PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Nvidia cuts GTX 770, 780 prices

Good news for consumers as Nvidia and AMD go at it in a battle for better value.
said by TechReport :

Nvidia cuts GTX 770, 780 prices, primes GTX 780 Ti for 11/7

Today's a big day for Nvidia. Earlier this morning, the company announced a new Shield update as well as the addition of ShadowPlay to its GeForce Experience software. Now, Nvidia has followed up with some price cuts across its high-end GeForce GTX 700-series graphics cards. It's also set a release date and a pricing for its upcoming GeForce GTX 780 Ti.

According to Nvidia, suggested e-tail prices for the GeForce GTX 780 and GeForce GTX 770 have dropped to $499 and $329, respectively, down from the current $649 and $399. The company expects these cuts to go "live in e-tail by 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday, October 29th." Since no time zone is mentioned, I assume Nvidia means 6:00 AM, Pacific Time.

Those cuts will position Nvidia's high-end cards much more competitively against AMD's new Radeons.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Hell yeah. That's exactly what I was waiting for. Big thank you to AMD.

That's pretty damn aggressive price cut. $150 cheaper on a 780. I'm definitely going to pick up a second 780 ACX next month if this is the case. Can't wait to go SLI.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Man I feel bad for all those Titan owners out there...

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Titan needs a $200 price drop. There's no question about it.

This new pricing is pretty damn interesting and changes things up a lot. People that were considering going with a 290x really have to make a decision now. $499 for a 780 is nearly $100 cheaper than the AMD offering.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Anyone who buys last gen from Nvidia has no right to whine about price ever.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

People that were considering going with a 290x really have to make a decision now. $499 for a 780 is nearly $100 cheaper than the AMD offering.

With the newest cut, I'd have to give a nod to the 780, especially since the 290X comes with no games (there is a BF4 package) and the 780 is shipping with "Batman: Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag%u2014and a $100-off coupon for a Shield handheld."

The laughable Shield coupon aside, that's a decent games bundle, compared to the 290x's BF4 as the only freebie (and *if* you buy that OEM package).

Right now, I'd advise people to avoid the 290X until we start seeing some aftermarket coolers...

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

Anyone who buys last gen from Nvidia has no right to whine about price ever.

I think that can be said for any card that holds the performance crown at any given time.

IIRC when the 7970 was top dog, it was quite unreasonably priced as well, so this behaviour isn't strictly an Nvidia thing, it's more of a "how much are you willing to pay for the best card on the market?" type of thing.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Eh, even when I bought my two 7970 GHz Eds (both Sapphire Vapor-X editions, no budget model by any stretch), I got them both for ~$450 ($470 in Sep 2012, and $435 in Feb 2013). That's a far cry from what Nvidia was charging when the 780 came out.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Hopefully the R9 290 that comes out this week will be priced at $399.... I was going to pick up a 290X since it came with Bf4, but everyone's been out of stock. I went ahead and picked up Bf4 this morning since it releases tonight and I don't feel like waiting on the card in order to play. Now I'm eyeballing the 290 and I'm going to let the price war play out a little.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Damn, very tempted to replace my SLI'd 560Ti's with a 780. $499 minus what I can get if I sell my current cards to someone should bring my total to $300 or so. Very tempting.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Next month, when the custom cooler cards come out, will see an even better price structure, and better availability.

The best will come to the patient one, kimosabe.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I must be too practical, or getting old. I'd SLI (crossfire) two 7850's before spending $660 and I don't even like ATI...

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

2 recommendations

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It depends on your budget and your needs (games and resolution). Don't knock it if you specifically don't need it.

And for god's sakes, ATI has been defunct since 2006, it's AMD now, like it or not. As I've said before, it's referred to as ATI today generally by people who haven't hardware in some time and have no idea what's happened in terms of current landscape, or as a derogatory term by a fanboy trying to prove a point.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

Snuffbox

Premium Member

They'll always be ATI in my mind. Used them in some of my earliest builds. They eventually fell off the map and have thankfully recovered. Not at all using it negatively, I hope they continue to be competitive.

