Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Thinkdiff

Re: [OS X] Keychain disappointment

said by Thinkdiff:

Depending on the VPN ....

I use L2TP with a shared secret. It puts me on my home network as if I were connected at home. Everything, including Time Machine works as if I were local.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by TamaraB:

said by Thinkdiff:

Depending on the VPN ....

I use L2TP with a shared secret. It puts me on my home network as if I were connected at home. Everything, including Time Machine works as if I were local.

As long as the L2TP tunnel is passing mdns (broadcast) packets, I don't see why it wouldn't work over your VPN.

BTW, VPN over WiFi (w/ WPA2) isn't really necessary when you're already on your own local network. It may even cause problems if the VPN's private space is the same as your local network's space.

Do you run your ethernet connected computers through the VPN, too?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
said by Thinkdiff:

As long as the L2TP tunnel is passing mdns (broadcast) packets, I don't see why it wouldn't work over your VPN.

I don't know what that means . Will have to look it up

said by Thinkdiff:

BTW, VPN over WiFi (w/ WPA2) isn't really necessary when you're already on your own local network. It may even cause problems if the VPN's private space is the same as your local network's space.

Yes, I get an address in the same address space over VPN (Local and remote) 10.0.1.XX. I have not observed any issues, it just works. Possibly because it's a Mac OSX server providing the VPN, DNS, and routing?

said by Thinkdiff:

Do you run your ethernet connected computers through the VPN, too?

No. I ASSUME that data is restricted to the copper wire. At least I think so. However, when I am at my GF's, and ethernet connected, I do run through my VPN. She has all sorts of stuff connected including WinDoze machines, I treat that network like any other hostile network.

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"