spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mike123
@wideopenwest.com

Mike123

Anon

MoCA and UltraTV

Is it possible to connect to the UltraTV MoCA network and get a routable IP address using a D-Link DX221 (»www.dlink.com/us/en/home ··· rter-kit) or Netgear MCAB1001 (»www.netgear.com/service- ··· ax/moca/)

Or alternatively, can I run an pair of the above mentioned devices over the same coax cable without interfering with UltraTV? In otherwords can the DLink DX221 share the same cable run with UltraTV while working independently?
Mike123

Mike123

Anon

UltraTV gateway\ / UltraTV Media player
|-- splitter ------ coax-cable -----splitter |
ethernet ---DLink DX221 / \ DLink DX221 ---- ethernet
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count to Mike123

to Mike123
In order to use homeconnect you need to let UltraTV assign IP address.

If you let your d-link assign them, everything on your d-link will talk to each other but it won't talk to anything connected to your UltraTV box.
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

I think the question is whether the MoCA side will interoperate with other MoCA devices so you could add ethernet connections at the other end of your coax from the gateway. This is a mostly-hardware level that should just pass IP through transparently. I can't answer that, but MoCA is supposed to be a standard so I would expect it to work. If anyone knows for sure, please post your experience. I have cat5 most of the places I need it, but it would be an interesting option.

Mike123
@wideopenwest.com

Mike123

Anon

Partial success.
I disconnected my STB and hooked up the DLink DXN-220. It was unable to get an IP address assigned using DHCP. I assigned a static IP address and I'm able to reach the local network, ie. computers on the same subnet. I can access the admin interface of the UltraTV gateway as well. But no access to the Internet. It is as if the UltraTV gateway will not forward traffic from the MoCA interface to the WAN.
This is strange because the UltraTV media players are able to reach the internet (they can stream content (Flickr) from the internet).
So partial success... Yes, the DXN220 can be a MoCA peer to the UltraTV gateway, but the UltraTV gateway does not to route traffic to the WAN (internet)...
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

That's interesting - does it show up in the gateway's 'Moca' page? I assume you configured the gateway address as your default gateway and the same dns servers it gives out as part of your static ip settings.

Mike123
@wideopenwest.com

Mike123

Anon

Yes, it shows up on the Gateway's MoCA page as a 'Moca Device' with correct MAC address.

Yes, when I set the IP address on my laptop I also manually set the gateway IP and DNS server IP. No matter what, I'm unable to reach outside the local subnet, i.e. not past the UltraTV gateway.

Can I run a pair of DXN-221 on the same coax cable as the UltraTV devices? I understand only a single MoCA network can exist per 'band', which tells me that if UltraTV uses Band D, the pair of DXN221 must be using something else, like Band C (925 Mhz - 1Ghz). That band should be available as I only use UltraTV.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

Have you tried playing with the firewall settings? It doesn't make much sense that that the media players can reach the internet if other MoCA devices can't - but maybe the applications are really running on the gateway. It might be easier to use ethernet over powerline adapters than getting the MoCA adapters to run on different bands.

Mike123
@wideopenwest.com

Mike123

Anon

Yes, I've tried turning off the firewall. No change.

The only thing I can think of is that the gateway runs an http proxy and the players use the proxy to reach the internet.