spc
uniqs

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok

Re: Let's talk sound cards

Ok, I'm not much of a fan of CL and thusly can't recommend them(will not side track the thread with the why's)

ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo

seems to be a good choice.

Doesn't have the burrbrowns or the op amps of the other Asus unit you'd looked at but is a full on 7.1 channel card with otherwise rather impressive features such as the emi shielding, additional grounding paths and selectable amp gain based on your needs.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by boogi man:

Ok, I'm not much of a fan of CL and thusly can't recommend them(will not side track the thread with the why's)

ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo

seems to be a good choice.

Doesn't have the burrbrowns or the op amps of the other Asus unit you'd looked at but is a full on 7.1 channel card with otherwise rather impressive features such as the emi shielding, additional grounding paths and selectable amp gain based on your needs.

OK, so in either technical or dummy language, can you explain why the Phoebus is a better choice over the ASUS Xonar Essence STX? There's a $30 difference--is it just gaming branding or are there technical differences?

boogi man
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

boogi man

the Xonar Essence STX while a fine stereo only card does the 'virtual' surround by phase shifting and manipulation. the Phoebus is a true surround sound with separate amps for each channel and thus true surround sound capable. which would better match your Tiamt 7.1 headset in that it has the 5x 3.5mm connectors plus usb for power so the 10 different drivers can get what the need without being manipulated which adds delay and introduces more noise.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Awesome explanation, thanks!

boogi man
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

glad I stumbled into this thread.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

said by boogi man:

glad I stumbled into this thread.

I was once gifted a pair of Westone 4 and it's been somewhat of a revelation to me.

I'm no audiophile but even untrained ears can tell a difference between quality earphones and stock apple earbuds.

Do you work in audio? Thanks for all your explanations. Was very interesting to read.

boogi man
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

Nice find.

I used to be a live and recording professional for a long time in a past life and just have a love for all things audio related and have been itching to get back into it. Funny to me how with so much change and advancements in technology how some things stay the same.