spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

atrzc

@rogers.com

what should I do about this?

I recently called teksavvy because my internet service was down when it was supposed to be up. I was on the phone with them for over two hours. 80% of that time was spent sitting on hold because they are seriously understaffed.

Because my home phone is VOIP (which of course is standard these days) and I did not have an internet connection, I was forced to use my cellphone. That 2-plus hour wait on hold ended up costing me dearly in cellphone charges.

Wouldn't it be the ethical thing to do on teksavvy's part to reimburse me that amount? Now I'm sure some of you might say that teksavvy doesn't owe me anything, but the way I see it is that I paid teksavvy for a service they were supposed to provide (internet, and by default, a phone line). They failed to provide what they were contracted to provide and in failing, they have directly cost me quite a lot of money. Furthermore, if teksavvy had provided the service they promised to provide I would not have incurred these extra expenses.

What do you guys think? should Teksavvy be held accountable? they know that their customers cannot contact them via landline (not even sure non-VOIP lines exist anymore), so basically everyone who phones teksavvy with a service interruption is indeed calling from a cellphone...

The whole scenario is a bit like phoning in to get tech support because your internet is down only to be told to go online to get tech support...

when I sit down and do the math, it would take nearly two years for the savings that teksavvy offers over 'the incumbent' to cover the cost of my cellphone bill for one outage.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Unfortunately, all residential services provided by ANY company have no service level agreements. These services are classified as "best effort". Nobody will refund you money for lost time you've taken off work because a tech did not show, nobody will repay you for pay as you go cell minutes you used to talk to tech support.

It's not an answer you want to hear, but if residential providers were to offer these kinds of credits, you'd be paying 5-10x what you are paying now or more.

The only credits you are elgible for is a credit to your monthly bill for the days that the service wasnt working.

You'd be in the same spot if you were with an incumbent.
--

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON
reply to atrzc

Hi atrzc.

Would you be able to pm me the details of when you experienced all of this hold time? I know that we have had our fair share of hold
Times in the past couple of months but the team has been hard at work making sure these are handled as quickly as possible these days and I have not seen 1 hour wait times in a while now. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would like to investigate this further.

Thanks
--
TSI Pierre - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Chief Operating Officer

atrzc

@rogers.com

I can't figure out how to PM you, but the call took place on september 20th at 8:47 am. Duration was 146 minutes and 51 seconds. nearly 2.5 hours.
Not all of this was time on hold, but the vast majority of it was.

Hivolt. You're right, that isn't the answer I wanted to hear, but it is the one I expected. If the law required reimbursements for this sort of thing (like they do for many instances like this in the EU) service standards would be much higher.

I'm not asking for compensation for my time to deal with the situation, im strictly speaking of the cell phone bill as a result of their service not working.
Anyway, for the record, if you have a cellphone with rogers and you have to call tech support, it is a free call. Same with Bell. I understand it's different, but it does set some precedence that they recognize the inconvenience and take responsibility for their part in it..

Madwand

join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to atrzc

Sorry, not trying to be a troll here, however I do not think that Teksavvy, or any other provider should cover these costs. There are several alternatives to use to call them if your service is down. Calling after 6pm or on weekends, or from a payphone or a neighbours line.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by Madwand:

Sorry, not trying to be a troll here, however I do not think that Teksavvy, or any other provider should cover these costs. There are several alternatives to use to call them if your service is down. Calling after 6pm or on weekends, or from a payphone or a neighbours line.

Okay Madwand - I agree noone should reimburse these types of expenses would be a can o worms, However your alternatives would be pointless and useless.

Payphone - Okay sir please Do these 6 steps call back and wait on hold another 2 hours..
Neighbhors Line - Same situation,

After 6pm or on weekends? Your internet is down u do not have a Sla the only way to get it fixed is to call and u expect folks to wait ? Realistically though I would think 1800 Numbers usally are free on Most cell plans. so i am not sure how the OP incurred these costs. Perhaps a better Option would have been if experencing those times to avail himself of the Callback when your turn in line at #1 option the ts system has? if it still has this option.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2
reply to atrzc

That's just one of the caveats of having VoIP. If your internet is down, you need to rely on other forms of communication. Consumers need to weigh the cost and the importance of using and having access to alternate forms of communication during an extended outage scenario, and decide if VoIP is truly the right solution for them.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to morisato

The OP most likely has a prepaid phone. 1-800 numbers still count as local minutes, and maybe his prepaid plan doesn't have evening minutes included.

Anyway, we've seen these types of posts before... Frankly it's a person's choice to use a prepaid phone. A company can only provide you with a toll free number. The rest is up to you.
--

Madwand

join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to morisato

said by morisato:

Okay Madwand - I agree noone should reimburse these types of expenses would be a can o worms, However your alternatives would be pointless and useless.

To each their own. I have called from a neighbours, from work, etc.

I also sent an email to "Fast Customer" the iPhone app that calls and waits for you on the line for major companies, and I have asked them to add the toll free numbers for Teksavvy. (well the ones listed for Ontario). Perhaps in the next few months these phone numbers will be added. It's a good service, but it is mostly USA oriented.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to atrzc

said by atrzc :

I'm not asking for compensation for my time to deal with the situation, im strictly speaking of the cell phone bill as a result of their service not working.
Anyway, for the record, if you have a cellphone with rogers and you have to call tech support, it is a free call. Same with Bell. I understand it's different, but it does set some precedence that they recognize the inconvenience and take responsibility for their part in it..

Yeah, incumbents can provide these services to their own support lines for free, because they own the networks, and they know that it costs them nothing at all.

But they will not refund you anything if you call from a competitor's phone services, you'll be billed just the same if you don't have a plan with included evenings/weekends, etc...

I know it's not fair when you're trying to troubleshoot a downed internet line and you're required to be at the computer to complete the troubleshooting, but there's little choice here... Either pay for the airtime, or get a plan that has enough included minutes or evenings/weekends to do so...
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to atrzc

said by atrzc :

Because my home phone is VOIP (which of course is standard these days)

Sorry - I have to take exception to that assertion. VOIP (over the public Internet) is not standard these days by a long shot.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
·igs.net
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to atrzc

If you read the service agreement you've accepted when you signed up for VoIP, the service provider is not responsible for your losses. Should have your house burned down and you were unable to call the fire department, it's your responsibility, not the VoIP service provider's. The same goes for not being able to make out calls when your internet goes down.

That being said, surely you could have just posted a message in the direct forum and asked that someone call you back on your cell phone. You didn't have to spend that much time on hold...

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON

Oh and if you have a dataplan on your cell phone, or WiFi access nearby (a neighbour or a Starbuck's for instance), you could have used Skype (or any other free VoIP service like freephoneline) to dial the toll-free number.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms
reply to atrzc

At the end of the day... If you have VOIP, you should expect to have to use a cell phone when and if your internet goes down.

You also could have had the call back feature call you back when an operator was available at Teksavvy. Unless this has been disabled, it does work very well.

kanatamike

join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON
kudos:1
reply to atrzc

said by atrzc :

If the law required reimbursements for this sort of thing (like they do for many instances like this in the EU) service standards would be much higher.

And you would be paying much more for your internet service in that case.