Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cortland
Premium
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

128 GB iPad too much?

Will it slow the iPad? Like too much memory to manage? Will it consume too much power?

I want to do some RAW pictures with conversion software.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

No.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1
reply to Cortland

Basically it holds more stuff than the other models. But it won't consume more power or be more difficult to manage, etc.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

1 edit

said by Mospaw:

Basically it holds more stuff than the other models....

wont that make it heavier???
I thought the iPad Air was supposed to be lighter

(sorry, couldn't resist )

resare

join:2012-11-07
Greenfield Park, QC

Just hold it right, and you should be fine

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Cortland

No. It is all solid state.
Ofcourse, how the image-editor is written, what you do with the images, where you store them, sync, and update...

The A7 is more efficient than previous. Smaller, faster.

Then again, anything you do on the ipad or any battery-operated device, will use power.

But 128GB... ouch $. Enjoy!
--
Splat

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to Cortland

I would say the 16GB is nearly worthless. I've got a 16GB iPad mini and can't even put much on it anymore. Most games are around 500MB in size and the device gets filled up quickly. I'm looking to replace it with at LEAST a 64GB mini.

haroldo

united state

said by rugby:

I would say the 16GB is nearly worthless. ...

I (respectfully) disagree
My family's 4 iPhones and 4 iPads are all 16 GB.
We've never had size issues.
I have >3500 photos; >100 apps and 15-20 books on mine, I know my daughters have a ton of songs and photos (although not sure how many) and my wife has >4000 photos.
Sure, there are those that will blow through their limits, but it's very easy to not do so.
We're not gamers, so I can't speak for that, but if one isn't a gamer...16 GB is more than enough.
Most people who exceed their cap never clean out their Camera Roll (a major culprit).
Further, if one is aware of how to manage their iTunes sync (and most people aren't...although most here are) it's easy to off load a few mega sized items if space is a problem.
Do people really need to have every photo they've ever taken, the entire Disney video library or enough songs to run a major radio station on their iDevice 24/7?
If so, is that convenience worth a few hundred bucks?

IMHO, if is capable of staying organized, 16 GB is more than enough.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

As always, it depends on your usage. If you're a big gamer and you're downloading 500mb games or large reference apps that include large amounts of data (my Audubon guide is 1.3 GB for example) then 16GB very well might NOT be enough.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to Cortland

By the title I thought the question was about dollars $$$$$.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

IMHO, if is capable of staying organized, 16 GB is more than enough.

This ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

Not this... (necessarily)

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to darcilicious

Yes, it also depends on what your tolerance is for managing apps and data. At one time I'd deleted GarageBand from my wife's 16 GB iPad 2 to make room for some of my kid's movies and games. Then one day, my wife wanted to use GarageBand for some multi-track recording. Oops, gotta decide what to delete to make room for the app... sigh. Time is $$.

The extra $100 for a larger size works out to about $2.80/month amortized over the 3 year average useful life of an iPad. For me, it was worth it to step up to 32GB this year.

To each his own. That's why they make 4 sizes.

FYI, the 16 GB WiFi iPad Air is $20 off at Walmart ($479) The other sizes are full price.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by rjackal:

FYI, the 16 GB WiFi iPad Air is $20 off at Walmart ($479) The other sizes are full price.

»9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/confirmed···-stores/
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Cortland

I ordered an iPad Air today.

I had a first gen iPad and am currently using a 3rd gen iPad. I've always gone for the 16GB model (same for the iPhone). I just couldn't bring myself to deal with 16GB anymore so I stepped up to the 32GB iPad Air.

So no, I don't think 128GB is too much. I have a feeling that as time goes by I'll progressively move up to more storage.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

I have an iPad 2 32GB and struggle to be honest. I do manage apps and media quite a bit but still find it tight. I think having to delete stuff, can iMessages frequently, etc is silly given the price point of the hardware (kind of like asking people to disable features to save battery life - why when you've paid for those features). My phone (4S) is 64GB and that seems to work well, especially with 1080p video recording. I will not buy less than 64GB for any new iDevice when that time comes around.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Cortland
Premium
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL
reply to Cortland

I got the 128 GB and my friends were laughing I was buying so much memory. Funny at home I ended with 64 GB free. I did have some 10 movies in it. The new iPad is fast!! Much faster than before. I am very happy with that. Also it is much lighter. Sound is good. A little treble like.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by Cortland:

...Sound is good. A little treble like.

