Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: Nvidia cuts GTX 770, 780 prices

said by Krisnatharok:

Veeeery nice dude. Do you have Crysis 3? I am wondering what you get at 1440p @ max settings.

I wanna see how close my 7970s get to twin 780s...

»As requested, Crysis 3 benchmarks

Edit: If anyone is wondering, by comparison two 7970 GHz CF score 10,762 in Firestrike at stock speeds (1050mhz), and 12,211 OC'd (1190 mhz).

What can your 780s do as far as a stable OC?

I ran Firestrike with a slight overclock, both cards boosting to 1,175mhz. And my i5 at 4.2ghz.

I did run Crysis 3 last night with Fraps and did multiple 90sec runs on the very first level right after the opening cut scene. Average FPS was 59.95, Max FPS was 63. I got the exact same numbers every time. I had no Vsync on either. This was every setting on Very High, and SSAA x2.

BF4 is running absolutely awesome. Not a single hiccup last night.

The top card is running ~5c hotter, which is to be expected. I adjusted the fan profile for that card slightly higher. But it's pretty amazing, how quiet 2 of these cards in SLI are under full load.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Another thing that I didn't realize, and I'm glad that I read my motherboard manual before hand, is that on these Gigabyte boards they have an ATX4P plug. It takes a SATA power cable and this port actually supplies extra power to the PCI-Express Slots when running SLI. I just thought that was pretty interesting. I don't think all MBs have that.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Mine has a molex connector for the same reason, but I killed two mobos by plugging the NZXT PSU into that port, so I am sort of scared to do the same thing again, even with the AX860i.

But if I can solidly bench two OC'd 7970s (granted, at 1190mhz vs. the max 1225mhz I got earlier) and have a sound card also running at the same time, I don't think I need to plug it in.

TBH, I'm just scared to plug that port in.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

I ran Firestrike with a slight overclock, both cards boosting to 1,175mhz. And my i5 at 4.2ghz.

From 993mhz? Or is that the constant/base speed? What is the stock boost speed?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Ghastlyone:

From 993mhz? Or is that the constant/base speed? What is the stock boost speed?

Straight out of the box with no overclock, my first card boosted to 1,100mhz. This new card boosts to 1,124mhz. I applied .038v, +60 on the core, and +150 memory, and then they boosted constantly under load to 1,175mhz.

I think I might have a little more OC room left.
said by Krisnatharok:

Mine has a molex connector for the same reason, but I killed two mobos by plugging the NZXT PSU into that port, so I am sort of scared to do the same thing again, even with the AX860i.

But if I can solidly bench two OC'd 7970s (granted, at 1190mhz vs. the max 1225mhz I got earlier) and have a sound card also running at the same time, I don't think I need to plug it in.

TBH, I'm just scared to plug that port in.

Damn... you're making me nervous now. Maybe it was just that NZXT power supply you had though. *crosses fingers*

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

Damn... you're making me nervous now. Maybe it was just that NZXT power supply you had though. *crosses fingers*

Haha, I wouldn't worry about it. I honestly think it was my specific combination of mobo (Asus Maximus V Formula) and PSU that led to my failures.

NZXT wanted me to ship my rig to them for "research" but I told them they should just buy the components themselves and do their own research without taking a customer's rig away.

I really wanted to give them a fair shot at gaining a customer, but I had a really shitty experience with their PSUs. But at least they are developing an 18th variant to their Phantom case, amirite?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Another thing that I didn't realize, and I'm glad that I read my motherboard manual before hand, is that on these Gigabyte boards they have an ATX4P plug. It takes a SATA power cable and this port actually supplies extra power to the PCI-Express Slots when running SLI. I just thought that was pretty interesting. I don't think all MBs have that.

I have that on my board as well. It's optional for high-end cards that have their own power leads, though. In the manual, it's stated that that is usually there for those who SLi/XF cards that didn't have additional leads needing to be connected. Usually low-end cards end up having that.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
How do you know that for sure, vs the standard 24-pin connector or the 8-pin EPS connector. If a power supply is going to kill a motherboard, there's a ton of wires to do it with .

My old DFI nForce 4 board used both 4-pin Molex and floppy connectors for additional power. The SLI-DR Expert I have now (higher-end version) just has the floppy connector.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Id love to do 780s in SLI, I just do not know if my 850w PSU is big enough... And also important if I should upgrade my MB to one that actually does x16 across both slots.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

850w is more than enough to drive two of nearly any GPU.*

The only one I would be concerned about is two 290s, since the TDP seems to be around 300w. My Vapor-X 7970's pull up to 320w each, and I use a platinum-rated Corsair AX860i with no problem.
evo7
join:2009-01-03
Audubon, NJ

1 recommendation

evo7

I took advantage of this price drop and got a second GTX 770.

I now have 2 EVGA GTX 770 ACX Superclocked in SLI.
LVNeptune
join:2008-03-02
Henderson, NV

LVNeptune to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Just an FYI I purchased an Alienware X51 as well a few weeks back when they first announced the game console trade-in program. I bought up 5 Wii's from a pawn shop for about $200 and sent them all in. The total cost on the X51 BEFORE discounts was $1006~ (part of the trick is to order the one WITHOUT Windows). Just received my $1,000 credit ($200/ea Wii). Roughly cost me about $206 total.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

holy shit man, wow.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
And now I know why they have this price drop.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14487002

780ti hell it has another 200 CUDA cores over the TITAN.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well, they had the price drop to respond to AMD, and then released the 780 Ti (a fully enabled GK110 card, aka Super Titan) to retake the single GPU crown, in response to the 290X.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
The 780Ti looks fantastic. Just wish that it had the 6GB of VRAM like the TITAN, or at least 4, for the staying power.

Then again, I'm still surprised how well my GTX 285 is holding up.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Makes me wonder where does the Titan even sit today? It's only remaining advantage is more VRAM. Which means it really is a consumer Quatro or a baby Tesla.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It really is a poor man's quatro. No reason to buy it now with the 780 and 780 Ti.

Hell, even the regular 280 goes after it, and that's a $400 card.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

yep, the Ti burns the Titan in gaming. But the Titan is still faster than anything on the market in compute.(This is also why Nvidia keeps the GTX line at 3gb with double precision disabled. They know full well that the GTX cards would rock their flagship in non gaming application at the consumer price level.)

AMD/ATI does this too as does the whole tech industry though.

Nobody stepped up to the plate against WD's Raptor drives for example because all the other HDD mfgs had a SCSI business to shield.

Still the Ti and the 290X are a great thing for consumers by pushing down prices on the previous high end cards. Computer hardware seems to be a great place for being pro consumer because competition continues to benefit the buyer.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

From a post of mine in another thread:

About the only things it's missing are ECC support, ISV-certified drivers, and stereo/genlock.