spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dsm1995

join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA

can any1 help me identify this piece of equipment.....

Click for full size
hope this be bast spot to find out what this is......

im helping a friend out moving a business from a small 1 story building, into a medium, 3 story building and told him I can go look around and tell you what I think , kinda like a survey this being on my own dime btw. theirs no existing data wireing in the building at all except for a shitty hack job the last tenant did to the tele wireing ( sliced into a multipair tele wire, 1 in round.. has to be fixed by a licensed pro, told him this

Talking to the owner, she told me att installed this recently... I never seen this type of thing b4

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

Picture isn't super clear but that looks like telco line protectors (surge suppressors) and also serves as the demarcation between telco lines/equipment and customer premise wiring.

There are many different styles and form factors for such devices, but they all pretty much serve the same function.

Also looks like they never grounded them? I don't see any ground wires connected to the ground terminals at the bottom of each one.

Dsm1995

San Diego, CA
I didn't see any either when I went inside.... att wants all inside wiring done b4 thy will return and install their gear like modem thy are providing....

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to Dsm1995
That is definitely telco wiring but I have never seen that style before.
Kind of shoddy of them not to ground it.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Dsm1995
How about a wider picture? Where to the black wires go? It kind of looks like a ground block but at&t pretty anal about the customer placing the ground and not them as per some jack ass CWA rule that they like to quote.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Dsm1995

San Diego, CA
that's only picture I have.... wires feed in from outside.. didn't bother to trace them
Expand your moderator at work

retiredqwest

join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

Re: can any1 help me identify this piece of equipment.....

said by Edrick:

I'm sorry but can we please spell check, grammar check and use full words in these posts. I was all ready to help but the lack of any sort of coherent speech is killing me. It's making me say "Should this guy really be helping someone relocate their business into a three story building."

LOL.....

Its a protected telco terminal of some sort. Notice the 2043 01, 2043 is probably the numeric address of the building and the 01 means it is one level down from street level.

Above the blocks is the cable and pair count, left one is 201-225 and the right one is 226-250. Can't read the cable number. The tails could go to almost anywhere, an aerial splice, a pedestal, or even another room.

Cheap, dirty and fast is how things are done nowadays.... glad I'm retired....

Dsm1995

San Diego, CA
reply to Anon

Edrick please go troll somewhere else srsly.....

alli said was ill go look and tell u what I think,, and what I saw is that it needs to be fixed by a pro

Jackoffjill

@windstream.net
reply to Dsm1995

They are tails for buried Charles pedestals. If they had protection modules would be blue.If that is a meter room it should be 50 pr 189a to a 66 type block.That is not code, no protection.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Anon
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

U is NOT a word it's a letter!!!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Dsm1995
Those are 25 pair (Insulation Displacement Connectors) IDC blocks, they are usually used in aerial terminals and pedestals.

If AT&T installed them recently it's likely that there is 2x25pair distribution cables running into building from the distribution terminal.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

datguy11

@verizon.net
its 50 pair feed from the Telco... It might be direct feed (from the underground) or those 50 pairs go back to a terminal box somewhere else (not for your buddy to worry)