spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sourp

join:2013-09-19

VMedia - The Worst

I’m sure there are plenty of happy vmedia customers on here, and that’s wonderful, I’m glad that things worked out for you, but this is about my personal experience with the most inept company I’ve ever dealt with. This is no ad-hoc exaggeration; this was truly the worst.

This is continuation of my ongoing journal of my experiences with vmedia, some of you have probably seen the previous post, but I'll sum it up the best I can from the point where it went all wrong:

1) I moved, gave them my new address and number.
2) Noticed the info was wrong on my profile, had them reconfirm that they had my new address and number.
3) I get an installation email, it has some random address (?) and my old number. I had them reconfirm that they gave Rogers my new address and phone number.
4) Install date comes around, Rogers goes to the random address and calls my old number.

Italics will be from the previous post.

13) Just got a new installation email for September 25th, 2013. Address is correct for the first time, the phone number is STILL wrong.

14) I called Sales again when I noticed the wrong number from #13. She stated that though the number on the installation notice is incorrect, they have the correct information. Just to be sure, I had her read back to me the number that was provided to Rogers. … It was the wrong one again. At this point, I was put on hold again while she sorted it all out.

15) Installation came and went, there were some issues, but they had to do with Roger’s techs, not vmedia.

16) I still needed a refund for the periods where I didn’t have internet (Half of August, and September 1st - 27th), and I wanted to upgrade my package to 45/4. I spoke to a rep who assured me that both will be completed starting in the new billing period, October 1st. He said he’d get back to me about compensation for the mind-blowing screw up on the 18th.

17) I checked my speed on October 1st. Still 25/2; still no refunds. I called again and spoke to a Supervisor, who assured me that it would all be taken care of within the next “few days”. The compensation, however, he said would have to wait until someone spoke with Billing.

18) October 11th, still no refunds, no speed upgrade, no call from a Supervisor. At this point, I’d had it. I called them again and told them to get it done before the end of the weekend or I’m leaving (babysitting is part of being a vmedia customer).

19) October 15th, still nothing. Guess I’m leaving. First, I wanted to make damn sure I got my money back. I live-chatted with a Sales rep and told them to refund August and September before I had Visa do it.

20) Finally got my refunds, still no speed upgrade though, and no Supervisor ever got back to me about compensation. I notified Billing that they had one more chance.

21) I received a voicemail from George Burger; how nice to hear from someone with some authority at vmedia. Don’t know why it took this long, but I appreciated it nonetheless. He asked me to contact him back to discuss all the problems I’ve had with vmedia. I called him back a few times, always voicemail, so I finally left my daytime phone number and email address in a voicemail. Never heard back. That was almost a week ago. I could have left another voicemail as a friendly reminder, but I felt like I was just opening another cycle of vmedia babysitting, and I’d had enough of that.

So there you have it. For anyone who’s heard of CIK Telecom, they’re directly linked to vmedia. TypeS mentioned this in a reply to my previous post and speed tests will always list “CIK TELECOM” as the provider. I think vmedia is just a puppet of CIK Telecom. If you’ve heard bad things about CIK Telecom, just apply those same reviews to vmedia; they’re one in the same.

I’m headed over to another ISP. So far I'm liking all the attention their Customer Service is showering on me.

Good luck to all you current customers. My advice, don’t try and change anything. It’ll be less of a hassle to just switch to another ISP.

deivegru

join:2013-06-26
That sucks dude, sorry to hear!

I've got vmedia myself...must be in the minority (or those who are happy tend to not come on and just cheer, while those who are upset will always be louder... pretty strong fact for any type of service / product review) I've had no major issues, and when I had a speed concern, it got fixed very quickly. A billing concern also got fixed on first shot.

Unfortunately everyone gets different levels of service just based on who you end up talking to in customer service. Hope your new ISP treats you better than vmedia has!

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to sourp
Vmedia actually doesn't run their own internet service, they resell CIK TELECOM.

I'm guessing you got their cable service, as you mentioned ROGERS.

Rogers has been playing games with many of the Wholesale TPIA ISP's as of late... very well documented on this site. There is currently a complaint at the CRTC about it, as under the current rules where was no promise of performance or SLA included, which as of late it would appear the incumbents have decided they are going to treat the 3rd parties as 2nd or 3rd class when it comes to installs/repairs.

Once it works, it tends to WORK, but sometimes you just have to take a few deep breaths to get through the install process when ROGERS decides to play dirty.

