $2.50 = $12.00 each month for unlimited calling in /out anywhere
in US + CANADA including unlimited voice messages etc