Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 edit

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Logitech Touch Mouse T620: Impressions

So I needed a mouse pretty badly and needed one for the laptop too, so I figured I'd get something I could use for both desktop and laptop, and just bring it to what I need when I need it.

Using one of the hot deal websites:

»www.edealinfo.com/deals/ ··· ord=t620

I saw a really low price on a mouse that was said to normally go for a lot more. I read reviews and some said "meh" and some liked it, but the specifics in the meh reviews were things that didn't bother me too much, so I said, what the heck, and ordered from Staples. Holy crap is Staples fast delivery!

So I got one of these for my nephew that is getting a laptop for Christmas, and thought, I hardly ever can do things for him and I could this time, so I ordered two of them (they don't have enough mice over at their house).

So my impressions:

1) Scrolling without a scroll wheel is great, that was why I needed a new mouse, because the scroll wheel on my old MS Wireless LASER mouse 5000 got all jammed up. Now with the T620 I just flick my index finger up or down over up to 2/3ds of the surface and scrolling is a breeze.

2) Forward/Back in Browsers is a very delicate move, you can set it to work with two fingers or just one, by sweeping from right to left or left to right for back/forward (instead of side of mouse buttons). The mouse is so light it tends to want to slide under you when you do this, so it takes a very delicate touch, but it does work, I have it set for 2 finger swipe for backward/forward gestures. I'd give it a good over the MS mouse's side buttons, which are on either side of the mouse and cumbersome, this mouse's way is better.

3) Caveat about left button - right button: Left or right clicking gives a real click, but there is only one single click mechanism, the touch aspect senses which of the fingers is clicking, either right or left (you have to lift the other fingers off). If you play games or use both buttons simultaneously, this is a problem as this mouse cannot distinguish such use, so caveat emptor.

4) Bring up start menu - 2/3ds down mouse gesture: Doesn't work right, and a number of people have pointed this out. I think its a driver bug.

5) Windows 8 touchpad type gestures: Haven't tested them yet, will get back to you on them. Only used it on Windows 7 so far, which isn't utilizing the mouse to its full potential.

6) Heft, Feel, ergonomics: It's too small, IMHO, for a man's hand but its meant to work for either desktop or laptop, so I understand why they chose the medium footprint. You just can't be resting your palm on it (hey, it's a touch device after all). It's light, and could be heavier and, as I said, larger, but it's not really a big problem because it's size is well suited for laptop use.

7) Unified Transceiver: Haven't tested the unified aspect, but that's a great feature, I'll have to get a unified keyboard at some point (up to 6 devices will work off the one transceiver). Note that under the battery door there is a place to store the transceiver when not in use, I like that.

8) Battery use, and on/off capability: It accepts 2 AA batteries, but can run off of only one at a time, for half the service time. Supposed to service for up to 6 months on 2 batteries. It's great that it will run with only 1 battery because sometimes that's all you have! It has a convenient on/off switch, making it well suited for laptop use.

9) Appearance (do we really care?): It looks techy, nice. I got the black one.

10) Other comments to come after more testing, including on Win8.

Recommend with Caveats as stated. Remember, it takes a very light touch for gestures.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I press the scroll wheel down quite often as middle click, I've even owned old logitech ergonomic mice which had no scroll wheel, and just had a middle button for gaming. Would you say this is difficult to do consistently?

For example in my browser I middle click a link, or bookmark to launch it in a new tab instead of taking over the current tab.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

It seems to work fine for me, I don't have anything assigned to middle click on my Win 7 desktop, but when I middle click (done by option of using two fingers click down over very center of mouse surface) the scroll lock cursor appears instantaneously in firefox, so it seems to work just fine.

I'd read people's comments on newegg and amazon and see what others say. Many say "meh". But I finally tested it on Windows 8 laptop and it works fine. The one exception is double clicking with two fingers on the very center of the mouse, so far it doesn't appear to work, which seems to be what others are saying. Single click there seems fine.

The main difficulty using it, beside the obvious, is that when you swipe from off of the outside of the mouse from the left or right like you'd do on a laptop touchpad, the mouse wants to slide under you as you do it, but if you use a very light touch, it works ok, or, if you are more coordinated than I am, use your thumb and ring finger to hold it in place. IOW, it just takes getting used to to some extent.

