spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHox

join:2012-05-31

Leasing tower space - Grain Management, LLC?

Anyone happen to lease a tower from Grain Management, LLC?

I am looking at getting on a tower they own, curious how they are. I've read 1 bad review but nothing else..

I have never used a tower like this before, what type of interferrence do I have to worry about when using a tower like this?

The tower has an FM radio station on the top, and ATT and Sprint in the middle, as well as another WISP on it that is only using Canopy900mhz with a ubnt 5ghz backhaul.

I would like to put a UBNT AF5 on it for PTP and ubnt rockets/sectors at 2.4ghz, maybe some 5ghz if I can find space to do so.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

your going have to wait year and half for AF5 to even come out....

TheHox

ok ok, Ignore my af5 statement, I'll put a rocket on there for now. I will put an af5 on when they come out, if ever, that is besides the point of my main questions though.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

FM radio can interfere with ethernet so use really well shielded CAT5 cable.

TheHox

Yea I've heard that quite a bit.. The UBNT tough cable series work for that? Thats what I have been using on other stuff..

What about the 5ghz radios? The other wisp had/has a 5ghz omni up there, and for some reason they never went live with it because they said it had issues.. I heard this info 2nd hand, so the story may have been mixed up.. Not sure what the issues were, but according to the tower owner they still have it there and are paying for it. Its listed as a Cyclone 5250-360 omni.

There is a FAA antenna tower 3.2 miles from this tower now that I think of it..

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

said by TheHox:

There is a FAA antenna tower 3.2 miles from this tower now that I think of it..

Tower or RADAR?

TheHox

Not sure. I'll have to go drive by again and take a look. I looked at it about 6 months ago and remember seeing something about FAA on the site tag.

Tuscaloosa, AL

said by TheHox:

I looked at it about 6 months ago and remember seeing something about FAA on the site tag.

That could be an FAA registration number, not necessarily an FAA site.

TheHox

Click for full size
Click for full size
Took a quick drive and snapped these pics.

Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

said by TheHox:

Took a quick drive and snapped these pics.

That's an FAA facility all right and it looks like its purpose is a microwave repeater. Around here they are commonly used to connect airport surveillance RADAR such as the ASR-11 or TDWR to an air traffic control center (ATC) or Tower.

»www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/asr-11/

»www.ll.mit.edu/mission/aviation/···dwr.html

TheHox

Are these generally on the DFS bands or something else? Curious as to what freq and how much spectrum they are using.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

I'm sure the repeater would use licensed bands. As the sign says "loss of human life may result".

Tuscaloosa, AL

2 edits
reply to TheHox

said by TheHox:

Are these generally on the DFS bands or something else?

Something else, the FAA utilizes licensed frequencies for their life safety systems, DFS is primarily a TDWR interference solution.

Curious as to what freq and how much spectrum they are using.

You might be able to pull up that site by its coordinates in the FCC database and or by the tower registration number.