uniqs
patryan9
join:2004-06-16
Bolton, CT

1 recommendation

patryan9 to wardarden

to wardarden

Re: [HomeSecurity] HomeSecurity - NO HEAT - No call backs

I'm not an HVAC guy but just had a new furnace/heat pump system installed last week... the statement about the safety feature seems backward. I believe the furnace automatically kicks in (over the heat pump) if you're not getting enough heat and the temp drops... not the reverse.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I believe patryan9 See Profile is correct, the failsafe is call for heat (freezeproofing) from the furnace, doubt the heat pump will be used UNLESS it is the primary source.
It is highly dependent on YOUR exact system and wiring,.
I still recommend a qualified HVAC service ASAP, broken pipes or a fried HP are too high a risk.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to patryan9

to patryan9
said by patryan9:

I'm not an HVAC guy but just had a new furnace/heat pump system installed last week... the statement about the safety feature seems backward. I believe the furnace automatically kicks in (over the heat pump) if you're not getting enough heat and the temp drops... not the reverse.

You're absolutely right. A heat pump uses electricity to run a compressor to move heat from outside a house to its inside. Running in reverse it can be used as an air conditioner to move heat from the inside of a house to the outside. The efficiency of such a device depends on the the temperature of the heat to be moved. If the temperature outside is too low, perhaps 32 deg F, it would be more efficient, and cost effective, to use some other source of heat to warm a house. This depends on the relative cost of those sources, but in rural places it might be liquid propane if natural gas is not available. Resistance electric heaters built into the furnace might also work, again depending on the relative cost of other fuels vs. electricity. In places where the temperature never gets too low in the winter, such as the SE USA or western coastal areas, heat pumps might be cost effective. In the end, it's all about the cost of heating and cooling a house.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Streetlight:

said by patryan9:

You're absolutely right. A heat pump uses electricity to run a compressor to move heat from outside a house to its inside. Running in reverse it can be used as an air conditioner to move heat from the inside of a house to the outside. The efficiency of such a device depends on the the temperature of the heat to be moved. If the temperature outside is too low, perhaps 32 deg F, it would be more efficient, and cost effective, to use some other source of heat to warm a house. This depends on the relative cost of those sources, but in rural places it might be liquid propane if natural gas is not available. Resistance electric heaters built into the furnace might also work, again depending on the relative cost of other fuels vs. electricity. In places where the temperature never gets too low in the winter, such as the SE USA or western coastal areas, heat pumps might be cost effective. In the end, it's all about the cost of heating and cooling a house.

In northern climates (like Iowa, Massachusetts, and Maine), heat pumps are all but useless. It gets just too cold for them. Here most people use either propane or gas fired boilers/forced air furnaces. In my case it's electric baseboards and I cannot use the Xfinity thermostat because my thermostats are line voltage and 240 volts would cook those thermostats and most likely cook anyone who touches them AND burn the house down.

falcor
@comcast.net

falcor

Anon

No offense but I can't believe anyone would get this kind of service from Comcast...I don't even trust them providing my internet and TV let alone hook up a device that controls my thermostat.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by falcor :

No offense but I can't believe anyone would get this kind of service from Comcast...I don't even trust them providing my internet and TV let alone hook up a device that controls my thermostat.

I only have the home control portion through Comcast. The security portion is through a local company.

As for the thermostats, they cannot install them in Massachusetts. They have to leave them with the customer who has the option of either self installing or hiring a licensed contractor to install it.

Like I said above, with Comcast diving into the home security/home automation turf, they are getting into a grey area with licensing. Many areas have specific licensing requirements for alarm technicians and alarm companies. Not to mention many areas have a requirement for alarm permits for police response. That is why I recommend local alarm contractors as they are familiar with the local licensing/permitting requirements. Many areas even require a permit to be pulled and the system inspected before being put into service and I doubt Comcast does this.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Have to agree with falcor. They can't even get something they've been doing for 30+ years right. I wouldn't trust them with controlling anything in my house.