gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Airport Extreme

Are they any good? Or all hype?
Anyone here have one that you can give a little review on it?

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Here's a review from Small Net Builder....
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

4 edits

haroldo to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
A little review...
Never had any problems.
I had problems with other brands.
Extremely easy to configure, especially compared to the Linksys that this replaced.
AE lets you know when it needs updating. Almost all of the 'average users' end up with connectivity issues since they're not aware of updates...and get intimidated if they try to update. You can EASILY set up a second network.
Finally, compared to Linksys, etc., the AE is pretty
I recommend it

RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

A little review...
Never had any problems.
Extremely easy to configure, especially compared to the Linksys that this replaced.
AE lets you know when it needs updating. Almost all of the 'average users' end up with connectivity issues since they're not aware of updates...and get intimidated if they try to update. You can EASILY set up a second network.
I recommend it

I agree with this, been running my AE for about 3-4yrs so far. Had a Linksys WRT54G previously for 2yrs (didn't have issues with it either) but I wanted something Wifi-N capable and got a D-Link Gaming Router prior to my AE. Will be upgrading my AE to Wifi-AC when I move next year and prob sell my old one or leave it at my parents for my sister.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Do you guys know if it works well with a Roku device?
I had a WRT54G and matching cable modem. That would give me trouble connecting the roku. But then eventually it connected.

I recently bought a motorola sb4161 cable modem or something like that. And a Linksys EA3500. It seemed real nice until I noticed that wireless connectivity was a bit shoddy. And the PS3 simply got disconnected and it's connected via ethernet. But at the same time all wireless devices where fine. That never happened with the old equipment. And there are no updates for the new devices. Oh, and the Roku? Ooooh man what a nightmare. It sees the wifi network, but damn you simply can't connect to it. Even if you remove the security it will not connect. It takes a lot of singing and dancing to get it to connect.

So I just want to make sure that the AE actually stays connected, and works well with a Roku. (it should since the AE is listed on their site as a recommended device)
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

No problem with my Roku boxes w/an AE.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I have the latest Air Port Extreme and I like it. Good performance
DaveInAz
join:2011-05-04
Chandler, AZ

DaveInAz

I have a Time Capsule (AE with a hard drive) and have had no problems with my Roku box. A word of warning - Mavericks "breaks" the logging function on the router. You will not be able to see any logs. Until Mavericks, you could use the "old" Airport Utility 5.6.1 which still had the log capability. With Mavericks you have to use the newer version of Airport Utility that dropped the Logging and Statistics features.
Good luck!
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by DaveInAz:

I have a Time Capsule (AE with a hard drive) and have had no problems with my Roku box. A word of warning - Mavericks "breaks" the logging function on the router. You will not be able to see any logs. Until Mavericks, you could use the "old" Airport Utility 5.6.1 which still had the log capability. With Mavericks you have to use the newer version of Airport Utility that dropped the Logging and Statistics features.
Good luck!

Hmm, I don't like that. I have 3 old school Airport Expresses that I can't manage w/the new Airport Utility. Guess if they need re-configuring I have an excuse to upgrade.....
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to DaveInAz

to DaveInAz
said by DaveInAz:

Mavericks "breaks" the logging function on the router.

I found this out over the weekend, really annoying.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Well guys I went and got a NetGear n900. It was cheaper. But it seems that this actually works very well. And even the Roku box connected right away on the first try. ...ya know, like it should.

If it would have failed though, I would have returned it and gotten the AE.

Thanks for the help though.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

A little review...
Never had any problems.
I recommend it

Great review haroldo spot on my experience as well.
I find Small Net Builder to be a valuable site, but they tend to snub Apple products, and leave the parts out in their reviews that haroldo included in his ...

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

A little review...
I recommend it

I'd consider it but the 'pretty' shape stops me. My router is mounted out of site. I don't want a box taking up desk space even if it's a Jony drool piece.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Nezmo:

said by haroldo:

... the AE is pretty
I recommend it

I'd consider it but the 'pretty' shape stops me. My router is mounted out of site. I don't want a box taking up desk space even if it's a Jony drool piece.

An elegant solution for the high end comsumer »www.topbrandtv.com/produ ··· R9PXE2-5
A not so elegant inspriation for a solution for the rest of us »theakumalian.com/images/ ··· o[1].jpg

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by haroldo:

said by Nezmo:

said by haroldo:

... the AE is pretty
I recommend it

An elegant solution for the high end comsumer »www.topbrandtv.com/produ ··· R9PXE2-5
A not so elegant inspriation for a solution for the rest of us »theakumalian.com/images/ ··· o[1].jpg

haha

Seriously though, why put all that design in to a box when at the end of the day it's going to have a spider's web of cables coming out of it anyway? Confused.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Nezmo:

haha

Seriously though, why put all that design in to a box when at the end of the day it's going to have a spider's web of cables coming out of it anyway? Confused.

