Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

Mike

Mod

Battlefield 4

Day 2 DICE game. Not sure what I expected.

I get a full lock up every 20 or 30 minutes.

Windows 8.1
gtx 680 w R331 drivers.

Everything is on high settings. It has so much potential though. Better than BF3.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Re: Battlefield 4 is literally unplayable

I ended up logging out earlier. 1/2 the servers I tried were rubber banding so much, my character couldn't even walk. I might as well have stood in one spot the whole time.

Then I finally found a server that was running perfect, actually killing some mofos and our team just about to win, then boom, game freezes up.

I said fuck it, and just quit.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I just watched the chinese boat literally spawn on point C in shanghai building thing. It seems they didn't fix that after 7 weeks of error reports.

Then the game locked up and I'm going to sleep.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
You guys and week one releases. Not sure what you expected either.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

Mike

Mod

Not getting my ass handed to me by level 20's already with I win weapons. I figured the game would be crashing more for them unless they haven't slept in 3 days.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
What's the decimal point after the R331? They just pushed R331.65 to me and in the release notes it says it is for support for BF4. I wouldn't be surprised they release a follow one up later in the next few weeks seeing how these things usually work out.

MgA_ODEN
Excessive
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Spring, TX

MgA_ODEN to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

You guys and week one releases. Not sure what you expected either.

Figured that out after the BFBC2 clusterfuck.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I had a couple of driver-related crashes last night. I didn't have any with the 13.11 beta7 before, so I rolled back to that from beta8.

Still way too many disconnects. The burn is that you lose all the points. For a full hour it was pretty much connect, rack up a few thousands, disconnect before the match ends and lose them all, repeat. The game is fun but that's pretty frustrating I hope they can get their shit together.

I also don't know why/how this game is so touchy with drivers. Both GPU makers are cranking out drivers in a mad rush and each one is hit or miss. Besides my problem with the latest beta for my 6970, with the 4870 in my HTPC it also crashes with the latest driver for that (13.9, it's on legacy support) but then it's rock solid if I go to the one before that (ancient 13.4). Meanwhile nothing else crashes with any of these drivers, so WTF is BF4 doing.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Mike

MVM

to Mike
I have had no issues with the new BF4 game. I have been disconnected once since I started playing. I have about 5 hours of play time in the game so far. I did make some key mappings for my mouse and keyboard, but I left the sound and graphics settings alone.

I have read a lot of forum posts from upset users. My brother had some issues with his system and crashing, but found the problem this morning. His was due to overclocking on his CPU. After he removed the overclocking, the problem went away and he is playing now without any crashing.

This really is the issue with PC gaming as a whole. So many hardware combinations. So many pieces of software that you have to look at and be suspect of. Then people wonder why consoles are selling like crazy. PC gaming isn't dead, but in some cases, it takes a lot of patience to figure out issues in games. Sometimes its the PC itself. Other times, its a driver. Then it could be a 3rd party software package thats causing an issue.

I have had to deal with strange issues before. Like when I bought Batman Arkham City. My system would freeze up just before the first fight with catwoman. I investigated it thoroughly, tried different drivers, and couldn't resolve it. Then, I removed a piece of software called "Ultramon" which is for dual monitor setups and customization. After I did that, the problem disappeared. Very strange, but it took me 2-3 days after work to figure that out.

I am not saying that the user is at fault in every instance. I am saying that its impossible for a gaming company to test every possible combination of system, component, driver, and software.
Nightfall

Nightfall to Mike

MVM

to Mike
said by Mike:

Not getting my ass handed to me by level 20's already with I win weapons. I figured the game would be crashing more for them unless they haven't slept in 3 days.

There is no "I win" weapon in this game. IMHO, its all comes down to skill and strategy. If you played any BF3, you will know that every gun is different, and it really depends on your play style on if it will work for you.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

said by Mike:

There is no "I win" weapon in this game. IMHO, its all comes down to skill and strategy. If you played any BF3, you will know that every gun is different, and it really depends on your play style on if it will work for you.

Yeah that sounds nice and all but when you get in a chopper fight and you don't have the heat-seeking missiles yet and the other guy does...it's unlikely to work out for you.

Also default engineer gun sucks balls and it took forever to unlock the AK5C carbine with all the disconnecting. Then I made zero progress in levelling that up to actually have a scope instead of crap iron sights because I couldn't finish a round.

Also the default engineer rocket only does 21 damage to tanks on most hits, meanwhile I'm getting two-shotted by engineers who've unlocked better ones.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by pnjunction:

said by Nightfall:

said by Mike:

Yeah that sounds nice and all but when you get in a chopper fight and you don't have the heat-seeking missiles yet and the other guy does...it's unlikely to work out for you.

Also default engineer gun sucks balls and it took forever to unlock the AK5C carbine with all the disconnecting. Then I made zero progress in levelling that up to actually have a scope instead of crap iron sights because I couldn't finish a round.