Before all the people come out and scream "BUT YOU ARE PAYING VMEDIA, NOT ROGERS" just remember, under our current government mandated system, it's exactly that.. MANDATED. There is no contract to sue over, no SCREAMING AT ROGERS and expecting them to do anything that the CRTC doesn't have set on the rules. There is only 1 supplier for CABLE and 1 supplier for DSL in any one area for the end user networks. Once the CRTC deals with the recent complaint, I think things will change, but until then, you have to wait, or accept you may have to pay more (or a lot more) to get it IMMEDIATELY.

GeorgeBurger

join:2011-12-30
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to sourp
It is an unfortunate aspect of forums (fora?) that a named service provider is stuck with often undeserved labels on a new thread. For example, in this case, the words "VMedia-The Worst" will remain an unfortunate headline even though the original poster has no justification for writing those words, and indeed, in the circumstances of the OP's interactions with VMedia, the OP should be appreciative of the courtesy with which the OP's demands were met.

Few people will read the entire thread to get the whole story, and VMedia will have to live deal with this unfortunate headline, but this is the business VMedia is in, and it has to deal with these situations as they come.

VMedia is also constrained by privacy issues. Posters can name our employees, make any wild claim they want, and they not only have no accountability, but they also limit the provider's ability to respond. Nonetheless, within those limitations, a response is necessary.

On August 12 we received the OP's order for Cable Internet 25/2 to be installed at Address No. 1. The Cable installation at this address was confirmed for August 28, 2013 from 11-2 p.m. and VMedia sent the OP an official notification about the installation date and time at this address on August 26 .On the same date we received a reply from the OP that the installation time wasn't suitable to the OP and the OP would like to reschedule for August 30 or any date after August 30.
As per the OP's request we rescheduled the installation at this address for a later date and after the installation was confirmed , we sent the OP a new confirmation on August 28 informing the OP that the installation at Address No. 1 was now scheduled for September 6 from 11-2 p.m. The OP responded to our notification on the same date informing us that the OP's mobile number isn’t to be used except for the day of the installation and the technician should go to the side door (right side) upon arrival.

However, we also received a call from the OP saying that the OP was not available on this date, and asking to reschedule the installation to a different address, Address No. 2, which was first indicated as a shipping address in the OP's account. The request to reschedule the installation was processed , and we scheduled a new installation at Address No. 2 but the earliest date was September 18. We sent another notification on September 14 confirming that date and the time of the new installation.

When the installation at Address No. 2 was already in process the OP contacted us by email asking to reschedule the installation again to a different address, Address No. 3, and also upgrade the Cable Internet 25/2 to Cable 45/4. We had to reschedule the installation again to Address No. 3 and after the installation was confirmed for September 25, we sent the OP notification about it on September 22 .
On September 23 the OP called our Customer Service saying that the OP did receive the notification about the installation date but the phone number provided was incorrect and requested to update it to a new number. The contact number for the technician was successfully updated before the installation date of September 25.
The service was activated on September 25 but the OP called our Customer Service saying that the OP didn’t start to use the service until September 28, by the OP's choice. Notwithstanding, we agreed to adjust the bill to credit the OP for the OP's three day delay in connecting and beginning use. The refund was issued on October 17. The OP's plan was upgraded to 45/4 to begin November 1.

On October 17 we received an email from the OP asking to provide compensation for the caused inconveniences and the "botched" installation.

We sent an email to the OP offering our Cable plan 45/4 at the price of the 25/2 for 3 months starting from November 1 which is basically $39.00 in savings .The OP rejected the staged credit, asking for the full amount upfront.
The reason we couldn’t credit the OP's account for $39.00 up front for 3 upcoming months is that we don't offer contracts and the OP is free to cancel the service any time. If the OP were to cancel the service before we were able to recoup the credit, or even worse, before the three months were up, , VMedia would have to take the hit. Sometimes it is worth the additional risk to compensate the customer for our fail, but in these circumstances we felt we were being generous.

The OP was not satisfied with our reasoning and instead requested a refund of the installation fee of $64.95 and the cancellation of the account as of November 1.
In the course of these dealings the OP also threatened to badmouth VMedia on the forums if we did not accept the OP's demands. At least that part of the OP's utterances is true.

I did make an effort to reach the OP, calling several times, and I believe I did get one response by voicemail, and frankly I was called to other matters and could not respond before this new thread was started. It should be no surprise that I have no interest in engaging the OP again.

