Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to jsterling

Premium Member

to jsterling

Re: Emergency Alert Test interruptions

said by jsterling:

I think that comcast and everyone else for that matter is required to interrupt whatever is going on to provide these messages so that they are received.

My main problem is that I am seeing EAS tests for places on the other side of the state and in a different state altogether.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That's just a matter of where the cable headend is located. Hell I've had customers in Florida get tests from Georgia because that is where the cable headend is located.
In New Jersey, I get both the New York City and Philadelphia ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, and PBS stations and since they are required to conduct their own weekly and monthly tests I can understand the frustration. Yes the timing of the tests by Comcast can be a little bad, but it's not really the choice of Comcast and it's certainly not harassment, just an inconvenience. As you know, the FCC requires weekly tests to be performed at random times on random days, and requires monthly tests to be performed between 8:30 a.m. and local sunset during odd numbered months, and local sunset to 8:30 am for even months.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

just an inconvenience

It's more than just an inconvenience.

It also desensitizes the viewers to the EAS, so when a real event occurs, it may just be ignored.

I know that 75% of the alerts are meaningless to me, so I stop paying attention until I can get control of my TV again. There are just so many of them, I've even stopped checking to see if it is just a test.

I doubt if that is the intent of the EAS tests.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That's you, not the majority.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

I'm not so sure you can say that. Have you surveyed everyone who sees those messages?

But more to your point, it is human nature to ignore repetitious messages. As those EAS test messages continue to be shown multiple times a week, do you really think that most people will be reading each and every one in detail?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

There should only be one weekly test and one monthly test. If this is not what you are seeing then that's an FCC violation which should be reported. »www.fcc.gov/complaints Click "Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues" and choose "Details"

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

There should only be one weekly test and one monthly test.

I am seeing a weekly test for each of four areas, only one of which is the area I live in.

A 75% false alarm rate is not conducive to building confidence in an Emergency Alert System.

Thanks for the link, I'll follow-up.
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

Most of the EAS devices are vulnerable to all sort attacks and remote access. Here is a report from Slashdot on October 19 here is the articles page »m.slashdot.org/story/193185

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

If that is correct, then that is yet another issue that needs to be resolved.

An Emergency Alert System should be exactly that. And no more.

If I see an alert, I should need to Do Something Now.

I should not need discern whether or not the alert is for me or someone in a different state or on the other side of my state.

False alarms incubate complacency.