join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

rody_44 to Linkedit5

Premium Member

to Linkedit5

Re: [Install] 1600' of underground

Most likely isnt very comforting when your running 1600 feet. Where i work they wont just hang a amp anywhere. As a general rule if you look up and see a 10 tap then the amp will go there. If you see anything above or below that tap the amp isnt going there. If its a seven value more lines going to be run to get the proper signal to amp. If its a 14 or above its going to be somewhere within that 1600 feet. If there isnt enough power to power another amp you have big problems because now your talking big money to power up another power supply. Only the cable company engineer is going to know.

While thats the extent of my technological knowledge of it. Holy shit i would think one continuous 1600 foot line of even qr860, tilt would be out of this world.

Linkedit5
join:2004-10-10
Brooklyn, NY

Linkedit5

Correct. Most likely as in I haven't surveyed this guy's location so I have a good idea but can't be certain. Also, in the 20 years that I've worked for Comcast I have never seen construction put in feeder to a home at that length without amping it.

Also if he has an old drop at that location we would install the feeder and actives at no charge. At least we do in NJ. Quite frankly he's better off simply having Comcast take care of the entire feeder run, cable and all. Then we're responsible for the entire install. He can run the line on his own but if he damages it during install it won't be found until that feeder leg is turned up. Most likely the response from the techs will be "You installed that line yourself eh? Well, good luck."

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to papachan

to papachan
From what I understand you should have a Comcast engineer on site with plans already with type of cable, size and feet