Search similar:

uniqs
tag446
join:2013-10-26
Salisbury, VT

tag446

[trouble] Comtrend AR-5381u No way to change default Username/Password

Hi everyone,

I just got a new Comtrend AR-5381u wireless modem from FairPoint Vermont to replace my old Westell 7500 wireless that had issues.

After receiving the Comtrend the first thing I wanted to do was change the default Login Username and Password however the option is not available in the comtrend's UI.

After doing some google research and checking the modems manual it appears the option should be there. I also want to note the manual also shows that I should have access to the router log files but again the option is missing in the UI. There is actually several options missing!

I called FairPoint and talked to several different people and I could not get a straight answer as to why the options are not their. In the end I was told its just the way it is.

Now I won't get into any long drawn out details but using firefox and my developer tools I logged into the router and was able to view the source code. Upon checking the code I found the options I am missing are there but not being displayed on screen.

According to the Comtrend manual this modem has different user levels depending on how you login. It appears there is either Admin access or User level access with limited options that can be changed. I have to assume FairPoint gave me User level credentials and this is why I do not have access to some features like changing the default username and password. I asked them about this but again they seemed lost.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a default username and password that grants admin level access?

Maybe I am paranoid but I think its is SOOOO Wrong that I do not have the ability to secure my network. By not having the option to change the default username and password doesn't this represent a major security hole?
bejee
join:2007-07-30
Orleans, VT

bejee

I've installed a couple of these and never had the problem you mentioned. Granted, you have to dig a bit but the options are there. User name "root", PW 12345

»www.router-defaults.com/ ··· username
tag446
Salisbury, VT

tag446

Hi ajeff, your right the option should be there but it isn't. According to the user manual and the screenshots I have seen online it should be located under "Management" in the left hand UI menu. All the same I have clicked through every option available in the UI menu but its not there.

As I mentioned in my first post there are other options that are missing also. Under Management I should have the following options: Settings, System Log, Security Log, TR-069 Client, Internet Time, Access Control, Update Software, and Reboot. The only option I have under Management is Reboot, the rest are all missing.

To change my password I should be able to navigate: Management/Access Control/Passwords but those options just are not there.

The only possibilities that I can think of that would cause these options to be missing would be either the username and password that FairPoint provided only gives limited access control or the modem had got a bad firmware flash. The last possibility would be that FairPoint deliberately took away the options.

I am not sure if this will help or not but this modem from my understanding is newer then some of the others out there with the same model #. My entire modem is black with 2 external antennas. Older AR-5381u's are black & white with internal antennas.

Concerning the default user name and password. The one you wanted me to try is the same one listed in the manual, however it does not work. FairPoint gave me username: admin / password: user12345 .

In the past twenty years I have never seen a modem/router lacking the ability to change the default username and password. I am at my wits end and FairPoint is blowing me off like its no big deal. Unless someone has more insight about this issue I'm afraid the only option I will have will be to buy my own ADSL2+ modem/router and that is fine however I can see situations that this issue could pose serious security problems for some people so the issue should really be addressed by FairPoint.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Just guessing but it looks like FP either is using special firmware, or they have used administrator account to lock out certain features from users.

From your description I assume you are able to telnet into to router, which is how you were able to see FW features. If so there ought to be a CLI somewhere to enable them. Have you tried to default the router and see what happens?

/tom
bejee
Orleans, VT

1 edit

bejee to tag446

to tag446
Haven't seen the all black ones yet, only the B&W Comtrends. Could be interesting if you are correct re the crippled firmware. Might have to buy up a bunch of DGN2200's off Ebay...
Let me just throw out a possibility - sometimes the full screen doesn't show and it APPEARS there is nothing below what is visible. I don't have one of these in front of me but I recall it was difficult finding all the settings I needed. This is not a user friendly interface.
tag446
Salisbury, VT

tag446

Hi tschmidt, no the only way I could see the features was to login using the web interface using the username and password in my earlier post. I have tried to default the router using the reset button in the back of the router but it didn't change anything.

I did also try to telnet into the router but it would not except my username and password using this method. I also tried a bunch of possible username and passwords that I found on the net but none worked.

I can login using the web interface by going to 192.168.1.1 but if I get my ip address using an online ip checker I get to the login prompt but my username and password does not work. Again I tried a bunch of username & password combinations found on the net with no luck.

So to rephrase its a little its odd my username and password only works under the default router IP but won't work trying to telnet in or when using my reported IP.

Concerning the possibility that it's a screen issue, definitely not a problem. I have a large flat screen with lots of room under the menus so nothings hidden. Good thought however because I have seen this issue also with my old CRT.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Only thing else I can think of is a long shot see if it responds to another IP, perhaps 192.168.1.254. The fact you can address the router's public IP but not log in sure looks like the ISP has locked it down.

But is sounds like they have done something to lock it down.

/tom
tag446
Salisbury, VT

1 recommendation

tag446

Well I called FairPoint again and this time the fellow I spoke with quoted something saying that the features were indeed disabled.

Also tried to see if they had any other login credentials but he said the credentials I have are the only ones he had.

Unfortunately the only option I have is to buy my own ASDL2+ modem or get an other router and bridge the two.

It makes no sense why they would disable access control and the router log files but leave other options that most people would never use enabled.

It will be interesting to see what happens when more of these modems are rolled out to customers.

I know my chances of being hacked are slim to none but I would feel a lot better knowing the modem is locked down with my own username and password.
bejee
Orleans, VT

bejee

I wonder if they will be crippling modems for their business accounts. If so I would be pushed to recommend Comcast or Charter over FP for business accounts.
modem_reset
join:2010-05-27

modem_reset to tag446

to tag446
I would go into bridge mode and get a router...you have enough know how to put in something far better then the stand alone device.
bejee
Orleans, VT

bejee to tag446

to tag446
Might want to pick up a mfg refurb Netgear DGN2200 off Ebay. Problem solved for $30 delivered...

hawk82
join:2001-04-26
centralmaine

1 recommendation

hawk82 to tag446

to tag446
I called Fairpoint yesterday on behalf of one of my business clients and the agent told me to try 1 of 3 possible entries:
username: root
password: 12345 (didn't work for me)

username: admin
password: user12345 (this one worked)

(I didn't get the 3rd one to try)

Posted for future reference. This allowed me to change the modem to bridge mode, turn off WiFi, etc. Not sure if this is admin level access.

Netlost
@gtcom.net

Netlost to tag446

Anon

to tag446
Ok so after days and days of calling and getting nowhere this is what I found out from someone willing to help. They have this and other things disabled due to the fact that they were having to reprogram modems due to people playing and not knowing what they were doing. Per my contact this is a high cost in man hours. the idea for the password change has to do with that people would change these and then when they called in for tech support they wouldn't remember the password and then, you guessed it, man hours to send out a tech to reboot and reprogram it. He said they are willing to program it however I liked and charge me for it and then no matter what happened it would be in their server and even if it got knocked out or went bad they would make sure it is programed the same way every time. Also from what I could gather, reading between the lines, this is done on the flash of the modem so it is unable to be changed without trying to flash it myself. However when i brought this up I was told that if it is found that this is what happened I would be charged for the tech run and the full cost of the modem. I personally just payed and had the put it in bridge mode and bought my own router. I had 2 modems go out and each was replaced like the one before, in bridge mode. I hope this helps.

hawk82
join:2001-04-26
centralmaine

hawk82 to tag446

to tag446
This is why PPPoE should be abolished.
sig20rat
join:2013-11-09
Lanark Village, FL

sig20rat to hawk82

to hawk82
what was the third login in option? I am having trouble logging into mine