uniqs
share rss forum feed

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

[TV] Rogers much more expensive that Bell Fibe TV

In visiting one of my clients who very recently transitioned from Rogers to Bell everything I must admit that Rogers Value Proposition is under sever attack specifically on the TV side of the equation.

What impressed me was Wireless TV and how inexpensive Bell rents out the wireless receivers plus the HDPVR .... 7/month for each box and NO contracts. The wireless TV works very nicely. Now seriously considering wireless Tv from Bell.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Stalker42

join:2008-01-10
hohoho
I don't have any sympathy for Bell but I agree I have all three services and I'm finding my bill is really expensive , Home phone seems to have gone up and the only thing I really get a discount ( 80%) on Is internet

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to mozerd
Rogers doesn't offer a wireless solutions, but the retail rate for rental equipment with Bell Fibe and Rogers is actually pretty much the same. Rogers charges about $2.50 more on their latest PVR, but on paper you could argue it's technologically superior to the Bell PVR. Both providers don't do contracts anymore either.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
A term discount which must be repaid if you leave before the end of the term is a de facto contract.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by JAC70:

A term discount which must be repaid if you leave before the end of the term is a de facto contract.

Both Rogers and Bell don't do that anymore.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to yyzlhr
My nextbox 3 costs me 17/month .... Thats a far cry fom Bell which is FREE and the bell wireless TV receivers are 7/month. No comparison frm my perspective.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by mozerd:

My nextbox 3 costs me 17/month .... Thats a far cry fom Bell which is FREE and the bell wireless TV receivers are 7/month. No comparison frm my perspective.

Bell PVRs are not free unless you're taking some sort of promo. My comparison was based on regular non promotional pricing.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to mozerd
I looked into their wireless TV, the packages are very expensive, at least for what they quoted me. Obviously, their basic TV package doesn't include SportsNet, which is about the only thing I really watch these days on cable, during the baseball season anyway, and some AMC on demand.

I get my boxes for free from Rogers...if it's an ongoing 12 month commitment, seemingly renewable. So I pay $59+tax per month for VIP cable with 3 boxes. Bell quoted me $95 for the same package. (although about $20 of that was for their sports package)

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
IMHO one of the important factors in the Bell/Rogers comparison should be hardware reliability. After spending many hours in Rogers Wonderland I've come to the conclusion the Nextbox 3 is a disaster on wheels. Never seen a piece of hardware so dysfunctional.

This factor alone is driving me to Shaw Direct satellite in the near future not to mention the pathetic digital packages/pricing Rogers offers.

Don't know what Bell's hardware is like............just that they're thieves like Rogers.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
said by elitefx:

This factor alone is driving me to Shaw Direct satellite in the near future not to mention the pathetic digital packages/pricing Rogers offers.

Bell is no better, just try to goto their site and try to find a straight answer and find a package without any promo's, packages, terms or bundles - good luck. I agree with you that Shaw is probably the least "confusing" in terms of pricing/packages.

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mozerd
In my experience, both bell and Rogers have similar off contract pricing. They both try to undercut each other within $10. That's the effects of market competition. Rogers never worried about Bell with expressvu cause it didn't have the reliability to be at all concerned, and their billing proved it. But FIBE has them worried. This is why nextbox packages are now free box rental for 36 months and then for $1 you can buy the boxes at the end of term. They never offered anything like that till bell actually offered a competitive product.
Like or hate either company without Bell Rogers pricing would be a lot higher, and same vice versa. A good example is my grandmother lived in a building which until recently was Bell only for telephone. Her rates steadily increased to $84/month with unlimited long distance, no features. The same package at my mother's where Rogers was available was $54/month. Both off contract.
Expand your moderator at work

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to mozerd

Re: [TV] Rogers much more expensive that Bell Fibe TV

Take all your opinions and what you have researched and post a note for the crtc to view in their review of tv services »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/talktv-parlon···ersation