santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1

5 recommendations

[Serious] Health problems have popped up

Hi all. Just wanted to give a quick post to let all my team mates know why I have not been posting much in the last couple of weeks. On Friday morning Oct 18th I had my room mate drive me to the ER as I thought I might be having a heart attack.

Turns out what I have is Atrial Fibrillation. Some time in the future (don't know when yet) I'll be facing open heart surgery to repair or replace on of my valves. I'm on a blood thinner along with 2 other meds to regulate my heart beat. I'm out of work until the doctor releases me to go back so no money coming in and I have no health insurance.. Everything is being paid out of pocket.

I stayed in the hospital for three days coming home on the afternoon of the 20th and have since had a follow up with my cardiologist. Today I spent the day as an outpatient having a couple of tests done. One was a TEE which they knocked me out and stuck a camera (ultrasound/echocardiogram) down my throat to look at the back side of my heart for damage/blood clots etc. When they were done, the shocked me trying to get my heart back to a normal rhythm. Apparently they shocked me twice and the procedure failed. My heart still has an irregular beat. I also have a slight first degree burn on my chest where the paddle was stuck to me. I have to contact my doctor tomorrow to see where we go from here and whether I can even work any more.. I sure hope something breaks to the good news side soon.

Since I'm home all the time, I'll try to get on more often instead of moping around the house. I need some zero cost things to do that won't cause me to over exert myself.

Thanks for listening and may your days be blessed and better than mine have been. I think I'm about to hit bottom so that means things have to look up right?
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Thanks for letting us know what's going on with you. I sure hope you're right about things looking up soon!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

reply to santy
You will be in my prayers.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Oh man, be well! I'll have Alain do her prayers!

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Best wishes

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Prayers and MoJo on their way!

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

1 recommendation

reply to santy
My best thoughts and wishes for a full and quick recovery and your return to good health!

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Mojo on the way!

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown

1 recommendation

reply to santy
You will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers, santy. Hang in there!
--
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:19

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Gentle (((Hugs)))!

We are all here for you, know that.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Prayers for you kind sir!

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to santy
My thoughts & prayers, santy!!
They can do alot more, these days, than just a few years ago so keep that chin up, buddy!

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Best of luck, santy. I'm hoping all your problems have a speedy and successful outcome. I know how troublesome arrhythmia can be and have my own first hand knowledge of "the paddles". Damn guys tried to kill me during a routine heart ablation back in '09...

sp.

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Best wishes and prayers that all works out OK.

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to santy
My thoughts are with you, santy.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24

2 recommendations

reply to santy
Thank you for letting us know, santy. You know prayer is offered up from my house for you for a "looking way up" outcome.

Just one suggestion for a zero cost thing to do. If you have a Kindle, that's great. If not, download the Kindle app. Search the Kindle area on amazon.com for free Kindle books. I know Kindle books really helped keep my mind off my knee issue during the long helpless period.

What rusdi said, modern medicine can do so much more for you than even a few years ago. Keep faith and hope, friend.
--
Join Team Helix

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

reply to santy
And if people ask what you're doing, you can tell them you're "Kindle-ing"
--
Xubuntu, it's the real thing!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Also, for when you can't stop thinking about it, find a good support forum online to talk to other people going through similar health issues. Sometimes it helps to be with people who relate with understanding which comes only from experience.

I'm sure you know such a site is to be taken with a grain of salt when somebody offers medical advice, of course. I'm just saying the company might help.
--
Join Team Helix

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL

4 recommendations

reply to santy
Thanks everyone for the prayers,mojo and best wishes. I just got back from the docs office and the bad news is I'm now looking at having open heart surgery done to repair or replace the bad valve in my heart. Need to wait until I have health insurance as I was told it's around 100,000 bucks or so. Hopefully nothing happens in the meantime to make it an emergency type of surgery.

The good news is I go back to work on Friday Nov. 8th. with a restriction of no heavy lifting. Nothing over 30 lbs. At least I'll have money coming in again in a couple of weeks. I also have another med to take so I'm up to 4 meds and my daily multi vitamin. I'll keep updating as I know more.

Thanks again.
--

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

2 recommendations

said by santy:

I also have another med to take so I'm up to 4 meds and my daily multi vitamin.

Rookie. 14 meds here and 5 vitamins / supplements. 8 of the meds are heart / circulation related.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to santy
LOTS of Healing Light headed your way, Santy!!!

And I will definitely second Sunny's suggestion on using a Kindle, if you have one! If you don't, you can always download and install the Kindle Reader for PC:

»www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?d ··· 00493771

I have a Kindle Fire HD. I also have the Kindle Reader software in stalled on my BlackBerry Q10 (had to sideload it to get it on there!), and on my PC. Everything stays synced, and I can read anywhere I want to, when I have the time. I can highly recommend the Kindle Reader app for the PC -- you get the full screen to read! And with my eyes these days, I need all the help I can get!
--

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 recommendations

I forgot to mention that our country library system purchases tons of Kindle licenses, so most of my Kindle reading comes from that source. No additional cost to me. That might be worth checking out, santy, if you do enjoy reading.
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to santy
What needs to happen for you to have health insurance?
--
Join Team Helix

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind

1 recommendation

reply to santy
My thoughts and prayers to you santy.
--
giz~

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
reply to howieh
IF I remember right, I think my dad was around 20 meds before he died. The fewer the better considering on of my meds is 300 bucks a month.
--

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

What needs to happen for you to have health insurance?

I basically need to sign up for insurance for one, the other is I need a raise to pay for it. I've been living paycheck to paycheck for 6 years just paying the important bills to live and get to work.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

Helping one of my family for almost two years now I completely understand the situation you are in with the job situation. Any chance you could move to a place with more and better jobs, like Midland, Texas?
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to santy
»www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenha ··· -growth/
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to santy
Wondering every day how you're doing.

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL

7 recommendations

so far doing good. I get tired a little easier than I used to but nothing unusual so far. Luckily its been a little slower at work than it used to be so that is helping me get back in the swing of things.

--