spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

Update coming?

Just got an email from Optimum... seems like an update to the guide? They reboot my boxes almost once a week. Never an email though. Wonder what they are doing to justify the email?

-----

Over the next few days we'll be doing some maintenance to improve your experience with Optimum TV service.

For your convenience, we've scheduled our work between 1AM and 6AM, when fewer customers are watching TV. While we are working, there will be a brief interruption of service and each of your cable boxes will turn off as the program guide is updated. To complete the updates, you will need to turn your cable boxes back on, and within a few minutes, your service will automatically return.

If for some reason it doesn't return, it's easy to fix by simply rebooting your cable box. Unplug the power cord from the back of the cable box, wall outlet or surge protector. Wait 5 seconds, plug it back in and when you see "turn" and "on" alternating on the front panel of the cable box, you can turn it back on.

Thanks for your patience.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

Again?!?!
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Maybe rebranding IO to optimum and adding channel logos?
Improving performance/ responsiveness?
Wonder if both boxes will receive update?

Next update should be to the Multi-room DVR!

kdshapiro
join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ

kdshapiro to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Maybe fixing the issue with Dolby Digital out.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
Maybe they're just tired of getting customer service calls whenever they update during the post-midnight talk shows.

Those of us up late know that

While we are working, there will be a brief interruption of service and each of your cable boxes will turn off as the program guide is updated. To complete the updates, you will need to turn your cable boxes back on, and within a few minutes, your service will automatically return.

is not an isolated occurrence.

Jmartz0
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

I've never been up late enough to see it reboot. I usually find my box turned off in the moning.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
said by Jmartz0:

For your convenience, we've scheduled our work between 1AM and 6AM, when fewer customers are watching TV. While we are working, there will be a brief interruption of service and each of your cable boxes will turn off as the program guide is updated. To complete the updates, you will need to turn your cable boxes back on, and within a few minutes, your service will automatically return.

The download process is broken (or at least poorly designed/implemented). If the STB is a DVR and is recording, the process should not occur. The upgrade should be rescheduled for a later time that night after the recording is over or for the next evening. Also, the record schedule should be checked so that the rescheduled time is not during another scheduled recording and a permissible time can be identified. As for Non-DVR STBs, there is little that can be done to block the dropping of the connection when CV plays games with the box. One solution would be a setting that will tell the downloader to abort its attempt if the STB is powered on (which could be an indication that the STB is in use to watch TV). A warning Email can be sent if the attempt is aborted 3 nights in a row due to this switch asking that the switch be turned off so that the update can be done (a list of times that the update will be reattempted would be useful in allowing the update to occur while the box is powered off).

Jmartz0
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

I'm not really sure what you post is possible... from what I remember reading here the update happens during the boot process when the box sees the configuration file or whatever. So they have to push a reboot script to make the box see the new file... the file does not "download" to the box when its powered on, or even in standby mode.
Jmartz0

1 edit

Jmartz0

The just hit my box... i've been staying up late late because of my new hours. So we will see..... AND... no change. I guess I got my hopes up... still can't cancel accidental channel change by exiting after hitting a number key. I think that's my biggest pet peve !!

cvccc
@cablevision.com

3 recommendations

cvccc

Anon

-Fix for Samsung Pixilation issues which is expected to eliminate scheduled system reboots

-Support provided for Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio using HDMI cables connected to an SA 4250 or SA 8300 HD cable box

-Eliminate video and audio freeze in the scaled video window when turbo scrolling within the Guide

-Provide customer friendly messaging when retrieving additional guide data within the Guide
“Please wait while we retrieve more guide data”

-Simplified Parental Control settings assignment for blocking “non-rated” content

-Provide Guide data display during playback of recorded content via local DVR and Multi-Room DVR

-Provide ability to filter on Ethnic and Foreign programs while searching for content within the Guide

-Provide additional Closed Captioning settings for Scientific Atlanta cable boxes

-Provide an improved customer experience when scheduling series programs
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

^^^^^
Great post

georgermct
PERFORMANCE
join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT

georgermct to cvccc

to cvccc
When will they fix (8300HD) the guide stating "New" for movie stations (HBO, Starz etc), showing a premier of a move (like the OLD guide did).

