spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

Selling a vehicle question

We are going to sell our vehicle after we buy another one today. Our old one has a leak in the intake manifold that was 90% fixed after stop leak. My question is: Do I have to disclose right off the bat that it has it? Or only after a person asks me if there is any problems? I will be honest and tell them if they ask unless it is required that I tell them in the ad.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by billydunwood:

We are going to sell our vehicle after we buy another one today. Our old one has a leak in the intake manifold that was 90% fixed after stop leak. My question is: Do I have to disclose right off the bat that it has it? Or only after a person asks me if there is any problems? I will be honest and tell them if they ask unless it is required that I tell them in the ad.

Should be honest anyway as that is usually noticed, and if i noticed it and you didnt say anything i would walk away because who knows what else you arent saying about it.

Also, they wouldnt be able to return it, but if you are going to be dishonest, dont sell it from your house as they could pay you a surprise visit that you didnt want
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Many states have lemon laws that even apply to personal sales, and they are able to sue you in court because you didn't disclose them. You would end up paying giving back their money, or paying their mechanic to fix the problem, especially if you said it had no known issues.

How much would it cost to get fixed, and the value of the vehicle. Generally if the fix is just as much, or more than the vehicle then sell it to a yard who will sell it for parts. Do not try to stick it to a struggling person looking for a decent running car, and isn't expecting to have basically bought a salvage title.

You also need to allow them to have a mechanic check out the vehicle before the sale, and let them buy the vehicle for the fair value minus the costs of repairs if you just want to get rid of it.

You might just end up trading it in for less hassle, and they will inspect the vehicle.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by BlitzenZeus:

Many states have lemon laws that even apply to personal sales, and they are able to sue you in court because you didn't disclose them. You would end up paying giving back their money, or paying their mechanic to fix the problem, especially if you said it had no known issues.

How much would it cost to get fixed, and the value of the vehicle. Generally if the fix is just as much, or more than the vehicle then sell it to a yard who will sell it for parts. Do not try to stick it to a struggling person looking for a decent running car, and isn't expecting to have basically bought a salvage title.

You also need to allow them to have a mechanic check out the vehicle before the sale, and let them buy the vehicle for the fair value minus the costs of repairs if you just want to get rid of it.

You might just end up trading it in for less hassle, and they will inspect the vehicle.

Parts and labor it would be close to $900 and the vehicle is worth about $2500-$3000. I will just save all the hassle and put it in the ad, but that it has stop leak and hasn't leaked much since. Honesty is the best policy. Thanks to you and Tdumaine for the advice
cmthru
join:2005-03-19
Germantown, MD

cmthru to billydunwood

to billydunwood
You ought to mention the leak, but also include on the bill of sale that the vehicle is sold 'As Is'. Otherwise they could come back with a list of defects that you could be responsible for.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

All used vehicle sales in CA are classified as is unless specified otherwise, but I will definitely put the intake leak on the bill of sale