Premium
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse

Replying to old posts

I wanted to reply to a year-old thread »[General] confused about provider options for my startup

However, I got the following warning:
Your account status does not yet allow reply to older discussions or edit older posts

What's wrong with my status?

I've been on the site for 7 years, I am a premium member, I made several posts in the thread in question, and while I completely understand that it is unusual to post in such old threads - can't I be trusted that I had good reason to do so? Maybe a warning "dude, you realize that you are trying to reply to a year-old thread, right?" but with an option to proceed anyway would be a better option...
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Just to show you I can't either.
It's not a problem with your account.
The thread is simply just too old to reply to.
Only a moderator or the site admin could unlock it if they're is a valid reason to.
--
"Graffiti Wall" Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to ymhee_bcex
If there's a good enough reason, then send a PM to a moderator. The moderator can "bump" the thread and make it replyable (I think).

Or, just start a new thread and provide a link back to the old thread.

Most likely, the only thing "wrong" with your account is that you are not a moderator.

And a note to moderators et al. Maybe the message is too confusing. Perhaps the message should just say "this thread is too old for new posts." It's that "account status" part that makes the message confusing.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 24.0

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
There's actually a hierarchal set of rules involved- see Justin's posts here: »Your account status does not yet allow reply to older discus
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by tmpchaos:

There's actually a hierarchal set of rules involved ...

Yes, I'm aware of that. However, this still confuses people. They cannot do anything about how those rules apply to them. And, very often, it's a case where nobody other than moderators would have been able to reply anyway.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 24.0

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ymhee_bcex
I think it's the actual wording of the"canned" response/error message that is confusing. It implies that there's something the member can do to post to old threads (other than ask a mod to re-open the thread), when that's not the case. It ought to just say the the thread is too old to reply to... a la, "The reply time period/window has expired for this thread!" Either that or just remove the word, "yet" from the response.

Your account status = You are not a moderator, MVM or VIP.

As has been suggested already, if you really feel the need to respond to an old thread, just start a new one, and link back to the old thread for background information. It's been done like that for quite some time, now.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

True, I'll change the message.

Actually I think the best thing would be for old bumps to be allowed for members in good standing but require a mod to release them. The objective of the limits is not to be annoying but to stop fresh accounts for bumping old topics with spam.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

I'm not implying that I disagree with existing policies regarding old threads... I'm just saying that the wording on the message may be confusing/misleading to some folks. A simple text change would remedy that.That's all I meant!
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

2 recommendations

And that is what I said I would do - change the wording.
"True, I'll change the message".

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Thank you! Sorry about the misunderstanding.

ymhee_bcex
Premium
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to justin
said by justin:

Actually I think the best thing would be for old bumps to be allowed for members in good standing but require a mod to release them. The objective of the limits is not to be annoying but to stop fresh accounts for bumping old topics with spam.

Are old topics more susceptible to spam than new ones? If not - then I would see "mod approval" as the first step to allowing members in good standing comments unmoderated... I dunno - maybe for the threads that are half-time of member's tenure... or the ones that the person commented (even if it was 5 years ago).

If, on the other hand old topics are more susceptible to spam, I would look for root cause for such correlation!
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

ymhee_bcex
Premium
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to ymhee_bcex
Life gave us VoIP junkies an excellent example of what I am talking about. Google announced discontinuation of Google Voice (to be precise, Obihai announced discontinuation of Google Voice). There is main thread discussing this subject; but there are several threads from May or from last year where people discuss alternatives! If a "member in good standing" thinks that that topic is more applicable for a new post - why not? What's the downside?

Obviously, in a grand schema it's a minor irritant...
--