spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sraz

join:2013-10-28

Possible to get faster service than 20m/896k?

Click for full size
I just signed up for DSL through CenturyLink and the website allowed me to order 20mbps service, but I wanted to ask if it was worth asking to see if I could be bumped to something faster.

Now that I'm up and running, here are my line stats from telnet...

> xdslctl info --show
xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 13360 Kbps, Downstream rate = 68724 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 893 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20123 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex A
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 8a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 29.3 31.0
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 17.0 2.9

The DSLAM near my house seems to have FTTN, so I would think 40mbps service would be possible since I should have a loop length around 1500ft

What you guys think, worth bugging them over?

TAZ

@qwest.net
I wish I had those stats!

You shouldn't have any trouble with 40/5 or most likely even 40/20. (40/20 uses the 12a profile which has a higher max upstream rate. You're on 8a currently which would explain the max attainable upstream currently only being 13M.)

Someone will have to change the qualification records; that's easier said than done. As a start, email talktous@centurylink.com. Put it to them like this or you're definitely going to get the runaround (hell, you probably will anyway): "I currently have, and only qualify for, a 20/.896 VDSL2 line. I've determined based on the line stats that the line is capable of 40/5 or 40/20. All I need is for the qualification records to be adjusted to reflect this - everything else is in place to support that service."

Try talktous first, but at the first sign of BS runaround and no resolution, just say fuck it and EECB them. (Find as many CL corporate emails as you can and cc an email to all of them.) This has happened before and people have gotten it fixed, but only after getting the runaround and finally finding the right person. Maybe they've fixed their processes in the past year or two, one can hope...

Once you get it fixed, you'll also qualify for 80/40 and 100/12 bonded if you call in and order it. (Don't ask me what the point of 100/12 over 80/40 is.)