Well, if the wires all come from the back, most of what one sees from the front is the white box. Once you get used to the simplicity of AE, the Linksys contraption looks like it should be in a back room at NASA...or the NSA.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by haroldo:

said by Nezmo:

haha

Well, if the wires all come from the back, most of what one sees from the front is the white box. Once you get used to the simplicity of AE, the Linksys contraption looks like it should be in a back room at NASA...or the NSA.

Right but my desk is not against a wall. Doesn't work for me. I just need something that gets the job done - not something that looks like it belongs in a modern art museum, lol.

Just kinda current for me as I'm looking to get something a little more powerful and prepare for ac. It won't be the Apple device.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
Click for full size
I don't know, but I think my Time Capsule looks pretty good using that mount. I took that photo at that specific angle to show the "spiderweb of cables" other wise they are hardly noticeable if just looking into the closet where its kept ...

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson

Are we showing off our AirPort Extremes then? Mine just sits on the table in the living room.

mmmm_beer
join:2002-03-14
Scottsdale, AZ

mmmm_beer to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
I have an Time Capsule, which is basically the Airport Extreme with a hard drive for backups. I really like it, but for the past 4-5 months the Wireless has been very flaky, it randomly disappears, but the wired connections are all still active. Sometimes it will come back, sometimes I need to reboot it to come back. Of course this behavior started within a month or two of the warranty expiring. I have done a lot of reading on the apple forums and it appears to be a fairly common problem with these. Pretty soon, I am going to replace the wireless with something a lot more reliable.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

1 edit

not quite right to rjackson

to rjackson
Click for full size
said by rjackson:

Are we showing off our AirPort Extremes then? Mine just sits on the table in the living room.

Dude you're so getting brain cancer from that position ... just saying.
Here's my "new" AirPort Express at the other end of my house serving as a Wi-Fi extender out of sight high on top of my entertainment center ... (Excuse the dust)

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right
said by not quite right:

I don't know, but I think my Time Capsule looks pretty good using that mount. I took that photo at that specific angle to show the "spiderweb of cables" other wise they are hardly noticeable if just looking into the closet where its kept ...

Obviously the new router is meant for desktop use otherwise why make it so pretty. That was simply my point. Obviously mounting the model you show like you have is more discrete.

It's a router. Hidden from view totally is what I like.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to mmmm_beer

to mmmm_beer
said by mmmm_beer:

I have done a lot of reading on the apple forums and it appears to be a fairly common problem with these. Pretty soon, I am going to replace the wireless with something a lot more reliable.

I don't have that problem. Rock solid wired & Wi-Fi performance.
not quite right

not quite right to Nezmo

to Nezmo
Click for full size
said by Nezmo:

Obviously the new router is meant for desktop use otherwise why make it so pretty.

Oh I get it now, you meant this one. I'm having a Duh moment ...

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right
said by not quite right:

said by mmmm_beer:

I have done a lot of reading on the apple forums and it appears to be a fairly common problem with these. Pretty soon, I am going to replace the wireless with something a lot more reliable.

I don't have that problem. Rock solid wired & Wi-Fi performance.

Same. I see a lot of Time Capsules and Airport Extremes in my travels, all rock solid.

I'm even using two Extreme's for a wireless bridge (~80 feet separation and some trees between) and the link is much faster, more stable, and more secure than a pair of Linksys wrt54gs units (and both Linksys had high gain directional antenna). The Extreme's are even better than a pair of 600mW high power Amped Wireless Professional units (with directional antenna).

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I agree, very stable, fast and trouble free. The new ones support 802.11ac as well. One disappointing thing about the new ones is Apple took away SNMP support. So my iNet network analyzer can not monitor it. My 2 older models (all 3 are Time Capsules) can be monitored, but not the new one.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to bbarrera

to bbarrera
said by bbarrera:

The Extreme's are even better than a pair of 600mW high power Amped Wireless Professional units (with directional antenna).

Damn straight! I learned this while working at a CompUSA (big store). We were having problems getting Wi-Fi to all parts of the store. We tried Zyxel, Netgear, and Linksys routers with various amplified antennas with little success. One of the Apple techs brought out a AirPort Extreme that had been returned, and suggested we try that. That unit supplied the whole store without fail until it closed years later. Made me a believer ...

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

said by bbarrera:

The Extreme's are even better than a pair of 600mW high power Amped Wireless Professional units (with directional antenna).

Damn straight! I learned this while working at a CompUSA (big store). We were having problems getting Wi-Fi to all parts of the store. We tried Zyxel, Netgear, and Linksys routers with various amplified antennas with little success. One of the Apple techs brought out a AirPort Extreme that had been returned, and suggested we try that. That unit supplied the whole store without fail until it closed years later. Made me a believer ...

So their range is pretty good then?

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
From my experience, yes ...

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

same here, good range. Wireless performance is very good and its a stable, supported router/bridge/extender.