spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ssiard

join:2013-10-27

Building new house, what is this box...

I am looking at buying a spec house that is currently being built. No house in this subdivision is complete and no house has working internals. I am trying to understand whether it will have uverse or something else. The development company believes it will have uverse FTTP but fios is also in the area and was listed in one of their internal documents.

This is a picture of the ATT box next to the black coserve electricity box. This is on the opposite side of the street.

This is a closeup showing ATT.

Does this box mean this house will have FTTP? I say this because it is similar to what fios does.

This is a picture in front of the spec house that I am looking at buying

What is the tall box in this picture? It is in the same place as the ATT box judging by the black coserve electricity box. It has "charles" and "ground line" written on it.

I don't see the in-ground ATT box show above anywhere. Can anyone explain this? Zip code is 75025. The address does not show up on google maps. Website says the address does not provide uverse.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

In new housing developments, Telco's would run basic copper wiring to the Interface Box on the house. Now I think they only bring it to a Box on the curb, until you order service.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ssiard

The box looks like a typical hand-hole for underground cable. I have not seen an FTTP neighborhood around here but I know that I have not seen hand-holes like that for copper. I have only seen them used with underground conduit when pulling fiber. We only have light green pedestals every couple houses.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to ssiard

The first two pics are hand holes, usually in ground splices for Fiber

The third pic is a fiber pedestal

That looks very AT&T FTTP

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ssiard

It is amazing that there is still building going on in that zipcode. I thought that area was pretty much done being built quite a few years ago. You are definitely in the very lucky small pocket of Plano that can be served by both Uverse and FiOS. That should definitely help property values in the future.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

BRoss

@12.71.177.x
reply to ssiard

Those boxes are identical to what my neighborhood has and we have FTTP.

BRoss

@12.71.177.x
reply to ssiard

More specific, I am in Austin. I am not sure exactly what each box does, but I have a box similar to the first picture in my yard. When they came to install my FTTP all of the fiber wires were just coiled up in the green box. The fiber tech just pulled them out and ran them to the side of the house and installed the exterior box to convert to cat5.

ssiard

reply to rolande

Thanks for the info everyone. I feel more confident that I can get uverse at this new home! Now how do I convince ATT that I can get uverse considering their website says no? lol.

What are the odds that it is ready for 45mb speed?

said by rolande:

It is amazing that there is still building going on in that zipcode. I thought that area was pretty much done being built quite a few years ago. You are definitely in the very lucky small pocket of Plano that can be served by both Uverse and FiOS. That should definitely help property values in the future.

There are only a few small developments left. This subdivision and one other that I know about, although I do see a few cow's along 121 so not sure how long those farmer will last before selling to a home development.

I see no evidence of FiOS in the subdivision so it probably doesn't have it. Would be nice to have the competition but that is likely cost prohibitive for them to compete with each other.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

Is your address in the USPS Database yet? If yes, continue. If no, it needs to get into the USPS Database first - I think AT&T references that for potential service locations

First, try calling Sales @ 800.288.2020 and talking to a human being. Let the Sales Agent know you are in a new construction Fiber to the Premise Neighborhood. If the Agent after checking still says service is unavailable, request an Availability Escalation case -- if the Agent does not know what that is, ask for a Supervisor until you get someone who does. You will get a Case Number to reference the check (should start with a G and be about 8-9 digits long). Make note of the case number and if a follow up phone number is provided, as well as date/time of the call, and if you can get it, the AT&T ID number of the Agent (should be 6 characters in AB1234 or AB123C format)

Give that about a week, see if there is a follow up information. If you are still "unavailable" send this case number information with dates/times you called Sales with the Agent's ID to attempt to order service, in addition to your full name, full Postal address of the future service location, contact phone number(s)/email address(es), a link to this thread, and let it be known you are in an AT&T FTTP neighborhood. Send all that info to either uversecare@att.com or Post it in the AT&T Direct forum here @ dslreports.

Again, it is requested that the attempt be made for availability issues thru Sales before the Social Media team @ uversecare@att.com or the guys here @ the Direct forum take the case

Out of curiosity, are there any stickers on the Pedestal in picture 3? Typically, there should be a set of address stickers that ID the ped, as well as a "Call 811 before you Dig" AT&T sticker as well

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3

AFAIK, no FTTP customers at all have 45Mbps.
Some still stuck even at max 18Mbps.
Austin supposed to real-soon-now signal a change in the FTTP-lags-copper upside-down ATT universe.

ssiard

reply to ILpt4U

said by ILpt4U:

Is your address in the USPS Database yet? If yes, continue. If no, it needs to get into the USPS Database first - I think AT&T references that for potential service locations