You can't expect much more from something so thin. Sound has never been the iPad's forte.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to haroldo

I don't see how you do it...even with iTM my 64GB iPad is always full. I have single video files that tip the scales at 16GB. And I don't even have many games on it, just a couple of small RPGs.
--
Nocchi rules.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Nezmo

Sound has never been any tabs forte.
--
Nocchi rules.

haroldo

united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I don't see how you do it...even with iTM my 64GB iPad is always full. I have single video files that tip the scales at 16GB. ...

Simple, I don't have video.
My advice wasn't for everyone in every situation.
Some parents like to have 100 Disney videos with them at all times so their kids can have a choice of movies to watch in the car...others, like me, are 'empty nesters' who use their iDevices more modestly.
I had 3000 songs in my iTunes library. Over the last ten years, I don't think I've ever listened to any of the songs. After toting around my music library on my iPhone (still having never listened to any of the songs), I removed them from my device. I have Pandora app and FM radio in my car if I'm ever desirous of listening.
I also have Netflix and HBO GO apps if I need/want to watch something (of course, when I'm in WiFi)
Maybe I'm not the typical user, but then again, our family has 8 iOS devices (including two daughters that listen to music) and have never had a problem with space.
16 GB can be done!

Side note...my first computer was 60MB so I'm well schooled in the art of keeping one's computing devices on a strict diet!

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo

Well, considering you don't have games nor videos on your phone then 16GB is enough for you. However, those two items are the biggest space hogs out there. I always buy the largest capacity iPhone because I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it in terms of space.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

*This*

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Cortland

I tend not to read books on my iPhone or play any graphically intensive games due to the small screen. If Apple made a phablet maybe that would change. So I find 16GB fine for the iPhone. In contrast I'm typically struggling to find space on a 16GB iPad so much so that I always have to dump something just to to upgrade to the next version of iOS. so clearly its a use case issue.

Personally I wish Apple would just drop the 16GB entry level devices and start making 32GB the new entry level while keeping the price the same. I know, I know,...wishful thinking,.....

haroldo

united state

1 edit

said by Octavean:

Personally I wish Apple would just drop the 16GB entry level devices and start making 32GB the new entry level ...

They will!
Once consumers stop buying the 16 and only buy the 32.
Right now, there's plenty of demand for the 16.
However, once the Affordable Mobile Device Act is law and there is an individual mandate that all citizens purchase a mobile device with a requirement as to the minimum level of storage, Apple will raise it, but for now...we're (still!) free to choose!

(oops! that was a snide political remark...hope it doesn't get 'hey modded')

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Well if you do get "hey modded" it won't be from me,....

Look, I'm actually OK with having the choice. Although I seem to recall an odd point when Apple offered an 8GB model and skipped the 16GB model going to 32GB. I believe that was for the iPod Touch and was IMO totally perplexing.

My desire to see the 16GB minimum raised to 32GB is just a bit of frustration with the space on my current iPad so it's really just a little benign venting. Don't take me too seriously and as I said I'm actually OK with 16GB on my iPhone.

I will say though that the 128GB model iPad seem more like a check mark type of product to round out the lineup IMO. Some none Apple tablets are gaining higher storage capacities so it makes sense to have that 128GB iPad in the lineup. Probably not their top seller but at least it's there.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Cortland

Hummmmm,......

Looks like higher capacity iPads are the ones falling into short supply first?

quote:
Launch-Day iPad Air Stocks Begin to Weaken, High-Capacity Models Most Affected

With the iPad Air now having launched in over 40 countries today, supplies of the device are starting to weaken in some of Apple's online and retail stores. The most significant signs of tightening supplies are appearing in higher-capacity models in some countries, specifically 128 GB and 64 GB cellular models and 128 Wi-Fi models. In a number of countries these models are now listed as shipping in 5-10 business days.

»www.macrumors.com/2013/11/01/lau···ffected/

haroldo

united state

said by Octavean:

Hummmmm,......

Looks like higher capacity iPads are the ones falling into short supply first?

Possibly misleading....
If the product mix was equal across the capacity sizes, you'd be right.
But what if the product mix shipped to each regional market was unequal (for example 50% of iPads were the 16 GB model, with 20% of shipments to each of the 32GB and 64 GB models and only 10% to the 128 GB model).
Unless we know actual shipments, it's impossible to determine demand from the level of shortages.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Fair enough,....