Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

1 edit

Only 240 Miles For A Full Tank On A V6 3.4 L Engine?

Please someone tell me that this is not so. I bought a car recently, a 2003 Buick Rendezvou "CX", it's a 3.4 liter AWD V6 and this thing only gives me 240 mi. for FULL TANK of fuel.

Are you kidding me? My old 1998 Chevy Venture minivan was a V6 too and it gave me at least 335 miles for a full tank of gas. That's almost 100 miles more.

Can there be something wrong or are these cars this heavy on fuel? Jesus Christ 2 days ago I filled the tank on the Rendezvou and it dropped a quater of a tank with only 42 miles of driving, but I did had the engine on idle for 1 hour while parked because it was cold here in Toronto,Canada it was 28 F. 1 hr of idling on park is going to affect fuel consumption this much? C'mon.

What do you guys think?

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
Click for full size
I took it to the mechanic for a computer read-out for an unrelated pilot light and this is the code the computer showed. Do you guys think a tune-up and change of sparkplug cables and sparks might fix the issue? (heavy fuel comsumption)

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Why not start by addressing the cause of the trouble code instead of throwing spark plugs at it? It very likely needs a new thermostat, and ensure that the coolant level is correct and at the proper degree of freeze protection. A sensor indicating low temp will always burn excess fuel, because the computer sees that the engine is still cold so it increases the fuel flow through the injectors. This is the modern-day equivalent of a choke, and having it stuck-closed which resulted in the same issue.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

4 recommendations

reply to Xstar_Lumini
The Rendezvous has an 18 gallon tank.

A '98 Venture had an available 25-gallon tank.

You realize that a 25-gallon tank would hold more gasoline than an 18-gallon tank would, yes?

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Xstar_Lumini
You didn't tell us HOW MUCH fuel you actually used. Fuel tanks come in quite a variety of sizes. Our Suburban holds 42 gallons, while the Accord only holds 16. It's also possible that your fuel gauge is broken. How many gallons did you put in the tank after that 240 miles?

Edit: According to this link: »www.edmunds.com/buick/rendezvous/2003/ it was rated at 17 MPG City and 24 Highway. So 14 gallons in 240 miles would be close to that 17 MPG mark.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

The Rendezvous has an 18 gallon tank.

A '98 Venture had an available 25-gallon tank.

I was thinking the same thing.... He may presume all gas tanks are a standard capacity. I'd guess it gets around 15-18mpg in the city and in the case of the trouble code and the results he'll see (per mattmag See Profile) and leaving it idle for an hour, he should expect the lower side of that range.

Doing the math, 240 divided by 18 works out to 13.3mpg...

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
MATTMAG, DENNISMURPHY & HARRY3

You guys make excellent points here. Mattmag I hope god you are right about the cold temp code thing.

I also suspected that the Chevy Venture had a bigger tank because I needed $86 to fill it up from empty while the Rendezvou only takes $74 but still how do you guys explain a paltry 42 miles of driving to guzzle down a quater of a tank?

I made a test with my Chevy Venture before I got rid of it. It travelled 100 kilometers with 16.9 L of gas. For you americans that would be 62 miles for 4.4 gallons of fuel, or 14 miles a gallon. I had no complaints about this. I will address the code temp thing as soon as possible, thanks MATTMAG I would have never imagined that a temp/thermotast code would have anything to do with fuel consumption, LOL.

I will address this immediately because it's costing me around $20 per fill up.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by Xstar_Lumini:

...to guzzle down a quater of a tank?

I don't know that the gauge is accurate enough to judge it that way.
said by Xstar_Lumini:

It travelled 100 kilometers with 16.9 L of gas. For you americans that would be 62 miles for 4.4 gallons of fuel, or 14 miles a gallon.

If you used all 18 gallons for those 240 miles, that works out to just over 13mpg.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by HarryH3:

Edit: According to this link: »www.edmunds.com/buick/rendezvous/2003/ it was rated at 17 MPG City and 24 Highway. So 14 gallons in 240 miles would be close to that 17 MPG mark.

I only get 240 miles regardless if it's city driving or highway, last time I did half-half and did not see any changes for the better. When the low-fuel light comes on and the gauge is at the "red line" it takes $76 dollars to fill-up to the rim which at $1.25 per litre comes to 60.8 litres or 16 gallons.

(Price of gasoline in Toronto this week was $1.25 per litre = $4.70 a gallon)

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
reply to Xstar_Lumini
You also said you let it idle for an hour while parked. Yeah, that'll have a decent impact on your MPG. (Or is that KPL in Canada?)

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to Xstar_Lumini
According to fuelly, consumption (real world) is ranging from 18 to 24 mpg with some outliers.

If you park and idle for an hour it should use about 2 liters, total.

You didn't say whether you are driving city or highway to get that 14mpg, but it sounds low. It should be about the same as the minivan.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

You also said you let it idle for an hour while parked. Yeah, that'll have a decent impact on your MPG. (Or is that KPL in Canada?)

Personally, im from quebec and it gets colder here, Idleing for an hour at 28f (-2c) is really a huge waste of gas, I dont start plugging in my cars block heater until it hits -15 celcius (5f) Op, if i were you id pick up a scanguage ii and plug it in the OBD II connector, I like my big vehicles (ford ranger 4l and pontiac grand prix 3.8l) and it has helped me greatly reduce my fuel consumption by altering my driving habits. I leave mine on l/100km average, l/100km real time and L per Hour. that l per hour one really makes you think twice about idleing a car believe me.

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
reply to Xstar_Lumini
We have a 2003 Saturn L300 with a 3.0 V6 and had a similar problem. On the temperature gauge, where is the needle when the car is fully warmed up? It should be half way or a little under. GM had a problem with bad thermostats circa 2003 which is what we had when that code pops up. If the stat is stuck open and you are driving at near freezing, the engine will not stay at operating temp ~190F or what ever the stat is set to open.