First, try calling Sales @ 800.288.2020 and talking to a human being. Let the Sales Agent know you are in a new construction Fiber to the Premise Neighborhood. If the Agent after checking still says service is unavailable, request an Availability Escalation case -- if the Agent does not know what that is, ask for a Supervisor until you get someone who does. You will get a Case Number to reference the check (should start with a G and be about 8-9 digits long). Make note of the case number and if a follow up phone number is provided, as well as date/time of the call, and if you can get it, the AT&T ID number of the Agent (should be 6 characters in AB1234 or AB123C format)

Give that about a week, see if there is a follow up information. If you are still "unavailable" send this case number information with dates/times you called Sales with the Agent's ID to attempt to order service, in addition to your full name, full Postal address of the future service location, contact phone number(s)/email address(es), a link to this thread, and let it be known you are in an AT&T FTTP neighborhood. Send all that info to either uversecare@att.com or Post it in the AT&T Direct forum here @ dslreports.

Again, it is requested that the attempt be made for availability issues thru Sales before the Social Media team @ uversecare@att.com or the guys here @ the Direct forum take the case

Out of curiosity, are there any stickers on the Pedestal in picture 3? Typically, there should be a set of address stickers that ID the ped, as well as a "Call 811 before you Dig" AT&T sticker as well

Well this is going to put me in a bind. The builder wants an answer on the house today. My answer is yes if it has uverse lol.

Called the 800.288.2020 number and they see the address. Land line voice is available but uverse is not. Could they have put the fiber down but not attached it to the rest of the uverse system? Could those boxes really not be fiber? They did escalate it to engineers but said it would take up to 2 weeks for an answer. The id is G98814407.

I haven't been able to check for stickers in the Pedestal of picture 3.

attprz

@sbcglobal.net

i am 95% confident that you will get Uverse with the pictures you have shown. Home phone should be available immediately, but uverse should take anywhere from first day you move in till at least more houses are built to activate uverse in your neighborhood.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ssiard

Are there any other houses already completed with people moved in? Your best bet might be to go door to door, if possible, and poll the current residents as to service availability or even look on the side of their homes to see if anyone has an ONT installed. Just tell them you are looking to go into contract on the particular spec house and you are trying to find out about broadband service availability in the neighborhood. Another option might be to find an existing address and lookup service availability. Duh. I just reread your first post where you said no house is complete or moved in yet.

If I had to bet, based on the pictures you've posted, the neighborhood is built for AT&T FTTP. AT&T won't go to the trouble and cost to install it without quickly deploying the services infrastructure. It is likely already deployed and just a matter of the fiber in the ground being terminated and cross-connected.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

ssiard

I'm told that the temporary trailer home at the community entrance is using uverse already so that is a very good sign! Do you think they would actually run FTTP for the ~8 months before the model is built? o.O

brookeKrige

San Jose, CA

Then it might have a (hopefully external) ONT or NID. Post a photo for identification of which it is. Can also use the model's address in an online check-availability; if says the address already has service, click that you'll be moving there (to hopefully tell you the services and speeds available: if 45Mbps Power is offered there, you know it's not FTTP).

ssiard

said by brookeKrige:

Then it might have a (hopefully external) ONT or NID. Post a photo for identification of which it is. Can also use the model's address in an online check-availability; if says the address already has service, click that you'll be moving there (to hopefully tell you the services and speeds available

The model home isn't complete. I am actually looking to buy one of the model homes, a spec home. It is just a mobile construction trailer right now. I'll try to get pictures of the back today but its been raining so it is likely a muddy disaster.

said by brookeKrige:

if 45Mbps Power is offered there, you know it's not FTTP).

Isn't FTTP the better technology? But it doesn't have the higher tiers (yet)?

brookeKrige

San Jose, CA

1 edit

The fiber itself is better, if you choose not to cripple it. ATT chooses neither to upgrade the HW on the ends of the fiber, nor to offer better profiles/provisioning (when the HW is already in place). They deliberately hold some FTTP regions only at Max-Plus/18Mbps, rest Max-Turbo/24Mbps.

Claimed hamstrung by (evidently local) regulations not to cherry-pick neighborhoods for faster speeds until recently (after google set the precedent). »stopthecap.com/2013/05/15/att-wi···d-areas/

Yet their own FTTP upgrade decisions hold regions at 18Mbps (less than max copper). Yet xDSL technologies for all time implicitly deliver wide range of max available speeds, in direct correlation to their own decisions of where to build-out with IRAD/VRADs, versus leaving vast old DSL areas to rot. Sounds like long established practice of cherry-picking to me. Yet only voice service from xDSL could ever have been universal coverage. Yet Verizon FTTP doesn't have this regulatory issue.

