Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

Woody79_00 to TheWiseGuy

Premium Member

to TheWiseGuy

Re: ports not stealth

this argument has been raised before...i refer to this thread.

»Place your bets - Closed vs Stealthed

I think the difference between closed and stealth is negligible. as long as the ports are filtered and services are not listening on those ports, then i think its fine. Of course, Stealth or Closed, still gotta keep firmware updated on the firewall itself.

I always say, "The lack of a response is a response in itself" sometimes, its best to hide in plain sight...respond to their probes with a closed message and they go away....After all, it is possible to discover a stealth-ed machine as outlined in that thread.

again though, I don't think its something to bicker over, both are secure enough for most purposes. It just really comes down to personal preference and what your more comfortable with....I have ran closed systems for years without issue, same with stealth....it just depends on which im most comfortable with for which scenario.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

There are even longer threads that occurred even before that thread. Yes it has been discussed here many many times and in great depth.

My viewpoint is that there is a reasonable argument for both positions, that there are advantages/disadvantages to not giving out any information (stealth) by dropping packets and there are advantages/disadvantages to following standard TCP/IP practices and sending RSTs but that which is better really must be an individual preference since as I stated which is better is Debatable"