Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

[IPv6] IPv6 rollout status?

It has been a while since we heard any new status on the IPv6 rollout. The last post on the IPv6 Information Center was a month ago. Can we get an update? Like maybe when Danbury, CT (just a for instance ... hint, hint ...) might see it?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

This Comcast Voices blog item today says "native IPv6 support has been deployed to over 75% of our broadband network, and our goal is 100% in early 2014."

Comcast’s Xfinity Internet Now the World’s Largest Native IPv6 Deployment
By John Brzozowski, Chief IPv6 Architect, Comcast Voices blog - November 26, 2013
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· ployment

Also see:

Comcast Expects To Complete IPv6 Network Rollout By Early 2014
MSO Stakes Claim To World’s Largest Native IPv6 Deployment

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - November 26, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· 4/146911

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to ctgreybeard

Premium Member

to ctgreybeard
I think CT IPV6 is coming soon. About two weeks ago my router picked up an IPV6 address. It wasn't usable(I couldn't access IPV6 sites) and once I rebooted, it went poof.

They were probably testing it or something.

ctgreybeard
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

This Comcast Voices blog item today says "native IPv6 support has been deployed to over 75% of our broadband network, and our goal is 100% in early 2014."

That's interesting because the IPV6 info site, »comcast6.net/ shows a little over 16% coverage. I wonder how it went from 16 to 75 in less than a week.
ctgreybeard

ctgreybeard to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Ah, I should have read the blog first. I believe it says over 25% and not 75% coverage.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by ctgreybeard:

Ah, I should have read the blog first. I believe it says over 25% and not 75% coverage.

IPV6 coverage is "over 75%" of the HSI network, but "over 25% (and growing) of Comcast’s Xfinity Internet customers are actively provisioned with native dual stack broadband Internet service," which I take as the percentage of Comcast HSI customers that are actually utilizing IPv6.

ctgreybeard
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

Well, I'm not sure how to interpret their numbers. I don't think that 75% of the HSI customers have IPv6 available to them from their CMTS. Of course, for any individual subscriber (myself for instance) it's either 100% or 0%. I'm currently in the 0% and waiting. It may well be that 75% of the entire Comcast network is running IPv6 but only 25% (and that's bigger than anyone else AFAIK) of the customers have it available to them? Those are numbers I could believe.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Click for full size
Three or four weeks ago, when I got a new IPv4 address, the modem management for the cable modem went from IPv4 to IPv6.
camper

camper to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Comcast Expects To Complete IPv6 Network Rollout By Early 2014

Gee, wasn't the target date mid-2013 earlier this year?

Then it was 2013. And when I noted the change from mid-2013 to 2013, I caught some grief here.

Now it's early 2014.

The project manager in me says that when the target completion date gets pushed out more quickly than the calendar moving forward, things are not going well....
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by camper:

The project manager in me says that when the target completion date gets pushed out more quickly than the calendar moving forward, things are not going well....

Not that I have any inside knowledge, but it could also be other reasons such as competing time for the same technical resources, other projects taking priority in equipment change windows. Other than the /64 vs /60 prefix assignment, I personally can't recall seeing too many IPv6 issues reported by customers who already have it.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

Not that I have any inside knowledge, but it could also be other reasons such as competing time for the same technical resources, other projects taking priority in equipment change windows.

All true. But the project manager in me continues to mutter that those resource diversions should have been part of the project plan.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to camper

to camper
I know we should all employ patience here, but I hope this new deadline doesn't get delayed again. It's been long enough.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

I've noticed a pattern within Comcast.....

When there is a new "feature" or "benefit" that initiates a new charge on my bill. those "features" or "benefits" seem to be rather tightly tied to the timeline mentioned in the announcement, i.e., they are released on time.

However, when a more nebulous feature or benefit is announced, the timeline for the implementation seems to be most elastic, stretching into months and months beyond the announced date....

Follow The Money, operations vs. investment.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Money talks...........

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Yes it does.

It also speaks to the quality of management within Comcast.

Mr. Roberts, et alia, know the cost vs benefit of the resources in Comcast.

While we, here at DSLR, may be blessed with the interaction of Comcast Engineers from time to time, those interactions will be measured and finite.

We here are customers of Comcast. No more, no less. Sheep being led to slaughter for the Almighty Dollar. In the view of Mr. Roberts, imo, the honor of having an ongoing discussion with a Comcast Engineer here (and I sincerely mean this in a respectful manner) is not something that we should take lightly.

It Is Business. With a cost/profit analysis.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to camper

Premium Member

to camper
said by camper:

Three or four weeks ago, when I got a new IPv4 address, the modem management for the cable modem went from IPv4 to IPv6.

