Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

New PS4 FAQ has me down.

»arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/1···ps4-faq/

So what it essentially says is the PS4 won't do a mess of things the PS3 does.

No support for external drives - I never maxed out my updated internal drive so no biggie for me, but it's still an odd thing to not do.

No system support for USB/Bluetooth mice - Again not an issue for me, but not sure sure why it's no longer there.

No DLNA support - So no more streaming from your PC? No more Media Server software to move files to your Playstation to enjoy? This sucks, but if you can still plug in flash drives and transfer your media files that way then at least there is a workaround.

No audio visualizer - I enjoy playing music on my PS3. It's a great media center for that. Part of the enjoyment is having something to look at. While the PS3 wasn't perfect (why oh why couldn't they expand the visualizer???) it was something. Now nothing? Very annoying.

No audio CD support - Kinda weird considering all Blu-Ray drives, including the super cheap ones, sold today can play DVDs and CDs. Bit of a bummer, but not a big deal..... until....

No MP3 support - WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! So the PS4 is essentially gimping out all the media center functionality of the PS3. That essentially kills any level of expectations I have to replace my PS3 with a PS4.

What gives? Does Sony really believe people will be happy with an entertainment hub that only provides music and video through a single streaming service (sold through PSN)? I certainly hope there is enough backlash that Sony will back off some of these restrictions... and don't sneak them back in later. I'm definitely going to wait quite a while before considering any purchase of a PS4.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

While there's no system mouse support, game developers can support it within their games.

But yeah, no Audio CDs and no mp3s is strange (although they are possibly reconsidering mp3s). Doesn't say anything about other music formats. For background music, you are forced to buy a subscription to their music service (4.99/mo min).

One thing I did notice about the 1.50 system update (available same day as NA release) is that 4 people can log in to one PS4 at once, using their own save data and being able to earn trophies in a multiplayer game played on one PS4.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to SRFireside

I used my PS3 as a DLNA client routinely and in fact recently moved all of my video content onto a NAS to make this easier (i.e., no need to turn on my computer to access the stuff on it). Losing this in the PS4 is not a deal-breaker, since my TV itself is also a DLNA client, but it is a head-scratcher. I can only hope that it just wasn't a priority for them at launch and it will be added in a later firmware update (just as it was added to the PS3 post-launch).

More to the point, I very regularly streamed MP3s from my computer/NAS during during some games (particularly driving games with long races where the built-in soundtrack was terrible). That'd be the thing I'd miss most about this. I guarantee that 90% of the stuff I listen to is not on any commercial music service. (Though if Sony's Music Unlimited has anything by Lazerhawk or Don Peake, for example, I will recant.)

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to SRFireside

I won't be buying a PS4 anytime soon, only because I can't afford it, and also, my PS3 does everything I need it to do, so there is no rush for me to replace / upgrade it.

That said, I wouldn't let lack of functions like these stop you from owning it if you wanted it, as pretty much all of those features could be added in a software update later on. Though I'm in agreement with the whole "WTF were they thinking?" dept.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to SRFireside

And at the first sign of a 'sploit that enables running unsigned code, watch some home-brewers hack the hell out of this console to add all this back.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to SRFireside

Apparently Shuhei Yoshida tweeted that he'd met with the PlayStation dev team after seeing all the angry feedback about the lack of media features, so the word is at least getting to the guys in charge. There's also a rumor going around the DLNA, MP3 playback and some other things are coming in a PS4 software update either by the end of the year or early 2014.

The good news, at least, is that everything except CD audio playback can be added via software updates. (CD audio is absent, I suspect, because I think it requires a different type of laser and omitting it from the PS4's drive could reduce costs.)
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -?lafr H?skuldsson

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

Actually, for the BluRay spec, CD support is and has always been optional. It's just... most intelligent makers saw no reason to omit it.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

MJB

join:2012-01-29

don't buy

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1
reply to SRFireside

As long as it plays games, I could give a shit about all that.
--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

The_ANoN

@charter.com

I dont care about it not playing CDs... Who even plays CDs nowadays? Ive never used any of my consoles to play CDs other than to just be curious as to what its like.. If I want to listen to music I have my phone, iPad and a host of other devices that can play music. DNLA is something that I hope they implement though..

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to SRFireside

it could just be priorities.
do they take some guys and put then on media service code or do they put them on backward compatibility? no they put them on the ps plus integration.
some stuff could come in an update. Many ps3 functions were broken or not delivered in version 1, as well.

Fountainhead
Premium
join:2003-10-25
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to SRFireside

Its going to be tough to decide which console to get this time around. The PS3 was a no brainer last time, particularly because of the blu-ray capability...

But I could get the X-Box this time and keep the PS3 as a blu-ray player... and I own two of them at this point.
--
It's all part of my rock and roll fantasy

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Each console has its strengths. I think the Xbox One will be more versatile as a multimedia consumption device, particularly if you have cable. (Even if you don't, it will work as a DLNA client at launch.) The Xbox One finally gets a Blu-ray drive this time around, too.

However, for raw gaming power, the PS4 has the Xbox One bested in terms of raw performance numbers, and we're seeing it reflected in some of the multiplatform launch games (i.e., where PS4 runs at 1080p, Xbox One runs the same game at 720p). Whether that's really going to matter to the majority of players is another story.

At the moment I have both consoles preordered, as well as what is generally considered the go-to "showoff" exclusive for each (Forza 5 for the XB1, Killzone Shadow Fall for the PS4). Not buying any multiplats until I see reviews, image quality comparisons and what-not.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -?lafr H?skuldsson

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

This makes intersting reading but will not stop the fan boys.

»reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-576···-or-ps4/
--
When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

and if you get it now rather than waiting you save the fabulous interest the bank gives you on 400 bucks for 3 months.

nah it is unpersuasive unless you are on the fence about which to get.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

For me its no doubt. I use my PS3 to access Netflix etc. In my Xbox 360 I have to pay to access. I can store video files and install a larger HD on the PS3. The 360...nada. I use my Console for more entertaiment than gaming.
--
When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

said by capdjq:

I use my Console for more entertaiment than gaming.

Ya know, now that I think about it, I do too! I use my PS3 primarily for netflix, Neon Alley, CR, Amazon, NHL, etc. I have plenty of games, don't get me wrong, and as a PS+ member, I've got plenty of downloaded games too, but most of the time the thing is on, it's playing a movie/show in some form, be it online or BD.