join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

[Install] Just ordered new Comcast HDTV, what cable box should I expect??

I asked for their HD-DVR(not the X1, just an HD-DVR), but they downgraded the order to a "standard HD box", according to the confirmation email they sent me actually arrived..

I Dno't know what a standard Comcast HD Box is??

As soon as I get it, I'll be taking it back to the local Comcast office to get what I ordered in the first place.

I am starting to get ticked-off here, I get this "go-away" attitude from everyone I have talked to.

It's a Blast 50, + Digital StarterTV, with HBO and Stream-Pix offer, that is supposed to be good for a year, but I fought them for over an hour, because the offer was "supposedly" expired.
Their "offer" was however still listed as current on the Comcast website, and they readily verified that it was still listed, but they claimed that the website was in error, and the ofter wasn't wasn't actually valid anymore.

I have seemingly won in the end, as they tell me they made an exception, and extended the offer to me.

I won't know until the first bill arrives, if they were actually telling me the truth....
Sounds to me, like that Comcast is just like Verizon, they make up things to say, but they tend to do something else when the bill get's e-mailed to you.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3

Re: Just ordered new Comcast HDTV, what cable box should I expect??

KA-
Why on earth would you take an old DVR instead of the X1?
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
said by JeepMatt:

Read the threads on X1 and all the issues. In particular, it looks like it needs CONTINUOUS contact with central servers for most features. If there are issues with that server, the boxes don't work right, if at all.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt
I have not yet upgraded to the X1 due to the continuing issues. I am waiting for it to settle down to as many as issue as my current boxes (DCX3400) have.

To the OP,

There's no way to know what model DVR you will get until it shows up. Hope for a DCX model rather than the older DCT models. The DCX models are black, the other, silver.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Guys-
Don't fall for all the gripes on this board. There aren't any "continuing" issues. I love the X1 - would never ever consider going back to I-guide or anything for that matter.
--

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

KA-

- X1 costs (at least) $3 MORE/month (than a single-room DVR)
- can't add external storage to X1 - & the "cloud storage" thing ain't up yet (& personally, I do NOT want to have to depend on "the cloud" for this!)
- can't even do a simple +/- day EPG scowl yet on X1

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
For me I'm paying the same price with the x1 DVR as I was with the Motorola dcx3501 so I don't know why people are saying x1 costs more than the standard dvr

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by JeepMatt:

KA-

- X1 costs (at least) $3 MORE/month (than a single-room DVR)
- can't add external storage to X1 - & the "cloud storage" thing ain't up yet (& personally, I do NOT want to have to depend on "the cloud" for this!)
- can't even do a simple +/- day EPG scowl yet on X1

1. its worth the couple bucks IMO
2. 500gigs is a good amount, unless you save every episode of family guy forever.
3. the search feature is the work around.
--
I'm better than you!

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
said by gar187er:

2. 500gigs is a good amount, unless you save every episode of family guy forever.

Sorry, but it's a ridiculous amount for 2013 - considering that due to cable STILL using all MPEG2 HD, you can only keep about 1/2 the shows you can on the same amount of space on (either) satellite provider.
It's even MORE ridiculous, considering this IS supposed to be a DVR used by multiple rooms (users) w/slave boxes.
If/when cable ever changes their HD to MPEG4...then you might have a leg to stand on, on the storage space issue...

Also, D* has a 1TB HDD in their Genie DVR, while E* has 2TB HDD on their Hopper DVR - so obviously people DO want more than a paltry 500GB that were previously the largest HDD on either provider.

(And PLEASE don't even bother bringing up On-Demand as a "substitute" for skimpy DVR HDD space - it's NOT, period - for several reasons)

3. the search feature is the work around.

Again, for something that IS supposed to be SO "technologically advanced" (& costly) - I should NOT have to do some half-ass "work-around", for something so simple - that had been on the previous platform for decades.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

KA-

The told me it was only available to "NEW" XF Triple-Play customers at this time, and also that it needs to be "professionally" installed.

I'm not to thrilled with the idea of professional installation, and having to pay for it when I don't need it..
I always do my own wiring, just as I did with Fios, Dish network, Comcast, and even my old C-band satellite dish.

I'm testing the waters over here with Comcast, I don't need their Phone service, and I'm not ready to sign a long term contract.

The X1 sounds promising, so I'll re-consider it after I know when I can get one without strings attached.
Since they botched my online TV service order, I already have to go to the Comcast store in Downingtown, PA to swap out the box that they are sending me, hopefully they'll have an X1 demo set up there, and they can tell me more about future availability.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
I got the Pace RNG150N for non-DVR HD receivers (running iGuide not X1)
Expand your moderator at work

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [Install] Just ordered new Comcast HDTV, what cable box should I expect??

Comcast did do a sweep test of their system around here during this past summer, and they replaced a lot of their underground trunk cables, which were about 30 years old.

I installed the drop to my home by myself about 13 years ago, when Comcast outright refused to do it themselves.

Although it's almost 300' to the tap, I ran top of the line, Commscope flooded PE jacketed RG11 Quad-Shield coax, and it's all in conduit from the house to the tap.