And that is the primary reason that Comcast is pushing IPv6. They need company wide reachable maintenance IP addresses for each modem and STB (in addition to the user accessible public IP addresses) for their umpteen million customers, and IPv4 addresses are scarce resources (even when including the 10/8 network that they exhausted years ago). Without IPv6, product expansion would be stalled. Giving native IPv6 to the end users is just extra icing on the cake (and PR bragging rights).

ctgreybeard
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

If I understand what you are saying then the change on my own modem to IPv6 management (a week or so ago IIRC) means that things are "progressing" in my local environment. I'm encouraged ...

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

And that is the primary reason that Comcast is pushing IPv6. They need company wide reachable maintenance IP addresses for each modem and STB ...

Not necessarily.

Their (Comcast's) modem management network is entirely separate from their customer network.

IPv6 on their management network is independent from IPv6 on their customer network in the context you mention.
camper

camper to ctgreybeard

Premium Member

to ctgreybeard
said by ctgreybeard:

things are "progressing"

Yeah, that's my impression as well.

We'll get there. At some point. Eventually...........

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to camper

Premium Member

to camper
said by camper:

said by NetFixer:

And that is the primary reason that Comcast is pushing IPv6. They need company wide reachable maintenance IP addresses for each modem and STB ...

Not necessarily.

Their (Comcast's) modem management network is entirely separate from their customer network.

IPv6 on their management network is independent from IPv6 on their customer network in the context you mention.

It is separate for you because of ACL implementation (and that does not always work). The actual traffic is definitely on the same physical network (how many coax cables do you see in your drop?).

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

It is separate for you because of ACL implementation and that does not always work). The actual traffic is definitely on the same physical network

May I introduce you to the ISO 7 layer network model that separates the physical layer from the network layer.

When I interview candidates for network support positions, the first question I would ask is, "please tell me the difference between a bridge, gateway and a router." Based upon the comment to which I am replying, you would not pass that screening question.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by camper:

May I introduce you to the ISO 7 layer network model that separates the physical layer from the network layer.

When I interview candidates for network support positions, the first question I would ask is, "please tell me the difference between a bridge, gateway and a router." Based upon the comment to which I am replying, you would not pass that screening question.

I suggest that you click the link I provided in my previous post to see how Comcast actually uses (or at least has used) their network. Knowing the definition of "bridge, gateway and router" is irrelevant to what is being discussed; if an IP address block is visible and accessible from the public Internet it is accessible (and what the network design engineer may or may not have intended is irrelevant).

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

I suggest that you click the link I provided in my previous post

I did click on the link you provided.

I would not characterize what you posted as what Comcast actually uses. I would characterize it as your interpretation of what Comcast uses. Such an interpretation may or not represent what is actually occurring.

From what I have seen, Comcast's management network is different and independent than the customer network, even though they may use the same physical network layer.

As an example, I'd proffer that the management network for my cable modem is now IPv6, yet I do not have IPv6 capability for my home network.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by camper:

I would not characterize what you posted as what Comcast actually uses. I would characterize it as your interpretation of what Comcast uses. Such an interpretation may or not represent what is actually occurring.

From what I have seen, Comcast's management network is different and independent than the customer network, even though they may use the same physical network layer.

As an example, I'd proffer that the management network for my cable modem is now IPv6, yet I do not have IPv6 capability for my home network.

You are absolutely correct; Comcast would never lie to you. Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain; do not believe what you see.

If you truly believe (or want to believe) that Comcast uses the same IP addresses (IPv4 or IPv6) multiple times on their network, then by all means continue to believe that.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

from what I've heard and seen, inside Comcast they use a completely different network for management... every STB and Cable modem has a management IP in the 10.x.x.x private range when it was IPv4.... then you had your public addresses on top of that. so technically he's right they do use different address ranges for management
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody to ctgreybeard

to ctgreybeard
Still not IPv6 here, supposedly waiting on Cisco Headend support for IPv6

This still says not available here: »www.comcast6.net/

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

If you truly believe (or want to believe) that Comcast uses the same IP addresses (IPv4 or IPv6) multiple times on their network, then by all means continue to believe that.

I do not believe that, and I have not I said that.
camper

camper to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

from what I've heard and seen, inside Comcast they use a completely different network for management... every STB and Cable modem has a management IP in the 10.x.x.x private range when it was IPv4....

Yup. That's what I heard and saw.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to camper

to camper
said by camper:

said by NetFixer:

Not necessarily.

It would make sense when Comcast has management address space that overlaps in different regions so they're not able to manage parts of their network from other regions of their network. Having v6 address space would eliminate that complete mess due to a lack of v4 address space.

Yes, it is logically separate not physically separate.

Of course but that still doesn't change the fact that even preping the management side would still involve changes to their infrastructure that would benefit the roll out on the segments providing Internet access.

34764170 (banned) to camper

to camper
said by camper:

That question lacks context for one of the words. FAIL. I doubt NetFixer would want to work with someone with such an attitude.