No one has explained how the regulations yield these contradictions in sufficient detail. ATT shareholders swallow the CEO's unsubstantiated statements or don't know or don't care.

ATT stated by end of 2008 they would Offer uverse to 18 million, one million of them FTTP: »Ask DSLReports: U-Verse in BellSouth Territory?

How many of today's 10 million customers are on FTTP, and how many hundred-thousands of today's million+ potential FTTP customers still chose faster cable? Dirt cheapest possible upgrade (without laying any last-mile fiber) to yield couple hundred thousand new customers within a year.

ssiard

reply to ssiard

said by ssiard:

Called the 800.288.2020 number and they see the address. Land line voice is available but uverse is not. Could they have put the fiber down but not attached it to the rest of the uverse system? Could those boxes really not be fiber? They did escalate it to engineers but said it would take up to 2 weeks for an answer. The id is G98814407.

I hadn't heard from ATT about this request so I called them today. They said engineering reported back "none" for uverse availability. The ticket also said a tech was sent to this address and it tested negative. Seems like there is still wiring that needs to be completed.

I asked the person on the phone to check for DSL and that also comes back none due to fiber being planned for the area.

I believe that uverse will eventually be available at this subdivision, the question is when? Does anyone have experience with a brand new housing development? Do I have any options to help further this along?

ssiard

1 recommendation

reply to ssiard

To provide closure to this post...

After living in this new home for 3 months I finally got uverse! It is FTTP and power tier enabled.

benk016

join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK
reply to ssiard

Can you take a picture of the ONT on the side of your house? I am on FTTP and they won't let me have the power tier saying its not avaliable to the FTTP customers.

Craiger

join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

1 edit
reply to ssiard

Are all newer homes UVerse FTTP ready? If rooms come with an Ethernet jack would they be able to do Uverse TV/Internet/Phone? I guess they run a fiber line from the VRAD/DSLAM to the ONT then to the structured wiring cabinet's wifi router or Ethernet switch? Or ONT to RG and that would plug into the structured wiring cabinet's wifi router or Ethernet switch?

benk016

Owasso, OK

Its not just new homes, It has to be in a new subdivision or area that didn't have any infrastructure ran before. If you build a new home in an older area that already has copper ran, you won't get put on fiber. My house was built in a new subdivison, so fiber is ran everywhere. They run the fiber to the ONT on the side of your house and from there its a CAT5 cable from it to the modem.

ssiard

reply to ssiard

Can you get to this link? It has some pictures I took of the construction trailer for the private att forum.

Am I allowed to open the ONT? If so I will take some for pictures tonight.

I did notice that the power tier was not available on the first page of signing up online. However, it was available when I went to the second page after selecting "get started" on the max turbo.

ssiard

reply to Craiger

said by Craiger:

If rooms come with an Ethernet jack would they be able to do Uverse TV/Internet/Phone?

Internet and phone. I think the TV would still go through coax but I haven't had paid TV since I was a kid. I use an antenna and mlb.tv.

said by Craiger:

I guess they run a fiber line from the VRAD/DSLAM to the ONT then to the structured wiring cabinet's wifi router or Ethernet switch?

It is fiber to the ONT. Copper from ONT to the modem using standard cat5. Then standard cat5 from modem to either your room outlet or a switch, depending on how many ports you need.

benk016

Owasso, OK
reply to ssiard

Permission denied on that link. You are able to open the ONT. inside there is a 2nd door that is for ATT only. But the main door is customer accessible.

ssiard

Click for full size
said by benk016:

Permission denied on that link. You are able to open the ONT. inside there is a 2nd door that is for ATT only. But the main door is customer accessible.

Well here is the box without the door open. Probably not useful though.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Two of them, now that's interesting. I've never seen that before.

ssiard

reply to benk016

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by benk016:

Can you take a picture of the ONT on the side of your house? I am on FTTP and they won't let me have the power tier saying its not avaliable to the FTTP customers.

Here are some pictures of the ONT.

nitin00

join:2010-01-17
Stockton, CA
reply to ssiard

Interesting, if that is indeed fttp, I am surprised you get 45/6. I am here stuck at 18, but I always get 22 and have never seen it below that. Download files at about 2.4-2.6MB, It is fast enough for me, but I could always use faster.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

The OP is on GPON, hence the faster available speeds

If you are on the older BPON, you will max out @ 18/1.5 offered, unless you upgrade to GPON.

Apparently, the upgrade path from BPON to GPON involves verifying that GPON is now available out of your SAI/Crossbox, and then you have to cancel/cease your BPON service and order new GPON service