If you can go to Staples and test drive one (if they have one to do so) it might be worth it. As I say, I'm pleased, I had some trepidations that it was going to be a major meh, but considering I'm not a touch screen gestures fanatic, and in fact, don't care for Windows 8 Metro, considering that, I'm pretty pleased with it. I particularly like the way the scroll wheel is replaced with the sliding of the middle top to middle center of the surface, it works nicely and is a welcome improvement over scroll wheels for ME.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Thanks, since you can scroll with it too you might change that to middle click, and at least try it out. At least from my years of pc gaming where using middle click is second nature it's actually an annoyance for me when middle click doesn't work on a mouse.

Scroll wheels also have been the weakest part on the mice lately, breaking, or not responding. The middle click on my last mouse which was replace by warranty was horribly inconsistent so I just stopped using it at least for anything that required a fast response time.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Touch mice are simply the most flexible mouse design provided that the manufacturer releases drivers that can make use of the touch sensor. However most manufacturers, including MS don't include customizable options such as tap or customizable zone support rendering most touch mice basically just a regular mouse with a virtual scroll wheel.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

What I would change/do with such a mouse:

Make a desktop size mouse.

Make the front half of the touch surface completely flat (or concave rather than convex) for gestures. Create zones so that more gestures are possible.

Make it so the wrist can rest.

Make drivers (and hardware parameters) open source so devs can advance the technology so that more people will adopt it and keep it.

But I don't know jack, so...

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Intriguing. I didn't know there was such a thing other than the Apple "Magic Mouse".

I use a Logitech MK520 with a Unifying receiver - both the mouse and the keyboard paired with it work perfectly, so I presume this mouse would as well. I see it works (mostly) fine in Linux too:

»askubuntu.com/questions/ ··· 20-mouse
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

decx to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Another comparable mouse is the Microsoft Touch Mouse which in my experience is a pretty decent mouse it's just that MS' drivers are a bit lacking but there are third party software (though a bit raw) that could add tapping support.

Apple's Magic Mouse is a personal favourite. It's drivers is still a bit lacking but third party software like BetterTouchTool (OS X only) can let the mouse perform... well, magic. Plus it's Bluetooth rather which I prefer over proprietary wireless (no need for a dongle).

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

1 edit

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Update: The center of the mouse double click DOES work, at least in Win 8: It's ONLY a gentle NON CLICKING double tap, it's a shame they don't make that clear.

If only this thing was about twice as heavy it would slide from under fingers as easily, and that would be hunky dory...

It's much nicer than using my touchpad on my laptop.

If you've got 20 bucks and will do an in store pickup, you've got a major bargain. The deal is still available, I just checked, it's Wednesday at 3:15 PM Eastern time.

I wish I could buy one more, myself, for my Alain's system.

Now I wonder what a second transciever would cost...

Never mind, found the answer, about 10 bucks or so on eBay, decent!
Expand your moderator at work

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94

Re: Logitech Touch Mouse T620: Impressions

I have two Logitech M600 mice. They are basically identical to the T620 but preceded it. I was under the impression that there is no major difference between the two models and that they use the same drivers as well as have the same feature set.

I payed something like $10 for each on sale off of Newegg. I also bought a Logitech wireless touchpad for something like ~$15 or so from Newegg.

The unifying receiver is OK, although I would like built in bluetooth as an option as well.

Your observations about the T620 echo my impressions of the M600. I've tried it in Windows 7, Windows 8 (not 8.1 yet) and OS X.

In OS X, I would two finger swipe across the mouse out of habit and it would open a new tab in Safari,......or was that Chrome,....? I forget which but it would be a stealth open tab so if you weren't cognizant of what was going on you could open a ton of tabs,....

Anyway, its a nice mouse (M600 / T620) but it is small and has a few oddities IMO. It takes some getting used to. I personally prefer my old Logitech G7 mouse. My only gripe with the G7 is the proprietary batteries and the poor battery life but I have stuck with it this long despite those shortcomings,....

