how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hawkeye_wx

join:2009-01-07
Cedar Rapids, IA

New modem choice?

So I finally have to upgrade my modem in the next few days because my docsis 1 sb4200 will no longer work on November 1st. As long as it works well on Mediacom's network, the sb6121 would be the easy choice because with some discounts I can get it for $55 at Target here in town. I know plenty of people own this modem and it has been discussed before in this forum, but does anyone have any further thoughts? Would anyone recommend I NOT get this modem? Would the modem sold by Target have a firmware that is sufficiently new and without any bugs that can't be fixed because Mediacom has no firmware for it?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121

1 edit
**Edited** We do not offer firmware for the 6121 at this time.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by MediacomChad:

Mediacom actually does have firmware for the SB6121

When did this happen? For the last 2 years I have been hearing Mediacom does not support the Moto 6121.

In spite of that, I have had a 6121 that has worked without any issues (for almost 2 years) with no support needed from Mediacom. I hope Mediacom is not going to screw up my 6121 now that firmware is available.

To the Original poster: Any modem with the Motorola name is a great choice, whether Mediacom supports it or not.

L.S.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
If everything is working great, I don't think there would be a point to upgrade firmware. I can if you would like though.

poolShark

join:2002-11-21
Marshall, IL
MediacomChad, my SB6121 is working great, so I don't need any firmware update. I am curious, however, what has changed in the fimware since my version: SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH

The only thing I don't like about the current firmware in the SB6121 is the logging. It will overwrite the most recent log entry with the new entry when they are of the same type. For example, if there is a T3 timeout at 8am and no other log entries occur and you have another T3 timout at 9am, it will overwrite the 8am entry instead of making a second entry. So, unless you are watching the log real close you don't know if there are only occasional issues or a persistent issue.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
That is odd, but I am glad it is working for you.

kevred9

join:2013-10-16
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to hawkeye_wx
I've now found 4 others in the Cedar Rapids Mediacom market (NE, Hiawatha, Marion, NW) that have had their Motorola sb6121 modems become extremely unstable (rebooting every few minutes and only bonding to 1 channel) in the last few weeks.

I went back to my really old sb4100 (docsis 1.1) modem which was stable on my same connection, and I've now borrowed a zoom 5341j which has also been very stable and bonds 4 channels without problems. As a test, I went back to the sb6121 and it only bonded 1 channel again and then just continually rebooted every few minutes.

My sb6121 was *extremely* stable in the past and I really like the Motorola compared to the zoom. This weekend I also tested my sb6121 on a non-Mediacom network and it was stable there and easily bonded 4 channels. Not sure where the problem is, but something isn't happy with my sb6121 and my Mediacom connection. Hopefully things work for you like they were previously working for me...

hawkeye_wx

Cedar Rapids, IA
kev, I saw the forum thread from a couple weeks ago about your(and others') sudden sb6121 modem issue on the mediacom network. I was wondering what happened there and if any fix had been found.

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN
reply to hawkeye_wx
Give the SB6180 a try. Under $50 online. Has been rock solid for me for a year now.

kevred9

join:2013-10-16
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to hawkeye_wx
I'm still using my borrowed zoom modem. One person I know switched to ImOn. The other two were still seeing some resets (albeit not as bad as I was seeing) last I heard. The tech that was out for one of the users explained that a Cedar Rapids wide configuration problem occurred during testing and was the main cause of the problems. Not sure why it would affect the sb6121 more than the zoom. Supposedly that was a general configuration problem and was fixed on 10/25, but I haven't verified this yet.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
No channel bonding problem that I had went away on 10/25 sometime after midnight. I have a SB6121. My issue supports what you are reporting.

hawkeye_wx

Cedar Rapids, IA

4 edits
reply to hawkeye_wx
I went ahead and picked up a sb6121 from Target. I just got it activated and it at least works ok initially. It is bonding four channels. Speedtest is giving me a download speed similar to what I was getting with the old sb4200. I'm getting slightly higher upload speed now. The firmware is dated Dec. 2010.

One thing that is odd about the modem. Even though this was bought at Target and presumably new, the packaging suggests it is not brand new. The box was not shrink-wrapped(none of the several 6121 boxes were). The modem's plastic bag wrapping was torn and pretty clearly had already been opened and shoddily retaped closed(with some hairs stuck to the tape). The power cable was neither twist-tied nor in a plastic bag. It appears to have just been thrown into the package. Anyone have any thoughts about this? If the modem works well for a couple weeks should I just forget about the packaging or should I just take it back to Target and get another one?

edit: My brother suggested someone may have had network trouble, bought this modem to test, found out the problem was with the network and not their modem, so they took this one back... and then Target repackaged it and put it back on the shelf.

Update:

I was just checking the modem's log and it is showing activity on June 22, 2013 as well as September 16, 2013. So apparently this "new" modem was already used by TWO customers.

I have the 15 Mb service.

hawkeye_wx

Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to hawkeye_wx
I've been using the sb6121 for a few days now and it is working perfectly. I had been getting good speed for years with the sb4200, but the last few days it has just felt extra snappy.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
That's good to hear hawkeye_wx! Let me know if you have any other questions.