uniqs
R2K
Premium Member
join:2013-10-30

R2K

Premium Member

[STB] Sound on Second TV using Coaxial

Hello, everyone.

Just moved to a FiOS-serviced area and signed up for a TV + Internet bundle.

I have a Verizon-provided Cisco DVR STB that is connected to our primary living room HDTV using HDMI, and our secondary bedroom TV using coaxial. The second TV isn't something we asked for; the Verizon tech just ran a cable and an IR blaster to the adjacent bedroom, handed us a second remote, and essentially said, "Enjoy!"

The primary TV works perfectly, as expected. The secondary TV works well (SD and 4:3, but oh well) as long as the primary TV is turned on. Once the primary TV is turned off, the sound for the secondary TV cuts out as well. I'm guessing this is for people with home theaters who want the soundtrack to cut out when the TV is off.

Is there some setting hidden in the STB menus somewhere that can override this feature, allowing to hear me sound over coaxial while the HDMI TV is turned off?

Thanks.
MacAlert
join:2005-03-16
Flushing, NY

MacAlert

Make sure HDMI control (don't remember the exact name) is turned off on your TV and STB. Also ensure that your STB is not being turned off.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to R2K

MVM

to R2K
What's happening is the HDMI interface is telling the STB that the TV is off and the STB shuts off its outputs.

Only thing I can suggest to to run component cables from the STB to the primary TV. That way there is no HDMI signalling from the TV to the STB.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

I use an S video output on my HD DVR to record shows I want to keep on my DVD recorder. Turn the tv off all the time and it works just fine.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to R2K

to R2K
Your HDMI power control settings on the TV need to be disabled.