So it's direct burial, low loss coax, that is also in conduit.
The drop line is in as good of a condition as the day I pulled the coax myself.
Since it's in pipe, I could replace it in an hour or so, if it ever came down to that, no shovels or DitchWitch required.

As to my signal levels, my cable modem diagnostics screen puts the incoming signal strength between +6 and +7dB, upstream at +35dB, and the SNR at 41.9dB.

So, I doubt the signal will be any problem.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to KA3SGM
OK, finally getting to answer my own question.

The Equipment list just updated on my account, it say's they are sending me out a "MOTOROLA MR150CNM".

I can't find much on it, is it an internal Comcast part number for something??

Does anyone have one, and are their any known problems with this particular model?
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

sportsfan54
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Laurel, MS

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
I saw that, but it's a bit old.

Still looking at the Arris/Moto site to try and find any pictures and specs on this one, even the user manual would be nice to find.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to KA3SGM
Pretty sure that is the Pace RNG150N

That was the "model" listing stated on my self install, and when the equipment arrived, they were the Pace boxes

And I checked the "my services" tab on my online Xfinity account, and "Motorola PR150BNMR" is the listed model number for my Pace RNG150Ns

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
The MAC address for the box on my account starts with "B8:16:19", which a look-up of says its made by Motorola Mobility, which is now Arris.

Maybe Arris split up some of their assembly work to contract manufacturers, but it still points to the box actually being a Moto unit.

It arrives tomorrow, so I guess I'll know in less than 24 hours.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to KA3SGM
what box did you receive?

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
Still not hooked up yet, I still have a bit of wiring to install, but it's a Motorola MR150CNM, which is actually a DCX3200 variant.

Both of those model numbers are on the bottom of the box.

The DCX3200 I can pull a spec sheet on, the MR150CNM, I can't find any info on.

Depending how this works out, I may actually keep this one, and add a DVR later in the week.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
Just look underneath at the Lable it will tell you exactly what modelnit is

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
I already posted what it is.

I think MR150CNM is a Comcast specific part number, but it's a Motorola DCX3200 series box.

Both of those part numbers, are listed on the label on the bottom of the box.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by KA3SGM:

Still looking at the Arris/Moto site to try and find any pictures and specs on this one, even the user manual would be nice to find.

From looking at the "Cable Box User Manuals" page on Comcast's support site (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···manuals/), it sounds like you have the "Motorola DCX3200M P2/RNG 150N" model.

Installation Manual: »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···tall.pdf
Quick Start Guide: »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···_QSG.pdf
User Guide: »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···uide.pdf

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
Nope, there is no USB on the front panel, and the power button is round, not square.

The box has the xfinity logo on the front,, has no clock or channel display, but oddly enough it has a "REC" LED on it, even though it's not a DVR.

It took 4 hours to get it activated, and I already had it freeze up for 20 minutes, but supposedly that was to update the guide.

I would say the On-Screen guide itself was a collaboration between former Atari and Nintendo programmers, it's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, bad. REALLY....

There is an IR blaster jack on the back of the box for an external remote control receiver, and it is fully operational, I already tested it.

But it's now here, and it's working, I haven't had enough time to watch enough TV to offer a critique on the picture quality, or try out the OnDemand or Streampix stuff yet.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
said by KA3SGM:

I would say the On-Screen guide itself was a collaboration between former Atari and Nintendo programmers, it's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, bad. REALLY....

Not gonna say I told you so...
--

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to KA3SGM
said by KA3SGM:

Nope, there is no USB on the front panel, and the power button is round, not square.

The box has the xfinity logo on the front,, has no clock or channel display, but oddly enough it has a "REC" LED on it, even though it's not a DVR.

OK, then it sounds like it is the Motorola AnyRoom RNG150N box (that's why it has the "REC" LED), that is sometimes supplied in place of the Pace X1 "companion" box in X1 installations.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
reply to JeepMatt
I guess the X1 fixes some of that, is that what you're trying to say there??
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

OK, then it sounds like it is the Motorola AnyRoom RNG150N box (that's why it has the "REC" LED), that is sometimes supplied in place of the Pace X1 "companion" box in X1 installations.

So, I have a "piece" of the X1 platform?

Maybe that's why it took 4 hours to activate, they said it was "different" than other boxes, which "supposedly" should activate in 45 minutes or less.

Does anyone know where the hidden diagnostic screen/menu on this box might be?
I want to check the signal strength and SNR.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by KA3SGM:

said by telcodad:

So, I have a "piece" of the X1 platform?

Well, it's a box that can be used on the X1 platform, when it's loaded with the X1 UI / OSG 3.0.

Does it look like one of the RNG150C/N X1 Platform non-DVR set-top boxes at the bottom of this page »idhelp.comcast.net/help-and-supp···aller-id (I know the pictures given are small/poor!)?

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
Crossbreed between the Pace and Arris/Moto version of the XG1.

Looks identical to the Pace XG1 unit, except the power button lights blue not green.

It has the "Bat Wing" M logo on the front, and the label on the bottom also says Motorola.

It doesn't have a clock like the Arris/Moto version does.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET