Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

[hard drive] Cloning drive

I have a drive that has started getting bad spots. I originally had issues a few months ago, posted in this thread:
»[hard drive] Samsung drive with bad spot

It was fine for a few months after the CHKDSK C: /R, but a few days ago, I again seemed to have a bad spot. The SMARTCTL report showed a second bad LBA. Oddly, when I ran another CHKDSK /R, it didn't find anything, even though there is no remap listed in the report.

So, I have bought another drive again, but this is a full kit (drive, cables, software). It's the same size as the old drive. It comes with Seagate's DiscWizard software.

The last time I cloned a drive was about 6-7 years ago (Win2K, IDE drives, floppy-booted Partition Magic.) Will DiscWizard clone properly if it hits some bad spots? Are there options I need to set beforehand? Any other comments about DiscWizard?

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Disc wizard usually works pretty well. If you can't get it to work with the bad drive, then Macrium Reflect should do the job nicely. It has a setting to ignore bad sectors, so it will continue even if the drive is borked. The free version is at »www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

The setting you want is found at Other Tasks > Edit Defaults > Advanced > Advanced Backup Options then check the "Ignore bad sectors when creating images" box and then click OK. Now select the drive to clone, the drive to clone to and let it do its thing.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to andyross
Looking at the Event Viewer, I did find an error from VolSnap:
The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

Looking further back, there have been a few on and off over the past few months and days.

What I'd like to know is why it may be implying there is a bad sector, but the CHKDSK C: /R came out clean? Does the shadow copy work at a low level and maybe ignoring the fact that a cluster is marked as bad and is still trying to read that?