Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

Re: Does Comcast throttle?

said by Johkal:

An account issue as example would be sending the wrong config file to your SB6120. With the speed test you posted, it could be Performance Starter which is 6/1.

When I do a speedtest, it quickly starts at 20mbps and then rapidly drops to ~8mbps regardless of device. Typically with a speed set by a config file it wouldn't do that. Also my modem does not show a new config file being downloaded in the logs.

Also, I've only ever had this one DOCSIS 3 modem. I never had another modem with them before, and this one is owned by me. I'm not renting it, so I have no idea why this old model would be showing up at all.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Can you run the shaper probe test (run it a couple times to find an average)
»netinfer.com/diffprobe/s ··· obe.html
I suspect they have you on the wrong tier.
ssavoy
Premium Member
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

I actually ran that last night and got a shaping rate of around ~7600kbps.

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 203.5.76.164.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 1298 Kbps.
Downstream: 8005 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 1269 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7765 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

No shaping or throttling. Looks like you might be on an 8/1 tier. The 20 mbps burst sounds like PowerBoost, which only works for a few seconds
ssavoy
Premium Member
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

I thought they got rid of PowerBoost a few months ago. Calling them in such a pain. Last night their system definitely broke around 12:30am eastern - it couldn't pull up my billing info on the online account. This morning I called and their system put me on hold for 5 minutes before telling me to hang up and call again. Then finally I got through to someone on the 3rd try who just blamed my non-existent DOCSIS 2 modem and wanted to send a tech out. When I called a few months ago they fixed it in 10 minutes.

Maybe the 4th time will work.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

PB is gone one the Upstream, still exists downstream, but becomes fairly unimportant on higher tiers, as new speeds are offered.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

FWIW, I no longer have PB here on either since they made the Blast tier 50 Mbps down.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to ssavoy

MVM

to ssavoy
Any way, what ever modem shows up on your devices page, it is irrelevant to your issue. You need to verify your provisioning.
ssavoy
Premium Member
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

Any way, what ever modem shows up on your devices page, it is irrelevant to your issue. You need to verify your provisioning.

Thanks. I called them again. They immediately blamed my non-existent DOCSIS 2 modem, so I had to explain all over that I actually had a DOCSIS 3 modem, so I had to tell them the serial number and MAC Address again. Although 5 minutes later, the rep said, "It may be because you have an SB5100 DOCSIS 2 modem".

I asked for a roll-and-reprovision but he seemed hesitant and just scheduled a technician visit for Tuesday, which I know is not truly necessary, but I just let them do it this time. They were nice enough to try and upsell me on their Total Protection for $3.95/month, though.

In reality they don't do anything but tell me to reboot my modem.

Is it worth a 5th call to avoid a tech visit? Is there some escalation line I can call? I remember getting a guy from Pennsylvania that spoke perfect English once. That was nice.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I would post in the Direct forum & point them to this topic: »Comcast Direct

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

PB is gone one the Upstream, still exists downstream...

Really? I guess someone forgot to tell my modem.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.202.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7797 Kbps.
Downstream: 20533 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 4762-4930 KB;
Shaping rate: 3192 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 10048-10214 KB;
Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

FWIW, ShaperProbe pretty much has it pegged; I am on the 16/3 speed tier.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

Really? I guess someone forgot to tell my modem.

I guess I should add
Your mileage WILL vary as no two franchises are the same.
ssavoy
Premium Member
Dallas, PA

1 edit

ssavoy

Premium Member

Okay so the problem seems to have resolved itself but not without another question.

My modem randomly rebooted at midnight and attempted to download the d11_m_sb5100_silver_c01.cm configuration file, then immediately afterwards in the log it says "SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file".
EDIT: I just noticed it is downloading the sb5100 firmware on my SB6120. No wonder why it's failing...
EDIT 2: I noticed I have lost IPv6 connectivity. It's IPv4 only now.
However, my speeds have returned to normal.

I have a tech visit still scheduled. Should I cancel it? I can probably postpone it until Thursday afternoon just to make sure it holds up.