Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

Extended 3G & 1X Roaming data question

Hello all

So i live in upstate NY & travel to Akron NY about every other week to an Indian reservation to buy cigarettes. Pretty rural area and once on the reservation i have no native sprint coverage. My Iphone 4S goes into extended 3G or 1X. The extended is pretty painfully slow but usable. Now im starting to notice towards the end of the month the data simply wont work at all.

i read somewhere data usage is of course unlimited on SPRINTS network. so im assuming im not able to use the extended data because i have exceeded what ever the allotment is by the end of the month & my billing cycle.

so my question is Where can i find out what this allotment is & how much i have used?

Ive run into the situation where i cant take the usual route because of an accident and Google maps wont connect and im left hanging until i aimlessly drive to a native coverage area.

Has sprint changed roaming agreements recently? this has happened a few other places that i have never had limited Extended usage, In fact last year or maybe 2 years ago i was visiting a friend in Wrentham mass that had no native coverage and i was on extended 3G for 3 weeks and i wasn't limited or throttled at all.

Thanks

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
You should be able to view your data usage for roaming in your online account management, the general rule I've always seen posted various places online was Sprint deems 150 Mb or less acceptable for data roaming, but I don't recall seeing anything official.

I work in Akron, but just outside of the village, from what I've seen Sprint coverage is pretty strong and I guess we have LTE now. The Seneca Nation will not allow cell towers (or cable for that matter) on their land, so depending on where you are, if your far enough from a tower, you'll have poor signal no matter who your provider is. I used to pick up cancer sticks for a friend of mine at Jan's on Bloomingdale, and my Verizon signal would drop to a bar or two of 1X.

I used to have Sprint and my old job had me delivering down on the Catt. Indian Reservation down in Gowanda and Collins with no native Sprint coverage and I would roam on to VZWs 1X network and they had towers strategically placed just off of rez land. And yes, Google Nav does not work well at all with low signals and 1X connectivity. If I was roaming and had a strong roaming signal, which usually meant a visual lock on a Verizon tower, Google Nav was fine on 1X Roaming, it's once the signal dropped below -100 dB while roaming that I had issues with my Sprint phones.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal Obamacare Now!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

The Seneca Nation will not allow cell towers (or cable for that matter) on their land

I guess the Indians don't use cell phones or watch tv?

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
Like I said, the towers are strategically placed around the rez, so if your lucky enough to live a few miles in you're good, and for the one I used to deliver on, some of the business had repeater setups. As far as internet and TV go, it's all satellite. DirecTV and HughesNet are the dominate providers. Being a big hockey market, almost everyone who had Dish Network left when MSG was removed. Between the reservation I used spend my day on and the one Keefer is talking about, I've seen probably no more then two or three WildBlue dishes.

I'm not sure of the reason why the Nation won't allow cable to be run and towers to be erected, but a lot of the people I talked to, specifically small business owners are pissed off about it.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal Obamacare Now!

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY
reply to Happydude32
Thanks for the great info! sometimes i go to jans or the others in that area.