All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ethan160222
join:2013-10-26

ethan160222

[ALL] Can't change email password

I am experiencing a problem with email (IMAP/POP) passwords.

When I use the Cox website to "Manage Email Addresses" and change the password on a secondary account, it changes the Cox website and webmail password but does NOT change the IMAP/POP password.

When I have Cox technical support change the password for the same account, it changes BOTH the website/webmail password AND the IMAP/POP password.

How can I change the IMAP/POP password myself?

In essence, I am experiencing the exact opposite of the following thread, to which I am not permitted to reply:
»[ALL] Changing email password changes cox.com password?
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

normally when you change the password on the cox website you then have to go into the email application like windows mail and change it there too
ethan160222

ethan160222

Thanks m8trix. The way you described it is how I wish it were working. When I change the password on the Cox website, I must continue to use the OLD password in my email clients. The new password works on the webmail site, but NOT for email clients.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

If possible, try deleting the username and remaking it. If it's for more then one account then look for commonalities. Make sure each username is either using POP or IMAP, not both at the same time.
ethan160222

ethan160222

Thanks Hard Harry. I may just have to give that a go. I presume I'll lose all server-side mail in doing so? Also, is there any risk of not getting the same username back? Finally, do you mean to check POP/IMAP settings on the Cox site or just make sure all clients are using the same protocol?

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Yes, it is probable you will lose your server side email, so it's a good idea to back it up onto a client like outlook first. Risk of not getting your username is pretty small, especially if you add it at the same time, or very close to when you delete it. And last I meant make sure the different clients for the same email use the same protocol. Another words email 1 can use POP and email 2 can use IMAP, but email 1 shouldn't use POP on one PC and IMAP on another device. Actually you should be able to, but its good to first rule it out as a problem.
Hard Harry7

Hard Harry7 to ethan160222

to ethan160222
Yes, it is probable you will lose your server side email, so it's a good idea to back it up onto a client like outlook first. Risk of not getting your username is pretty small, especially if you add it at the same time, or very close to when you delete it. And last I meant make sure the different clients for the same email use the same protocol. Another words email 1 can use POP and email 2 can use IMAP, but email 1 shouldn't use POP on one PC and IMAP on another device. Actually you should be able to, but its good to first rule it out as a problem. Also, make sure your not using Apple Cloud or some other proxy.