Search similar:

uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Get air out of cooling system?

2001 Ford Ranger 2.5L engine. Replaced the upper and lower hoses and preventative maintenance. Now there's air in the system. How do I get it out?

I drove 3 miles with the temperature gauge on the coldest setting like it was dead. Pretty sure that wasn't good. Now it fluctuates between normal and cold when driving.

Coolant reservoir hasn't sucked in what it should because of the air in the system.

I'm probably over-reacting, but what signs should I be looking for if I damaged my head gasket?

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

for a 2000 Ranger:
»www.justanswer.com/ford/ ··· ord.html

""Bleed the cooling system as follows:

Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air from the A/C vents in the instrument panel.

WARNING: Do not stand in line with or near the engine cooling fan blade when revving the engine.
Start the engine and allow it to idle. While the engine is idling, feel for hot air from the A/C vents.

CAUTION: If the air discharge remains cool and the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.
Start the engine and allow it to idle until the normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from the A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range, and the upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.

Shut the engine off and allow it to cool.

Check the engine for coolant leaks.

Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle and fill it as necessary."""

link to pdf of shop manual
»ww2.justanswer.com/uploa ··· leed.pdf
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

The coolant level in the overflow went down overnight last night. It's still above where it should be though in the overflow reservoir.

I just tried running it like that said and the temperature gauge never moved. When I started revving the engine and held it at a steady 2k RPM, then the gauge went to where it should be. When I let go and let it go back down to idle, it dropped to cold again.

Where is the head gasket located at in the engine? Is it above the spark plugs, which are above the exhaust manifold? I don't see any weird smoke coming from the exhaust.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

If there is air in the system, several heat and cool cycles may clear it out.

Head gasket is below the manifold. If it is leaking you probably won't see anything. Signs would be steam in the exhaust or water in the oil.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

2001 Ford Ranger 2.5L engine. Replaced the upper and lower hoses and preventative maintenance. Now there's air in the system. How do I get it out?

Bleed the system. Look for a bleeder valve or bleeder screw near the highest point on the manifold or on the water outlet housing if it is the highest point above the intake manifold.
said by fartness:

I drove 3 miles with the temperature gauge on the coldest setting like it was dead. Pretty sure that wasn't good. Now it fluctuates between normal and cold when driving.

Make sure the radiator cap is good and the vacuum valve in the center is not damaged or corroded, that is what allows the system to "suck" fluid from the overflow reservoir as the engine cools down.

If your engine doesn't come up to operating temps at idle, then you may have a partially stuck open thermostat (image in link). Replace it if in doubt, or remove it and test it before replacing it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· yG-fntRk

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· GKdICJmc
said by fartness:

Coolant reservoir hasn't sucked in what it should because of the air in the system.

Doesn't work that way as air compresses and water/coolant doesn't therefore it will overflow when hot. The system blows out approximately a quart of coolant when system is fully hot due to normal cooling system expansion and then returns the overflow coolant when the engine is shut off/cooled down if the radiator cap is working and is the right type. No lever release radiator caps should ever be used on systems with overflow tanks. If in doubt, replace the radiator cap with an OEM design.
said by fartness:

I'm probably over-reacting, but what signs should I be looking for if I damaged my head gasket?

Depends on if you had a major overheat occur. Usually the oil will end up with coolant mixed into it so the oil now looks like chocolate milkshake. You will normally see constant white steam out the tailpipe when cold and it does not stop when fully warmed up like condensation in the exhaust does as the exhaust system gets up to operating temps. Sometime you can see external leaks where the head gasket is located between the head and block and other times it is internally leaking into the cooling system so exhaust gases can be bubbling in the radiator neck or pressure tank when the cap is removed.

Milkshake seen here:

»Can you say Milkshake, Extra Thick!
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Would oil leaking out of a valve cover gasket be caused by this? I think the oil looks old, or maybe I'm talking about something else.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by fartness:

Would oil leaking out of a valve cover gasket be caused by this?

No. That's likely a valve cover gasket.