uniqs
share rss forum feed

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to ariez

Re: ports not stealth

With either condition those ports will not respond to a port scan, so it is not a security problem for you.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
said by PrntRhd:

With either condition those ports will not respond to a port scan, so it is not a security problem for you.

Technically a closed port does respond to a port scan, it does it with a RST, ie there is no program listening. A stealthed port does not respond at all.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

TopShelf

join:2010-06-25
said by TheWiseGuy:

Technically a closed port does respond to a port scan, it does it with a RST, ie there is no program listening. A stealthed port does not respond at all.

I've no opinion regarding stealth or closed. Either state is acceptable to me. However, the "All Service Ports" @ GRC.com shows stealth for all except for two ports showing as closed. How does one go about finding out why Port 111 (sunrpc) and Port 369 (rpc2portmap) are showing as closed as opposed to stealth? I have the wireless portion of my Linksys E900 turned off. I'm just curious why these two ports report as being closed. Any ideas or insights are appreciated.
--
The only thing North Korea could wipe out in four minutes is a South Korean all-you-can-eat buffet.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
The scan may have been intercepted at a point upstream from you.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to TopShelf
The Linksys appears to have a Log facility under the administration tab. You could enable the incoming log portion and check to see what packets are logged. As mentioned it may be that those ports are being intercepted by the ISP but that would be much more common for the original posters netbios ports. Once you set up logging you can run the test or just test those ports and see which packets the router receives from grc. If you do not see incoming from grc for those ports and you want to go further you could forward port 111 to your computer and run wireshark to see if the packets reach your computer.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.