BTW, I found that scrolling with the M600 mouse over time would slightly irritate my finger. This was due to the friction. With a real scroll wheel your finger moves with the wheel in a one to one ratio but with touch surfaces it just rubs across it. It was a very minor annoyance though.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I saw that, that the previous model looks about the same, even identical. The main challenge for me so far is the two finger swipe for forward/backward in the browser, it might be my computer, it's just not as responsive as I'd like.

19 bucks and change though, I'd never pay 69 for it (as if I could). I am really excited however, because having something for my nephew that is perfect since he's getting a laptop from his mom and dad, that I was able to get him one, I'm psyched.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Yeah, I know what you mean. IMO, the M600 / T620 aren't worth ~$70 USD. I would never spend that much.

Sort of like my Logitech DiNovo Edge bluetooth keyboard. When it first came out it was about ~$250 USD and I was fortunate enough to have won one as part of a sweepstakes prize package (when Vista was coming out).

Its a great keyboard and I really like it. I still use it today but I wouldn't even pay half that for a keyboard,...probably not even a quarter of that,....

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

UPDATE:

So I've had this mouse for enough time now to say that I definitely like it. Doing the gesture for browser back (two fingers swept from right front edge) isn't too easy, and the browser forward from the other direction is next to impossible to do without moving the mouse, but scrolling is great in Firefox.

I still feel that spending 70 bucks on a mouse is a challenge to justify, but if you can get this for 20 bucks, it's great. Though I will say this is really a mouse for Windows 8.
signmeuptoo94

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Update:

Now, after so many weeks, I just felt like I had to express my satisfaction with this thing a little bit more. As I use it I've become more adept at the forward / backward two finger side swipes.

I still think, however, that the mouse makes more sense for Windows 8, and, in fact, makes Windows 8 make more sense as an operating system, too. I'm actually starting to get a little more used to Win 8 and it's jarring changes with metro. Metro has some drawbacks, such as not being able to make cluster tiles to pack groups of app tiles inside (I can do that on my iPhone, why can't I do it in 8?) to make perusing the apps screen faster and easier to navigate, but there are advantages to the new MS universe, also, and one of them IS gestures on this mouse. Reprogramming your habits to fully take advantage is a challenge, but I just want to say, if you can get the T 620 for cheap, it's a no brainer. No, not a gaming mouse, far from it, but for browsing and office and general use, it's slick. I hope there are more and even better gesture mice in the future!

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
For what its worth I just ordered a Logitech Mac T651 Touchpad off of Amazon for about ~$32 shipped. That's less then half the introductory price so I figured it was a halfway good deal at least.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Damn. That is a sexy looking mouse.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

My one complaint with it now is, with Win 8 running on my desktop, the start menu sometimes starts without my actually touching where I'm supposed to, the touch is too sensitive. No problem on laptop, just my old desktop now that I've put 8 on it.

The scrolling is the main thing I like, no wheel to wear out.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I find that I have to over exaggerate the left and right mouse clicks (on the M600 / quasi T620) in order to insure that they are not misinterpreted. So I tend to tilt the entire mouse left slightly for a left click for example and right for a right click.

It has its oddities,......

The a Logitech T650 Touchpad was released at the same time and has the same or similar feature set with respect to Windows 8 / 8.1 gestures. It also uses the same unified wireless connection. The Logitech Mac T651 is similar to the T650 but instead of the unified wireless connection it uses Bluetooth. Both the T650 (Microsoft Windows) and T651 (Apple OS X) are rechargeable but supposedly are not fully supported outside of their respective OSes. So in other words, while you can get basic functionality for the T651 in Windows 8 / 8.1, there will be no gesture support and the same would be true of the T650 in OS X. One would think that this would be a simple software fix but last I heard this wasn't resolved.

Gestures are nice and all but sometimes I use them and sometimes I don't.
Octavean

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Just a small update. I'm still using the Logitech M600 (quasi T620) but I have now added the Logitech T651 Touchpad (quasi T650) and have really started to like it. I also have a more general Logitech Wireless touchpad. They are all really nice pointing devices that I highly recommend and they can be found cheaply if you look in the right places.

For gaming I really like my G7 mouse though,.....