DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: SteamOS will cause serious issues with Windows desktop dominance.

But if you're not a hardcore gamer, SteamOS isn't going to even be a blip on your radar. And Steam itself has always been high-priced unless you managed to find a game you wanted on sale - at least, I've always found that to be true (just checked my account over there and I only purchased 3 games from them - mainly because I found them cheaper elsewhere).
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It's a geek toy.

If a windows game comes out with a patch it could very well cause the game not to run until they patch the files for Wine, if they can fix it at all within an acceptable amount of time to play the game they purchased. I don't see it as a dependable model of support. A game for the pc, xbox 360/one, or ps3/4 will have an update directly meant for it that was tested to work for that platform.

Steam is better than the annoying independent drm alternatives by other companies which can act just like malicious rootkits, but it's not perfect either. The drm on pc games was getting out of control, and draconian with their limitation, it is/was killing pc gaming unless it was a subscription mmo in most cases.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
And if you are a hardcore gamer you won't care because there are no decent games for the Linux (or Mac) side of Steam and no developer will waste time porting to it. They have also solved any Window 8 "problem" by simply sticking with WindowS 7. Hell, console devs barely care about Wii U which actually has an installed base. Ultimately, no one will care about SteamOS. Threat to Windows dominance? Mac OS isn't a threat to Windows dominance and certainly no 4th rate console attempt will do it. What are businesses going to do with SteamOS? Meanwhile I find Window 8 a bit annoying, but hardly to the point that I would be willing to deal with the headache that is Linux. Talk about annoying and frustrating users? Plop Joe user in front of a Linux box and they will crawling back to Microsoft begging for their Window 8 back.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

2 edits

Metatron2008

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

And if you are a hardcore gamer you won't care because there are no decent games for the Linux (or Mac) side of Steam and no developer will waste time porting to it. They have also solved any Window 8 "problem" by simply sticking with WindowS 7. Hell, console devs barely care about Wii U which actually has an installed base. Ultimately, no one will care about SteamOS. Threat to Windows dominance? Mac OS isn't a threat to Windows dominance and certainly no 4th rate console attempt will do it. What are businesses going to do with SteamOS? Meanwhile I find Window 8 a bit annoying, but hardly to the point that I would be willing to deal with the headache that is Linux. Talk about annoying and frustrating users? Plop Joe user in front of a Linux box and they will crawling back to Microsoft begging for their Window 8 back.

SteamOS allows you to stream all the games you own on Steam. Try and keep up okay?

And if SteamOS (And Linux/Mac OS) keep increasing market share it will convince devs to add better support for opengl, which will make it easier to port to linux/osx.

And Joe User is already on Linux. Android has over 50% of the marketplace, because cell phones do everything people need too.

You can make all the excuses you want about how it's smartphones vs desktops, and people would buy desktops if they need it, but this is what people are buying.

People could easily use Linux if it had good drivers. If Steam OS takes off, devs will be compelled to make good drivers.

Oh, and that picture that shows MS worldwide marketshare at around 20%? Well it's now 15% and falling:

»blogs.computerworld.com/ ··· -falling