When will they fix shows only getting partially recorded?
Bridegroom was only shown ONCE on the OWN network and will not be aired again anywhere, not even On Demand. The DVR only recorded the first hour and then quit.

When willl they fix conflict notification on upcoming schedule conflicts that are already programed. As it stands if there are three shows (or more) scheduled to record in the future (due to networks switching time slots) a random show will be dropped without notification.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Switch out to Samsung boxes and order Multi-room DVR
Save money
Record 10 shows at once
3x the storage
Wow I sound like an ad

Another thing I noticed is improved picture quality on the Samsung
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

Keep in mind you lose live rewind by doing that.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

I don't watch a lot of live tv but will hit pause when starting to watch sports
Wasn't a deal breaker for me

georgermct
PERFORMANCE
join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT

georgermct to majortom1029

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

Keep in mind you lose live rewind by doing that.

That's one reason why I wont jump to DVR+ not to mention all that lag.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

You lose that buffer when you change channels and since the new guide you lose the ability to record said buffer

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
said by Jmartz0:

I'm not really sure what you post is possible... from what I remember reading here the update happens during the boot process when the box sees the configuration file or whatever. So they have to push a reboot script to make the box see the new file... the file does not "download" to the box when its powered on, or even in standby mode.

Yes the update occurs at boot time. The problem is that they grab control of the box and force it to reboot. If they just sent the indicator to the box but did not interrupt what it was doing (ie: Recording or Viewing a show) there would be no problem since the box would wait to be updated the next time it was powered off and on.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to georgermct

to georgermct
Bridegroom is on Netflix. Started watching it today. Beautiful story.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Anyone else get a recent update? Still at v1.1.7 February 25 2013

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

Brooklyn got 1.1.8 earlier this week.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Just got same email OP received. Hopefully it will address the need for me to reboot once a week to fix slowness. (Memory leak?)

Over the next few days we'll be doing some maintenance to improve your experience with your Optimum TV service. This maintenance will only affect your Samsung digital cable boxes.

For your convenience, we've scheduled our updates between 1AM and 6AM, when fewer customers are watching TV. After the updates, turn your Samsung digital cable boxes back on and within a few minutes, your TV service will be available.

If your TV service is not available, simply reboot your cable box. Unplug the power cord from the back of the cable box, wall outlet or surge protector. Wait 5 seconds, plug it back in and when you see "turn" and "on" alternating on the front panel of the cable box, you can turn it back on.

Thanks for your patience.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I got the email too, I wonder what the update is for

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Jmartz0

MVM

to Jmartz0
I get a reboot every 6 weeks or so and the only time I've ever gotten an e-mail was when they were planning to roll out the new guide. Since the box is in my bedroom (and my wacky sleeping habits) I often see the box reboot and/or wake up to see "turn on" instead of the time.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to WK2

to WK2
Checked both boxes this morning and they are now at v1.1.8.10
Did not have Turn On just time of day

Time will tell if it fixes anything

sandman9r
Premium Member
join:2003-11-09
Franklin Square, NY

sandman9r to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
I think you can now cancel the accidental channel change. I was so happy when I found out about it yesterday.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Good catch

I noticed a couple of fixes when watching recording from Multi Room DVR:
Hitting Info now shows complete description with season and episode
Hitting DVR button while watching a recording no longer cuts out program and now shows program in upper right window
Same thing when bringing up Guide
RobertMets12
join:2010-10-16

RobertMets12

It seems like channel changing is faster. Before the update after I used the dvr and the guide channel changing would slow down to a point where I had to reboot the box. Losing data after midnight was also fixed with this update.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Jmartz0

MVM

to Jmartz0
I'm on the Raritan system and I got the e-mail tonight. It does seem very odd for them to send out this e-mail. Perhaps it's just Cablevision's way of engaging their customers more when they do updates.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Update seemed to fix my need to reboot box very 5 or 6 days
Prior to update channel changing and guide functions slowed within a week of normal use