Also the default engineer rocket only does 21 damage to tanks on most hits, meanwhile I'm getting two-shotted by engineers who've unlocked better ones.

Its called chaff and flares and skill. I don't know how to fly really well, and I haven't climbed into a chopper in this game yet. Still, my brother is a great pilot and doesn't take the heat seekers as he can evade the missiles.

I do admit that the engineer gun sucks some big balls. Where it excels though is in close combat. I don't play the engineer that much, but man that gun is horrible because I like to shoot at range. I don't have the iron sights for that gun though. I started with a red dot sight, so maybe I was lucky to get that out of a battlepack. Once again, we are talking about different guns for different play styles. Remember when the default engineer gun used to be a shotgun?

Depends on where you hit the tank. Hits to the back do more damage than to the front. Even with the default engineer rocket. I can two shot a tank with the default launcher when you hit it in the right place.

As I said before, there is no "I win" gun and you really didn't disprove what I said.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction

Premium Member

I never said there was an "I win" gun, although when you are using that engineer pea-shooter and getting shot in the face by G36C's from 100+ metres it sure feels like you've got a loser in your hands.

So the answer to that one is 'be good enough to dodge the heat seekers'? The problem is not for veterans (who will be unlocking everything quickly anyways) it's for the average player. For the average player the heat seeker is a huge advantage.

We can talk specifics but in general what I'm talking about is that people who play earlier and more are given better weapons to use against the new and less frequent players. I guess I'm used to the old days where you could show up and be on a level playing field at least. It's bad enough that I'm not a teenager or 20-something student that can game all day anymore, now they go the extra mile and give those kids unlocks to kill me with even harder.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Mike

to Mike
You've highlighted a couple examples of where some unlocks do offer advantages, but the vast majority of the game is actually pretty level. Personally, I think you're both right.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to pnjunction

Mod

to pnjunction
AK-12 20 shots vs a SCAR-H. It's the damage in the bullet. A bullet is a bullet. However in this game it's a math problem.

DV-15 vs an ABRAMS. DV-15 is going to win. If you're good enough, you can pop 2 tanks.

The little bird 50 cal guns are underpowered.
The M2 is a little underpowered but on the Panopto map that M2 is fun providing cover fire.
The transport helo guns are magically underpowered.
The M320 has a lot of radius.. doesn't do much dmg though.
AC-130 can splash through straight up buildings.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

said by Mike:

A bullet is a bullet. However in this game it's a math problem.

Unless its a hollowpoint or higher grain or, or, or, or

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU to Mike

to Mike
This is precisely why I waited to buy, and subsequently pre-order, BF4 this time around. I really felt like I got burned pre-ordering BF3 last year. I beta tested-- along with millions of other people-- the hell out of BF3 and then when the game was finally released it felt like the devs ignored all the feedback they had to have received from the beta testing. So I put up the money early, beta tested BF3, and finally BF3 came out... and it was just a mess. It wasn't until about 2 months later that I was finally able to play complete matches back to back and/or the game for longer than 20 minutes, without my computer freezing up or the game crashing. 2 months!

It took 2 months for BF3 to finally become a mainstay in my gaming entertainment. Everything up to that point was basically me just trying to get any time in with the game because I just wanted to play for even 15 minutes. This time, I just decided I would just hold off dealing with any early bugs/glitches that I was positive would crop up.

I've heard alot of tremendously awesome features that are BF4, and believe me when I say I'm itching to buy it and play. But I just need to be assured all the kinks are worked out before I spend my money on it.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to pnjunction

MVM

to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

I never said there was an "I win" gun, although when you are using that engineer pea-shooter and getting shot in the face by G36C's from 100+ metres it sure feels like you've got a loser in your hands.

So the answer to that one is 'be good enough to dodge the heat seekers'? The problem is not for veterans (who will be unlocking everything quickly anyways) it's for the average player. For the average player the heat seeker is a huge advantage.

We can talk specifics but in general what I'm talking about is that people who play earlier and more are given better weapons to use against the new and less frequent players. I guess I'm used to the old days where you could show up and be on a level playing field at least. It's bad enough that I'm not a teenager or 20-something student that can game all day anymore, now they go the extra mile and give those kids unlocks to kill me with even harder.

Sorry, but I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The guns at the later levels offer nothing in terms of advantages other than other choices. As I said, there are guns that fit specific situations and playstyles. The engineer gun is only good at close range. Long range, you are asking for trouble. You make it sound like you want to wield a shotgun and then complain that it doesn't shoot 100 yards like a medic G36E.

You are right about one thing. Skill isn't a level playing field. If you don't have the skill, you are going to be butt hurt in this game more often than if you don't. Doesn't matter if you have every gun unlocked with every accessory.

