Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Ryan

Premium Member

to Ryan

Re: Bioshock Infinite wow..

Unfortunately the cool story, couldn't carry the rest of this mind numbingly, monotonous game. It falls completely flat on it's face not even half way through, once you realize all your Vigors are completely worthless, all the weapons are uninspiring, gear upgrades are completely pointless, lack of enemy variety, every single NPC looks exactly the same (lol), and that you're stuck in an exact rinse repeat combat scenario throughout the whole game.

I can bet you, you could play through that whole game, without ever using a single Vigor, ever. That's how pointless they are. And since Elizabeth will just feed you ammo and health non stop, it might even be possible to play through the whole game using only a single gun. That's how retarded it is.

This is what my play through consisted of.....

Enter an area, search around some, talk to Elizabeth a little bit, she'll flip you a random coin she just found. Queue dramatic music! and kill some dull enemies. Enter next area, search around some, talk to Elizabeth some more, she'll flip you another spare coin. Queue dramatic music! fight more of the same enemies without using a single Vigor. Proceed to next area, talk to girl some more, she'll flip you another spare coin, queue dramatic music! Kill more boring enemies. Rinse repeat until your eyes start to glaze over.

Game is a 5/10. And I only give it that because of the pretty neat story and pretty graphics. The rest of it is a complete piece of shit.

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

Ryan

Premium Member

Well the rest of the world for the most part doesn't seem to agree with ya »www.metacritic.com/game/ ··· infinite

With that said I agree you could probably play the game without vigors, but why would you. They were definitely helpful throughout the game especially with multiple npc's, plus imho they were pretty entertaining to use.

As far as kill enemies, search kill more enemies.. Isn't that essentially what all FPS are? I haven't played one that isn't like that..

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Ryan:

Well the rest of the world for the most part doesn't seem to agree with ya »www.metacritic.com/game/ ··· infinite

If this is what a current day 10/10 game is considered, the bar has been set pretty low. I ain't jumping on this game's bandwagon.

The bulk of the reviews on Metacritic all focus solely on the story line, and nothing else. Do people even pay attention to anything else besides the story? There are a shit ton of other elements to this game. Infinite is an average shooter at best.
said by Ryan:

With that said I agree you could probably play the game without vigors, but why would you. They were definitely helpful throughout the game especially with multiple npc's, plus imho they were pretty entertaining to use.

There's a huge difference between entertaining, and meaningful. When you can literally mow every enemy down with a single machine gun or carbine throughout the whole game, it completely diminished any meaning Vigors should have had. Same goes for "gear" upgrades. Did they mean anything to you at all or change your game play style? You can equip absolutely nothing for gear upgrades and you'd never even notice. That's how insignificant they are.
said by Ryan:

As far as kill enemies, search kill more enemies.. Isn't that essentially what all FPS are? I haven't played one that isn't like that..

Of course you're supposed to beat bad guys in an FPS. That's the whole point. Unfortunately this game you can nearly set a timer to when the next set of baddies are going to pop out, simply because you just walked into a new area and you're done talking to the girl.

There was so much other shit they could have done. As much as I hate QTE's, this game probably would have benefited from a few of them. Where was the exploration? There was absolutely none. Completely on rails the whole time. Unlike the first Bioshock. Also barely any world interaction at all. You can't talk to 99% of the NPCs standing around, and besides searching trash cans and crates, there's nothing else they let you interact with.

They also had this very interesting sky-line system, that only turned out to be a gimmick in the end and wasn't used much.

There's just no way in hell this game is a 10/10 that most people give it. Cool story? Yes. But that's about it.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

On the difficulty I played on, there was no mowing Patriots down the bullets.

Vigors were critical in my beating of the game. Charge or whatever was awesome, and I also got a lot of use out of the flock of ravens.

The upgrades were mediocre, but they they did make charge over powered as hell, if you built your character correctly.

The game play was a 6-7 for me, and the story a 9.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to Ghastlyone

Mod

to Ghastlyone
I also have it partially played on my PS3. While the atmosphere was stellar, I also felt it was a linear (by itself not a big issue) but since each step in the progression led to very similar encounter all that was left to sustain interest was that cute victorian/steam punk atmosphere.

All those stellar reviews probably got a bit carried away with the dystopian atmosphere thing and forgot a bit about the game mechanics.

If the combat got varied and intricate on a hard difficulty setting then I think that would be a game fault. A game can/should require variety of weapons and tactics without needing a hard setting.

As far as desire to play and complete was concerned the Last of US - another "linear" and "atmospheric" shooter with a girl companion - was head shoulder and chest above Bioshock Infinite but both have similar metacritic scores.