I would argue that it depends on the benchmark scores you want to achieve more than your "needs". I'm not being condescending to anyone that decides to SLI two 780's but it's overkill for any game out there at the moment.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by Snuffbox:

They'll always be ATI in my mind.

Same here. It's not like the team that work on the Radeon brand has moved offices or anything; so the core of then-ATI is still there. It's still much the same mindset regarding hardware and drivers there, for better or worse.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

I would argue that it depends on the benchmark scores you want to achieve more than your "needs". I'm not being condescending to anyone that decides to SLI two 780's but it's overkill for any game out there at the moment.

Negative, ghost-rider. I take it you don't game at anything beyond 1080p?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

2560x1440p is a whole new kind of demanding on your GPU. Playing Arkham Origins over the whole weekend fully maxed out, DX11, and PhysX on high, and even I get some frame stuttering here and there with an overclocked GTX 780.

Granted, that is with PhysX maxed out, which is brutal on video cards.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
The Asus branded 7970 (non GHz) launched at $580, and the Sapphire Launched at $550,

»www.anandtech.com/show/5 ··· ch-recap

The GTX 680 Launched at $500

»www.anandtech.com/show/5 ··· 0-review

And the GTX 780 Launched at $650 (Which I agree is totally excessive)

»www.anandtech.com/show/7 ··· nch-date

But this still proves my point that whoever is holding the performance crown can call the highest prices until the other team catches up.

EQ

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Good point. I tend to buy well into the product's lifetime, so these ridiculous launch prices die and the companies go back and forth several times with the price cuts.

The GTX 700 series is just now settling at realistic prices, in my mind, but waiting another 3-6 months for deeper sales would be more likely if I were in the market to upgrade.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

2560x1440p is a whole new kind of demanding on your GPU. Playing Arkham Origins over the whole weekend fully maxed out, DX11, and PhysX on high, and even I get some frame stuttering here and there with an overclocked GTX 780.

True on that.

I know when I spec out a "fantasy" build, one thing that I had considered was that along with a 780 (or two) to get like a 4GB 640 to handle PhysX, since I would imagine that at such high resolutions.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

said by Ghastlyone:

True on that.

I know when I spec out a "fantasy" build, one thing that I had considered was that along with a 780 (or two) to get like a 4GB 640 to handle PhysX, since I would imagine that at such high resolutions.

You'd be surprised. I can almost guarantee a 640 would bottleneck and slow down a GTX 780. I bet you would get better results with the 780 by itself. There's a Linus Tech Tips video that shows some very interesting results with different combinations of GPUs for dedicated PhysX.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Time to get a second 770?

yummm

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It would be a good time, especially with the price cut. That'd be an ungodly rig.

That said, the major game I am looking forward to is Star Citizen, so I am likely to hang onto my 7970s until the full game drops, then upgrade to whatever is the latest and greatest.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

You'd be surprised. I can almost guarantee a 640 would bottleneck and slow down a GTX 780. I bet you would get better results with the 780 by itself. There's a Linus Tech Tips video that shows some very interesting results with different combinations of GPUs for dedicated PhysX.

If you do find a link to it, I'd be very curious.

For the moment, I'd been running my G80 8800GTS 640 as a dedicated PhysX, secondary to my GTX 285... I wonder if that might be holding me up any.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Wow, that's a huge drop for the 780. At that price, I'd probably get it over a 290X.
said by C0deZer0:

For the moment, I'd been running my G80 8800GTS 640 as a dedicated PhysX, secondary to my GTX 285... I wonder if that might be holding me up any.

You should be able to select what card handles PhysX in the Nvidia control panel. Switch between the two and see how it runs.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
I almost want to cash in my 2 670s and get one (or two) 4GB 770s... not exactly a wise purchase, but it's fun to think about.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I was actually thinking of just getting a second 7770 for my PC... but with these kind of drops... I think I might just wait till Christmas and pick up one of the newer cards instead.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Is there really $200 of true value between the 770 and 780?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The 770 trades blows with the 7970 GHz / R9 280X, so yes, there is quite the difference.
said by Raible:

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible
said by Raible:

Higher resoution benchmarks of 1440/1600p and multiple monitor setups, the GTX 780 completely trounces the 770.