Search similar:

uniqs
LiVE4594
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03

LiVE4594

Premium Member

[HVAC] Replacing Natural Gas Piping

We live in an old home and were going to have our natural gas turned back on to use the fireplace. When they came to turn it on they said that we had to replace a flexible fitting the previous home owners had used in the line in the basement. I started researching this and got to thinking maybe we should just replace the entire system with CSST or something similar. Is there an advantage to using black steel piping over csst? Is there something better than csst to use? I've been using pex for the water is there something similar thats safe for gas?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

In most areas Black Iron Pipe is the only approved pipe for Natural Gas and has to be installed by a licensed plumber. Check with your local AHJ.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to LiVE4594

to LiVE4594
CSST is tract house crap. "Stray currents" will rust it out in a decade or 2. In a house fire it will melt in a couple minutes in direct flame and then boost the fire 100x when it melts through.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
Black Iron is supposed to last 50 years or more from what I see.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by mityfowl:

Black Iron is supposed to last 50 years or more from what I see.

My house is 49 years old and the black iron pipes look as good as new (aside from layers of old paint in the odd spots.)

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88

"Stray currents" will rust it out in a decade or 2

I've read a lot about CSST and issues with lightning / arcing poking holes in it, but never rust. Source?
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

»www.inspectorsjournal.co ··· ID=12310 pics in that thread, 3 of them. All buildings get small amounts of condensation on the interior. So that CSST will have condensation/evap cycles on its surface through its whole life. The condensation brings contaminenets which can cause the stainless teel to rust. Every put bleach on stainless steel? It will rust.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

There are many grades of Stainless Steel and only a few of the grades will rust or corrode.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
I can't speak to natural gas installations, but the preferred piping for propane here is TracPipe. All the houses under construction in my area have been done in TracPipe, and I actually have a lightning-resistant outdoor run of TracPipe called Counterstrike.

I'd look into TracPipe for your application: »www.tracpipe.com/
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
If you already have black iron pipe I'd keep it. Just replace the flex line with something that's up to current codes and you'll be good to go.

Nothing wrong with black iron gas pipe. You gain nothing from ripping it out and replacing with CSST.

CSST is popular in new construction due to its low cost and ease of installation (it's all about the $$$).

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
As I look into this it looks like black iron may have a life spand of over 200 years

but like most things it dependes.
mityfowl

mityfowl to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
from the gas meter to the home is a low pressure line. Mostly volume.

before the meter is a high pressure line.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
Before doing anything check with your AHJ to find out what is required by code. Then you will have the information needed to proceed.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

mityfowl to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
There is no fun anymore on dslreports.

It will be slow death
LiVE4594
Premium Member

LiVE4594

Premium Member

We actually live out in the county and anything we do doesnt require inspectors or permits. I'll just leave the black pipe. I found that lowes will cut and thread to spec. That will make my job much easier. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by LiVE4594:

We actually live out in the county and anything we do doesnt require inspectors or permits. I'll just leave the black pipe. I found that lowes will cut and thread to spec. That will make my job much easier. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm fairly sure you are required to abide by the state building codes whether you get a permit or not.

Your safety and the safety of your family requires it.

Good luck on your project.
LiVE4594
Premium Member

LiVE4594

Premium Member

Obviously safety is paramount. Hence the exploring and asking before doing anything.

Thanks!

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

You made the right choice with the Black Iron Pipe.

shdesigns