The temp gauge on our car only got up to a little over a quarter of the way. If it is warm outside, you don't really notice the problem since the car will heat up enough to not throw the MIL and related code.

If the car has a decent amount of miles, you might want to look at changing the thermostat. Hopefully its easier to get to then the L300 V6. On that car, the whole intake plenum had to come out just to get down to the thermostat housing.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Xstar_Lumini
What F100 said x2

If it doesn't reach normal operating temp it will be stuck in warmup mode which is much richer (more fuel) and thus the awful mileage. And yes, idling for an hour will kill mpg figures as well.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois
reply to Xstar_Lumini
The poor mileage/P0128 combo is very common, and it always caught people by surprise that a thermostat would help their fuel mileage.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

that l per hour one really makes you think twice about idleing a car believe me.

It was 28 F but extremely windy at 5:30am, I don't care if I have to pay an extra $3 of fuel to be in comfort for 1 hour, with the heat off the windows start to fog-up and I start to cough, the ambient in the car gets colder than outside. It's gets to -20 below zero here every winter so I have to keep the idling going.

I have noticed that the gauge needle for the temperature sometimes reaches 3/4th of the way up but it comes down to a little below half. But I have noticed that it takes time for the heat to come through the vents when I turn on the heat. Eventually it heats up though.

At YOU guys' advice right now the car is at a mechanic shop, changing the thermostat and the temp sensor, I will update if the fuel consumption changes for the better.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Is the idling to warm up the car or are you just stuck in the car for some odd reason idling. Yes in Phoenix now but have lived in cold areas and never remember having to always idle all the time for larve amounts of time for warmth. Have say started a car while getting ice off windows in am or an occasional wait time here and there.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
This will likely turn into a big debate about "warming up the car" in cold weather -- in fact, I'm not going there. But, I'm 99% certain he was NOT warming the car up for an hour. He was *waiting* on someone or something.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
said by Hall:

This will likely turn into a big debate about "warming up the car" in cold weather -- in fact, I'm not going there. But, I'm 99% certain he was NOT warming the car up for an hour. He was *waiting* on someone or something.

Yes at my work we are at the jobsite at 6:00am and start working at 7:00am, it's to keep warm while I drink my coffee, I never said I warmed up the car for that long, I turned my car "on" in -10 weather and take off immediately.

I stopped warming up vehicles in cold weather since the moment you guys adviced me NOT to do it, that it hurts the car more to warm it up then it is to just drive away.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by Hall:

Yes at my work we are at the jobsite at 6:00am and start working at 7:00am, it's to keep warm while I drink my coffee, I never said I warmed up the car for that long, I turned my car "on" in -10 weather and take off immediately.

I stopped warming up vehicles in cold weather since the moment you guys adviced me NOT to do it, that it hurts the car more to warm it up then it is to just drive away.

ok, on that explanation i forgive you i do the same, with my scanguage i was blown away by the consumption on a cold engine while its running in "closed loop" whats really cool is when i set it for water temp, those mornings when i get to my car and the temp reads -15c

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

I have noticed that the gauge needle for the temperature sometimes reaches 3/4th of the way up but it comes down to a little below half. But I have noticed that it takes time for the heat to come through the vents when I turn on the heat. Eventually it heats up though.

should not take more then a mile or 2 to start putting out hot air. My car starts putting out hot air after 1 to 2 miles even if it is 20F outside.

just like today 1.5 miles it was putting out hot air. that was at 35F engine start temperature.

my car does idle high though tell warmed up about 1,200-1,300 rpm
normal idle is 700-750rpm ish.

if it takes any longer, you may have a issue with the heater pump in your car.600

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

2 recommendations

said by Anonymous_:

just like today 1.5 miles i was putting out hot air. that was at 35F engine start temperature.

You should have been putting out hot air every time you breath out unless I misunderstand biology 101.

said by Anonymous_:

if it takes any longer, you may have a issue with the heater pump in your car.

Yeah, that's a common failure, the heater pump. Where is that? On the heater core to pump heating water into the passenger compartment?
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois
said by Doctor Olds:

Yeah, that's a common failure, the heater pump. Where is that?

It's right next to his blinker fluid reservoir.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

said by Anonymous_:

just like today 1.5 miles i was putting out hot air. that was at 35F engine start temperature.

You should have been putting out hot air every time you breath out unless I misunderstand biology 101.

said by Anonymous_:

Yeah, that's a common failure, the heater pump. Where is that? On the heater core to pump heating water into the passenger compartment?

heater core needs coolant running in it for it to work correctly there for the pump could be weak/ slow valve .

it does not work off convention.

obviously the t button did not get pressed
you get a little particle under the keyboard is does not press any thing.
damn laptop keyboards

said by mattmag:

said by Doctor Olds:

blinkers contain Halogen, Halogen is a gas and not a fluid. technically I would need a Halogen reservoir rather then a fluid reservoir

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Anonymous_:

said by Doctor Olds:

heater core needs coolant running in it for it to work correctly there for the pump could be weak/ slow valve .

damn laptop keyboards

said by mattmag:

said by Doctor Olds:

blinkers contain Halogen, Halogen is a gas and not a fluid. technically I would need a Halogen reservoir rather then a fluid reservoir

Okay everyone, let's just ^^ this ^^ as it is, please ?

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by Hall:

Okay everyone, let's just ^^ this ^^ as it is, please ?

Ok I will keep away from it. After I change my heater pump, which is causing my radiator to leak on my 65 Covair.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Anonymous_:

said by Anonymous_:

damn laptop keyboards

said by mattmag:

said by Doctor Olds:

WOW, just WOW!

shdesigns