uniqs
d4diesel
Premium Member
join:2007-09-03
Springfield, MO

d4diesel

Premium Member

Customer owned gateway

I'd like to make ready for a change to u-verse using identical setups at home(5 wired computers) and at work (20 wired computers). I'm not expert in networking but I have adsl setup myself at both locations. I'd like to own my own gateway with the following capabilities:
- ability to do bridge mode or similar config. to connect to a Cisco wired/wireless router with the DHCP on the router.
- no TV, no voice. Just VDSL2 internet service.

I'd like to install myself. I'd like to own all my own equipment. Let's assume I'm 300 meters from the CO or cabinet where the fiber ends.

Which gateway do you recommend? Which Cisco wired and wireless router do u recommend? What would be the most efficient combination?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

If you just are getting VDSL2 Internet only, and you are not getting voice or TV, and you are going to use your own Router for WiFi/Wired connectivity, get yourself 2 of the Motorola 2310s. The exception would be if you are planning on ordering a Static IP block, which would then require the 2Wire/Pace 3600 or 5031

Keep in mind you would require a leased modem if you are far enough away from the VRAD that your service requires pair bonding, or you are going with a speed tier that requires pair bonding (for now the 45 Mbps Power Tier)

Geoff
@swbell.net

Geoff

Anon

the Motorola 2310's use a DMZ feature to accomplish the "bridging" ? Any problems losing port 80 or other ports with the DMZ feature?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Geoff :

the Motorola 2310's use a DMZ feature to accomplish the "bridging" ? Any problems losing port 80 or other ports with the DMZ feature?

The Moto 2310 (VDSL2)/2210 (ADSL2+) has an option to pass the public IP directly to the device connected to the Ethernet port. The actual options I believe are "Use Public IP" or "Use Private IP"

That is about as close to bridging as you can get in U-Verse
d4diesel
Premium Member
Springfield, MO

d4diesel

Premium Member

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll have a look here for more info on the 2310"s.
d4diesel

d4diesel to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U

Found a 2310 with :
ATTENTION BUYER:
These are Firmware v783r7, and may not be usable in your area.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to d4diesel

to d4diesel
AT&T has new modems in the field again. They are Pace modems. They're a combo gateway and do both VDSL & ADSL2+. The modems are much better than the Mots. that are floating around. But these modems are few and fair between.

www.pace.com/americas/products/gateways/vdsl/5168nv/
d4diesel
Premium Member
Springfield, MO

d4diesel

Premium Member

Thanks, I appreciate the information and will certainly check them out.