Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert

Re: Confusing and gratuitous

I thought everyone had seen it by now. "Talking to yourself" is what you see when you go to edit a post here now.

I suppose it is an attempt at humor and since people don't react the same to "humor", I imagine some will think it funny, others will like it even though they don't think it funny, and some will react as I did.

Note that my screenshot shows the word "again" added at the end of "Talking to yourself". The "again" is added when you edit the same post a second time. I tend to leave out articles, prepositions and I type the wrong word sometimes. As I have gotten older I do these things more frequently and "proofreading" before actually posting doesn't catch the errors as well as it did when I was younger. Consequently, I find myself catching the errors immediately after I post and I fix them in an edit but then, more times than I like, I find another one when I post the edit. Thus, editing is a bit of a sore spot for me and that is probably behind my reaction that this was silly and should just say "edit" or say nothing.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

said by Mele20:

I thought everyone had seen it by now. "Talking to yourself" is what you see when you go to edit a post here now.

I had not noticed that. I guess I'm not paying attention.

I don't actually edit very often. I usually preview, and catch most of the typos there. And some typos I decide to just leave, because people will be able to see what was intended.

But I did edit my prior post in this thread, to add that parenthesized remark. I did that early enough that the post does not report any edits.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

grobinette to Mele20

MVM,

to Mele20
quote:
Talking to yourself again
I think they modified it because that is from a first edit on a post. It does seem to be a rather flippant remark for just editing a post.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Oh. So, I guess that means that the act of creating a reply (or starting a new topic) is considered by this site to be "Talking to yourself" if editing, even just once, is now labeled "Talking to yourself again". Lovely.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle

koam to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I agree that this is useless and confusing copy on the page.

I propose that "talking to yourself" messages be removed.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

It did not do this to me on a new topic screen just now.

But I too edit a lot after posting, and had also noticed the expression when doing THAT.

But there are a few other items which are higher on my list of things to fix/improve with the UI of this site, so I said nothing about this one until now.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Well, it didn't do it to you this time probably because you were posting here in the middle of the mess caused by Liquidweb's Cisco firmware upgrade and just before Justin took the site down while Liquidweb fixed things. All sorts of strange things were happening just before (and later too) Justin took action. Things are still a bit odd. My postlist/all doesn't show a new unread post in this thread. I saw your reply only because I was in this forum looking for a thread on the site outage.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I just now found your reply because my Post List DID tell me.

But it still is missing a few threads which I was following from earlier on.

The 'New Topic' button continues to not show that phrase to me in the resulting window.

(BTW, my last post was also the last one which I had made before noticing the site beginning to fail, in that other forums were missing, etc.)

So anyway, has the fit finished hitting the shan around here ?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Just noticed it when I edited a new post. I agree - remove it as service no purpose.
robertc
Premium Member
join:2009-05-11
Pasadena, CA

1 recommendation

robertc

Premium Member

I agree also. Don't have "talking to yourself"