HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 edit

HarryH3

Premium Member

Are power outages killing your SSD's?

From »www.extremetech.com/comp ··· our-ssds

It seems that some testing has revealed a common failure mode for most SSD's on the market.

"... a report from the 11th Usenix Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST 13), given early this year, suggests most models have a fundamental problem with sudden power loss."

Interesting reading.

Cue the "but MY system has been running an SSD forever with no problems" replies.
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

zach3

Premium Member

I have always had UPS's on all of my computers so have not encountered any such difficulties.

In fact I have always considered a computer system without a UPS an accident waiting to happen.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

But MY system has been running an SSD virtually forever with no problems.

In any case, last year I ran into SSD issues at work, and as a result, one manufacturer's SSDs were pulled out of the build, costing them quite a bit of money. And I didn't even tried to cut power, only did a reset while keeping the power on. (our product has a battery) Here are the SMART stats of one SSD: »Re: degradation of SSDs

I think there are 2 basic ways to make SSDs resistant to sudden power outages:
a) include some kind of temporary power source, be it a supercap or a battery
b) use journaling and temporary internal backups during writes

The issue with a) is cost, plus it requires some space, which may not be available in certain form factors such as mSATA
The issue with b) is that it could cut write performance in half

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to HarryH3

Mod

to HarryH3
I like the comment fields in some areas.

You're going to get a bunch of "Been running SSD for 71 years, thousands of power outages, runs better than your new one everything ok".

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to HarryH3

to HarryH3
That's quite a scary revelation - even with supercaps it seems there are widespread problems.

I'm using a UPS and I'm using a journalling file system (ext4) but it still makes me wonder...

Although I could say "but MY system has been running an SSD forever with no problems" (this is true) it doesn't mean I'm immune to them or will never have them.