spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

SteamOS will cause serious issues with Windows desktop dominance.

I'm calling it now. Microsoft has done themselves no favors with the Windows 8.0/1 fiascos, people are itching to get off their desktops. If SteamOS gains some traction it's going to force developers to make better drivers for Linux.

The snowball effect will allow coders and developers to be able to use Linux easier (assuming they aren't already), as well as gamers. Microsoft, which has already been hurting from missing so many developing sectors of growth, is going to wish they never pissed everyone off with Windows 8.

You may not think so, but the same was said years ago about Valve's Steam itself.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
It's going to take a lot of work, not just by steam either. Don't forget most games use directx which is a microsoft only product. You cant run dx11 games in linux unless you do some sort of streaming like steamos plans to do, but you still need a windows box somewhere to stream from. The other alternative is opengl, but that would require game dev's to start using opengl and personally I think opengl is far behind dx11. Rage was probably the best implementation of opengl that I have seen, but even then it is severely lacking when compared to DX.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Metatron2008
What does it offer to people who aren't coders, developers or gamers?

said by Metatron2008:

Microsoft, which has already been hurting from missing so many developing sectors of growth, is going to wish they never pissed everyone off with Windows 8.

everyone? Even the masses who are still running XP?
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to Metatron2008
There's these things have been out for years, they're called consoles, and they are the big market for gamers. PC games are a small portion of this gaming market.

You assume by introducing a linux console that emulates some windows games it's going to ruin windows? Don't keep your hopes up. It will hardly have the business communities quaking in their booties.

Oh, is this like how surface was supposed to be an ipad killer?
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Metatron2008
But if you're not a hardcore gamer, SteamOS isn't going to even be a blip on your radar. And Steam itself has always been high-priced unless you managed to find a game you wanted on sale - at least, I've always found that to be true (just checked my account over there and I only purchased 3 games from them - mainly because I found them cheaper elsewhere).

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
It's a geek toy.

If a windows game comes out with a patch it could very well cause the game not to run until they patch the files for Wine, if they can fix it at all within an acceptable amount of time to play the game they purchased. I don't see it as a dependable model of support. A game for the pc, xbox 360/one, or ps3/4 will have an update directly meant for it that was tested to work for that platform.

Steam is better than the annoying independent drm alternatives by other companies which can act just like malicious rootkits, but it's not perfect either. The drm on pc games was getting out of control, and draconian with their limitation, it is/was killing pc gaming unless it was a subscription mmo in most cases.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to DownTheShore
And if you are a hardcore gamer you won't care because there are no decent games for the Linux (or Mac) side of Steam and no developer will waste time porting to it. They have also solved any Window 8 "problem" by simply sticking with WindowS 7. Hell, console devs barely care about Wii U which actually has an installed base. Ultimately, no one will care about SteamOS. Threat to Windows dominance? Mac OS isn't a threat to Windows dominance and certainly no 4th rate console attempt will do it. What are businesses going to do with SteamOS? Meanwhile I find Window 8 a bit annoying, but hardly to the point that I would be willing to deal with the headache that is Linux. Talk about annoying and frustrating users? Plop Joe user in front of a Linux box and they will crawling back to Microsoft begging for their Window 8 back.
--
Nocchi rules.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 edit
reply to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

There's these things have been out for years, they're called consoles, and they are the big market for gamers. PC games are a small portion of this gaming market.

You assume by introducing a linux console that emulates some windows games it's going to ruin windows? Don't keep your hopes up. It will hardly have the business communities quaking in their booties.

Oh, is this like how surface was supposed to be an ipad killer?

I didn't know 50 million Steam users (And they count 'users' as people who recently signed in the past 3 months) was a 'small portion of the market'.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

2 edits
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

And if you are a hardcore gamer you won't care because there are no decent games for the Linux (or Mac) side of Steam and no developer will waste time porting to it. They have also solved any Window 8 "problem" by simply sticking with WindowS 7. Hell, console devs barely care about Wii U which actually has an installed base. Ultimately, no one will care about SteamOS. Threat to Windows dominance? Mac OS isn't a threat to Windows dominance and certainly no 4th rate console attempt will do it. What are businesses going to do with SteamOS? Meanwhile I find Window 8 a bit annoying, but hardly to the point that I would be willing to deal with the headache that is Linux. Talk about annoying and frustrating users? Plop Joe user in front of a Linux box and they will crawling back to Microsoft begging for their Window 8 back.

SteamOS allows you to stream all the games you own on Steam. Try and keep up okay?

And if SteamOS (And Linux/Mac OS) keep increasing market share it will convince devs to add better support for opengl, which will make it easier to port to linux/osx.

And Joe User is already on Linux. Android has over 50% of the marketplace, because cell phones do everything people need too.

You can make all the excuses you want about how it's smartphones vs desktops, and people would buy desktops if they need it, but this is what people are buying.

People could easily use Linux if it had good drivers. If Steam OS takes off, devs will be compelled to make good drivers.

Oh, and that picture that shows MS worldwide marketshare at around 20%? Well it's now 15% and falling:

»blogs.computerworld.com/windows/···-falling

System
reply to Metatron2008
This topic has been closed. Reason: Unsuitable for forum