uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

[Appliances] Dishwasher stinks

Any advice on solving a dishwasher (interior) that stinks ? It cleans and drains fine, so I don't think the problem is related to a clogged filter.

We have pretty hard water here (at least compared to our previous house). The toilet tank has flaky, white pieces of material, we have to clean our coffee maker about every two weeks, etc, etc. Is there a smell associated with limescale from hard water ? I really can't describe the smell from the dishwasher. It's unique, to me, at least. Maybe a combination of smells could describe it...

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

We use this product to freshen up the dish washer.
»www.affresh.com/our_products/aff···_cleaner
--
Gadgets

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to Hall

Once every few weeks or so, run it (empty) with a 1/2 cup of tang powdered orange drink mix. If the tub is plastic it will also help remove brown water stains.

Or, if you don't mind the house smelling like macaroni salad for a while, use a cup of white vinegar, instead.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Tang ? I haven't seen that since I was little! Not sure if I have seen it in stores either. Any alternatives ?

Since you mention vinegar, you suspect it's hard water? We clean the coffee maker with vinegar and luckily that smell doesn't linger! We have a Bunn so allowing it to sit in the tank and cycled 1-2 times is sufficient (plus it brews so fast).

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to GadgetsRme

Same as Tang, I haven't seen that item locally, but I'm sure there are alternatives.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Any alternatives ?

Citric acid -- I usually buy it off of Amazon.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Same as Tang, I haven't seen that item locally, but I'm sure there are alternatives.

Here ya go: »www.affresh.com/where_to_buy/results
--
Gadgets

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to GadgetsRme

said by GadgetsRme:

We use this product to freshen up the dish washer.
»www.affresh.com/our_products/aff···_cleaner

We use a similar product, seems to work well. The dishwasher we inherited when buying the house is new (installed 6 months before I bought the place), but we could detect some "funk" when the door was opened. This seemed to do the trick:

»www.finishdishwashing.com/produc···cleaner/

We run it through once a month, so far so good.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Hall

All the chemicals and such is mostly useless.
I followed this youtube video once.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=75DB9cyPYO0

While the interiors were pretty much clean, the food chopper was completely clogged with crap. No non-corrosive chemical would have removed that gunk. Everything else self-cleans. SO the stink is probably junk stuck in that area. Chemicals just removes the smell, not the debris.

I'd do that youtube video cleaning procedure every 6 months if you fill up the dishwasher every day.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to GadgetsRme

Looks like most grocery stores do carry it after all as well as Ace Hardwares and oddly enough, all of the electronic big-box stores...

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I believe you can get Tang at just about any store. I have also used old lemonade powder. Both are probably a lot cheaper than specially made powders.

Even then the store brand should work just as well and be a ton cheaper.

--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Hall

My dishwasher always stinks. We've tried everything. Sometimes my wife will run vinegar through it with no load. That helps for about 2 days, then it stinks again. We have very hard water here too.
Last year I disassembled the thing and cleaned all the disgustingness out of the spray arms and grinder. I'll never do that again. Next time I'll just replace the POS, as it is a horrible dishwasher to begin with.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to Hall

Has anyone tried CLR to clean a dishwasher in a hard water area?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Yes - it can be done. I had the old CLR recipe and its odor was not great (a bit harsh) so I would do it with ventilation. For large hard water issues it will need a couple runs and that gets expensive. Vinegar is a lot cheaper option. You also have to be sure you do not add it too early - as our washer does a quick rinse to loosen up material on the dishes.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to CylonRed

I'm presuming Tang or similar is for citric acid, so if that's the case, vinegar is acidic as well. My wife has tried that previously and it's a short-term solution... She told me yesterday that she had taken it apart (only the bottom, I'm guessing) but that fix didn't last either.

Going back to that video posted, there's no issues with cleaning, let alone the top sprayer not working. I've never done the 5-bowl test like he does, but we've had plastic cups on the top rack get flipped up and full of water when we go to empty it.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit

Only added benefit to tang or lemonade is that the smell will be better than vinegar.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

I don't understand. My dishwasher is 10 years old now (Whirlpool) and I've never had any smell at all. We did use Tang once to remove rust stains that had built up.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

For newer washers where food does not have to be rinsed off first - have smells due to food left over. The grinders can also harbor bits of food that cause smells.

For a long while - we rinsed the dishes well (when the washer was working less well due to hard water) there was rarely any smells. Now that I fixed the hard water issues - we rinse the plates less and there is more smell.
--
Brian

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

I don't understand. My dishwasher is 10 years old now (Whirlpool) and I've never had any smell at all.

Good for you.... Maybe the smell is just my imagination ?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

Never said you didn't have a smell. I said I don't understand as we've never had ours smell.

Now my front loader washer is a different story.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

For newer washers where food does not have to be rinsed off first - have smells due to food left over. The grinders can also harbor bits of food that cause smells.

For a long while - we rinsed the dishes well...

Contrary to what the manufacturers say, that is, that rinsing them off is NOT necessary, we still do. I'd say we rinse off at least 75%. Certainly no food chunks. Very small pieces and sauce-type material is all we leave on them. Now, the previous homeowners, I can't say what they did.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

We usually rinse them off a bit - especially if there are things that have a stick factor for a lot of protein (like eggs or oatmeal - both are like concrete when dried). I have a feeling my kids are not fully rinsing out their cups of milk and after a couple days...

There is a rinse cycle we can use to keep smells down but our is a external washer so we don't use that cycle.
--
Brian

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by CylonRed:

and after a couple days...

That's not a concern here ! We run the dishwasher about every 1-1/2 days. I do rinse cups out, especially those with milk.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

Lime scale from hard water does not make a smell. Deal with that with an adequately sized water softener. You did not mention red or black in your toilets.

It would make sense to get the water from your well tested for hardness and more, unless somebody is delivering the water for you. In that case, you can get a report from the water company.

Regarding the smell, ask some other people to describe the smell.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Hall

Tang??? I thought they shipped the last of that up onto SkyLab in the 1970's.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

I found Tang 2 or 3 years ago at the Walmart Grocery