how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tgirten

join:2013-10-21
Orange Park, FL

[Equipment] WRTP54G router (no VoIP) to extend range of uVerse i38HG

I currently have uverse and need to extend the wireless range in my home. I have an old WRTP54G vonage router that I want to use behind the uverse router. How do I set this up? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Certainly you can use it as an additional Wireless Access Point
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Using it as a wireless repeater is way more work!
»wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/rtp···_wrtp54g
»wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clien···&s[]=sta

If I needed a wireless repeater, I would buy »www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···=TP-LINK and configure it as a universal repeater.
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to tgirten

Run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port of the i38HG to wherever you're having connectivity problems. If running a cable is difficult, try using powerline adapters (these send Ethernet over your household power) or MoCA (Ethernet over TV coaxial cables). MoCA will generally give better results but equipment is harder to find.

At the other end of this cable, install the WRTP54G configured as an access point as outlined above.

Don't use a wireless repeater unless you're OK with halving your speed - i.e. this could work OK for web access but wouldn't work for file sharing or media playback, particularly video. I would guess from the name of your WRTP54G that it uses g wireless networking at 54 Mbps - optimal real-world speeds would be about half that, 27 Mbps, and half of that would be down to 13.5 Mbps, and that's the best it can get. Borderline for file sharing and video playback.

If you have any fixed clients like media players or Smart TVs it would be best to just skip the wireless portion entirely and wire then using Ethernet, powerline or MoCA.

tgirten

join:2013-10-21
Orange Park, FL

Thank you! I will try the powerline adapters. What brand would you recommend?

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

I don't use them yet myself so I couldn't tell you. There are a few of them reviewed and compared here:

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/p···rts/view

Although they don't cover nearly as many devices as their router reviews, other products of the same "generation" (HomePlug AV, HomePlug AV 500, HomePlug AV2) perform similarly since there are very few chipset manufacturers and the same chipset is used by different manufacturers.