If there is anything I would have done, I would have unlocked at the start certain guns that wouldn't pigeonhole you in. For instance, the Engineer guns have always been close range weapons since Battlefield 2. You have to level up in close range which is limiting to me. Why not include a couple other guns to fit certain playstyles? I don't get it.

Aside from that, I am still pwning players with the intro guns.
Nightfall

Nightfall to Savious

MVM

to Savious
said by Savious:

said by Mike:

A bullet is a bullet. However in this game it's a math problem.

Unless its a hollowpoint or higher grain or, or, or, or

Being as that it takes 4 hits to kill anyone, a bullet really is a bullet in Battlefield 4. :P
Nightfall

Nightfall to TRU

MVM

to TRU
said by TRU:

This is precisely why I waited to buy, and subsequently pre-order, BF4 this time around. I really felt like I got burned pre-ordering BF3 last year. I beta tested-- along with millions of other people-- the hell out of BF3 and then when the game was finally released it felt like the devs ignored all the feedback they had to have received from the beta testing. So I put up the money early, beta tested BF3, and finally BF3 came out... and it was just a mess. It wasn't until about 2 months later that I was finally able to play complete matches back to back and/or the game for longer than 20 minutes, without my computer freezing up or the game crashing. 2 months!

It took 2 months for BF3 to finally become a mainstay in my gaming entertainment. Everything up to that point was basically me just trying to get any time in with the game because I just wanted to play for even 15 minutes. This time, I just decided I would just hold off dealing with any early bugs/glitches that I was positive would crop up.

I've heard alot of tremendously awesome features that are BF4, and believe me when I say I'm itching to buy it and play. But I just need to be assured all the kinks are worked out before I spend my money on it.

Remembering back to BF3 days, I was playing on day 1 and there were issues the first week for me. After the first patch was released, it was solid. So once again, I am going back to where we are at right now. Why are some people reporting issues and others are not? Bad computer builds? Non-updated drivers? Shoddy programming? It is probably a mix of all 3.

cheesyyellow
join:2009-06-04
Poulsbo, WA

cheesyyellow to Mike

to Mike
I'm still locking up every 45 minutes or so (screen freeze with infinite sound loop). I think I have it narrowed down to the age old punkbuster/realtek conflict that was "resolved" with BF3. Did a clean punkbuster install last night and will test after work today. Next step will be disabling onboard sound in the Bios. I've had zero isuues with the campaign so I'm fairly certain this is punkbuster related.

Maybe this will be an excuse to go out and buy a decent sound card.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

You have pinpointed why I haven't spent any money on the BF series after BF:BC, I why BF:BC is sitting with a 2" of dust on my shelf.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

That's just being bad. BF3 was pretty even across the board, and what you are referring to as upgraded uber-unlock weapons is simple being higher up the FPS skill curve. Every FPS is like that, and it takes a certain amount of hours to learn the feel to the game and how to exploit that game's rules or mechanics.

Proof? My favorite AR in BF3 was the M416, which was a relatively early unlock for the Assault class. Any gun, as long as you had the holo or red dot optics on it was deadly.

cheesyyellow
join:2009-06-04
Poulsbo, WA

cheesyyellow

In BF3 the best all around weapon was the M16A3 by far. It had the fastest reload, fast rate of fire and virtually no recoil. It was also the starter weapon for assault. The M416 was a close second and it was the first unlock for the assault class. The statement that higher ranked players got better weapons is completely false.

The weapon balance in BF4 is much better than BF3. High rate of fire weapons have a lot more recoil and the low rate of fire weapons are essentialy laser beams. This makes the use of the higher rate of fire "better" weapons harder to use and more player skill based. So ya, I guess you have a disadvantage against people who can play a lot more.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by cheesyyellow:

So ya, I guess you have a disadvantage against people who can play a lot more.

otherwise known as a skill curve.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

CoD comes out on Tuesday.

Zero skill curve.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

As an ex-MW2 vet, nonsense.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

What skill curve could you be speaking of?

How to play FPS?
Map Knowledge?
How to click to shoot?

The equipment progression is much nicer and generally the starting weapons are the most balanced and the rest will be variants in range / accuracy / stopping power/ shot type (full, 3 rnd, single).

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by f0rtys3ven:

What skill curve could you be speaking of?

How to play FPS?
Map Knowledge?
How to click to shoot?

The equipment progression is much nicer and generally the starting weapons are the most balanced and the rest will be variants in range / accuracy / stopping power/ shot type (full, 3 rnd, single).

Reaction time, strategy for each map, spawn points....

Just saying that there is more than just shooting. Which is how I have done so well in FPS multiplayer games. My reaction time is not where it used to be, so I rely on strategy.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

I agree. During the Beta, I ended up switching over to Assault Class, so I didn't have anything unlocked. Using a Carbine with Iron Sights, I ended up owning a bunch of guys, simply because they were standing in bad spots, bad positioning, bad spawn points, etc.

There's a lot more to this game, then just shooting.