We have a paper trail of these dealings which we can quote from at length if the OP gives us permission, but beyond that we are content to leave it at this, and wish the OP the very best with the OP's new provider, and hope the OP will change the title of this thread or delete it. It is completely undeserved.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so thoroughly George. Sounds to me like vMedia did everything they could to follow along with this customer's absurd needs with multiple addresses and multiple reschedules.

I realize this is difficult to do with said privacy concerns, but this certainly looks like there was nothing done incorrectly from vMedia's side.
--
Weeeeeee

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to GeorgeBurger
I'm surprised you guys were able to keep up with all those requests for changes. My head hurts.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to GeorgeBurger
Its funny to read about stuff like this, people figure they can show up on a forum say what they'd like and it won't refuted

The OP certainly has egg on his face now.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
vmedia -> ciktel -> rogers
vmedia -> ciktel -> bell
remember that small players have to go through big players network.

PUFF it

@videotron.ca
reply to GeorgeBurger

Re: VMedia

The crap you put up with by cheap customers trying to get freebies and living in fly-by-night apartments must make you nuts.

I wouldn't have had your patience.

By the way, can I too have a 39$ credit refunded to me, a free speed bump, and a free install for a service I won't pay you for? Thanks.

Seems the crack in Toronto is good.

Oh, if you don't give it to me (the free service and money, not the crack), I will bad mouth you in forums.

Hows the blood pressure?
Expand your moderator at work

MJB

why don't you talk with rogers the one that is hated in this province
Expand your moderator at work

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to PUFF it

said by PUFF it :

The crap you put up with by cheap customers trying to get freebies and living in fly-by-night apartments must make you nuts.

I wouldn't have had your patience.

By the way, can I too have a 39$ credit refunded to me, a free speed bump, and a free install for a service I won't pay you for? Thanks.

Seems the crack in Toronto is good.

Oh, if you don't give it to me (the free service and money, not the crack), I will bad mouth you in forums.

Hows the blood pressure?

No it's called the new "ENTITLED" MENTALITY that some Canadian's have been developing especially in Toronto.

MJB

Reviews:
·VMedia
·ACN DSL
vmedia is at the mercy of rogers (ROGERS is one you need to go after) they run on the last mile of the big telecoms

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to koreyb
said by koreyb:

No it's called the new "ENTITLED" MENTALITY that some Canadian's have been developing especially in Toronto.

Sadly it's becoming far to common even in smaller town.

sourp

join:2013-09-19
There are enough happy customers here who will refuse to believe that vmedia has done anything wrong, so I’m not going to bother trying to convince any of them. George, on the other hand, you should pay attention to this post because you’re going over the notes your customer service reps passed along to you. Let me correct the most crucial part that started the whole mess.

There was never a third service address, ever. I’ve only lived in two places, and had no reason to add another service address. I spoke to a customer service rep and asked if she should ship the modem to my office. She said she could, but I reminded her that that was not the service address, she seemed to understand that. At no point did she say "No we can't do that; you can only have one address." Once more before I ended the phone call, I reminded her what the service address was. Following that phone call, I had three other CS reps confirm that my service address was what they had in the system, we know how that turned out.

Therein lies the biggest problem I had with your CS reps: They confirm things that really aren’t confirmed at all. They confirmed my address and phone number three to four times, they confirmed that I’d get my refunds and upgrade on Oct. 1, and when that didn’t happen, they confirmed that it will all happen in a few days. There was no ambiguity here; they didn’t say “Maybe” or “Let me get back to you as soon as I can confirm it.” they just said “Yes, it’s done.” There’s no other way to interpret that except “They forgot, again, let me call them to remind them.” This is precisely why, when I was offered the discounted package for a three-month period, I wanted it up front -- I had absolutely no confidence that your operations would remember to apply the discount three months in a row. I was sure I’d have to keep calling again and again just to make sure.

The start date wasn’t deferred due to my choice; that’s another miscommunication in your notes. The first Roger’s technician that showed up on the 25th told me that my lines were dead, and that he’d have to send another technician with a drill on the 28th. The second tech took one look at the lines and confirmed that they were fine. This was not something I blamed vmedia for; not once.

To anyone who thinks it’s unreasonable to ask for compensation for a screw-up, you might feel differently if you made several attempts to make sure your information was accurate, only to have it botched because someone didn’t actually do what they confirmed they would.