spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CajunWon
join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

CajunWon

[HVAC] Gray/white flakes flying from vents

Installed a new Goodman GPG13M Packaged Gas/Electric Unit, October 2012. The unit works well and quite pleased with this unit. With the heating season just starting here we have just noticed tiny white/gray flakes flying out of all the exhaust vents, settling on window sills and furniture. We have the vent closed in one room where no such flakes are found. My, unprofessional, guess is the gas fired heat exchanger is flaking internally and blowing material through the house.
Is this normal, safe, will it stop soon?

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

"Heating season just starting"?? Darn, I must be cold natured as I have had mine on for a good while now, and Statesville isn't that far from Cary.

I have never had (nor heard of) a furnace, new or old, distributing ash into the house. I would investigate.
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to CajunWon

Premium Member

to CajunWon
I have also seen this in new cars. A result of plastic wrap. When a part is wrapped in plastic for transportation, sometimes the plastic wrap can have a little bit left internally after assembly or unwrapping. As the plastic wrap dries out, it flakes off and blows out. Should stop eventually. Just my wild guess.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to CajunWon

Premium Member

to CajunWon
If you used it all last year with no flakes, I`d put money that the flakes are dried up minerals from your A/C coil, the heat dried out any remaining moisture, and blew it up into the house. Heating systems usually have the AC coil the last in the line before the air goes to the house..

Doesnt sound like too much to worry bout

-j