uniqs
share rss forum feed

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

The guy that how holds the record for driving across the US

I found this article very interesting and a good read to.
The silly youth in me marvel at stories like this, but I would be plagued with paranoia if I would to attempt something like this.
This article shows the planning involved with attempting to beat last record.
»jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-dr···54092837
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

Installing two extra gas tanks sure had to help!

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
reply to natedj

The guy who did it back in the 1930's accomplished quite a feat for his time. Road infrastructure was minimal, cars were not as refined as they are today, and no GPS. But He probably didn't have to worry about the traffic and the high-tech cops either.
--

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to natedj

Not bad at all. I think one of the most important thing is to be able to avoid unwanted attention by the highway patrol.

2 years ago I drove from Seattle to NYC and back. On my way back, I left NYC around 11 AM and got almost to Minneapolis when I finally had to take a rest. But I was very careful to drive no more than 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit.
--
.sig

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to natedj

Great story. Loved the GPS screenshots.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to natedj

Yeah, you have to read the entire article to get the full picture. I've known of people going cross Canada..or at least Ontario to BC in a short time, non-stop, but usually only topping out at 100MPH, averaging maybe 80 or so. These guys were insane. A 98MPH is simply crazy.

I'll have to admit, though, I've would have been part of the crew if they had called me. I have insomnia anyway...so...as long as we have good tunes going. Limit liquid intake so I can take a piss during gas fills. We got to Florida in 15 hours from Ontario border to Florida border, but it's not a great distance...only averaging 70MPH or so.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to natedj

What is the kill switch for the rear lights for ?

...the only close call came late at night in Ohio when they passed a Crown Vic sitting in a median. Dave was driving, and Ed yelled to slow down – but it was too late. They passed the police car at 95 miles per hour. It didn't move an inch.

I have to wonder about that. I can only guess that there was enough traffic that kept the police car from pulling out and he knew at the speed they were going, he'd have a hard time catching up...

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

It's hard to catch up to a car you can't see at night. It greatly influences the "nevermind" decision of the potential pursuer.

The CL was a great choice of car for a cross-country run, especially with 3 people traveling.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Yeap, that's about the only use I can see for that ! They mention using NVG as well - I wonder if they drove without headlights, at times, as well ?

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

My guess is he didn't have his radar on or wasn't paying attention to it. Article never said anything about their radar detectors going off when the cop was in the median.

I'm surprised that the average speed wasn't higher.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA
reply to Steve

said by Steve:

Installing two extra gas tanks sure had to help!

I don't think the added fuel was the contributing factor here..

I just did a road trip from Atlanta to Chicago, in 10 hours. The biggest hurdle to maintaining ~80 mph was useability of the left lane.. The time spent waiting for a truck doing 71 overtaking a truck doing 70 was easily the most time lost.

That, and if they had stock fuel tanks and had to take 6 additional stops, assuming 10 minutes each, it would still break Roy's record by a huge margin.

-G
--
It's a fact : Chicks dig Mafia players.
'Wanna help buy a goat?' - »www.kiva.org

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to natedj

said by natedj:

I found this article very interesting and a good read to.
The silly youth in me marvel at stories like this, but I would be plagued with paranoia if I would to attempt something like this.
This article shows the planning involved with attempting to beat last record.
»jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-dr···54092837

must have been going 100mph+ or so why hasn't he gone to jail yet he is clearly guilty of speeding/reckless driving and has a very nice confession of it. very secure case for each city & jurisdiction he passed threw.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Gomez

said by Gomez:

The time spent waiting for a truck doing 71 overtaking a truck doing 70 was easily the most time lost.

This!!!! Then there are also the left-lane bandits that just camp out next to the car to their right while traffic piles up for miles behind them. (But I'm sure that every single one of those idiots would swear on their mothers grave that they are "safe" drivers).

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to natedj

Of course that reminds me of:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQcmR4RlEBk

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

...so why hasn't he gone to jail yet he is clearly guilty of speeding/reckless driving and has a very nice confession of it. very secure case for each city & jurisdiction he passed threw

So if you were speeding on the highway and three days later called the state police / highway patrol / etc and told them all of the details, you think they'll give you a ticket ?

They (the city & jurisdiction) don't know if he went through their town. He's NOT giving up the GPS tracking data !

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

I don't think you grasp how "average" works. To maintain 100mph across the entire country, on public roads, is amazing ! Did you look at the GPS units ? One showed the max speed they did (150mph, as I recall). Granted, that could have been for (1) second.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to Hall

No need for that since you can use the mileage to calculate what route that was taken. google mapped by using the starting point and ending point

Not only that he still admits he is guilty in Californa and New york

He is also guilty of other multiple traffic offenses

such as , laser /radar detectors, fuel emissions violations .

not only that NY/CA can get a warrant for the GPS data.

99% chance he used this route. also assuming the 1.8miles was for fuel fill ups

2,812 mi, 41 hours

New York, NY
1. Head southwest on Broadway toward Chambers St
98 ft
2. Take the 1st right onto Chambers St
0.1 mi
3. Take the 1st right onto Church St
0.3 mi
4. Slight left onto Avenue of the Americas
0.4 mi
5. Turn left onto Watts St
0.1 mi
6. Continue onto I-78 W/Holland TunnelContinue to follow I-78 W
Entering New Jersey
2.2 mi
7. Keep left to continue on NJ-139 W
1.4 mi
8. Continue onto U.S. 1 S
3.3 mi
9. Take the exit toward US 1-9 S/New Jersey 21/US 22/Interstate 78
0.1 mi
10. Merge onto U.S. 1 Truck S/US-9 Truck S
2.0 mi
11. Take the Interstate 78 W/Garden State Parkway exit
0.4 mi
12. Follow signs for Interstate 78 Express W/Garden State Parkway and merge onto Interstate 78 Express W
8.8 mi
13. Merge onto I-78 WPartial toll road
Entering Pennsylvania
126 mi
14. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Interstate 81/Harrisburg and merge onto I-81 S
37.2 mi
15. Take exit 52 for US-11 toward I-76/New Kingstown/Middlesex
0.3 mi
16. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for US-11 and merge onto US-11 S/Harrisburg Pike
1.0 mi
17. Take the Interstate 76/Pennsylvania Turnpike ramp to Philadelphia/PittsburghToll road
0.5 mi
18. Take exit 201-2 to merge onto I-76 W/Pennsylvania Turnpike toward PittsburghToll road
25.9 mi
19. Merge onto I-76/Pennsylvania TurnpikeToll road
1.0 mi
20. Merge onto I-76 WToll road
125 mi
21. Take exit 75 to merge onto I-70 W toward Wheeling WVPartial toll road
36.9 mi
22. Continue onto I-70 W/I-79 N
3.3 mi
23. Keep left to continue on I-70 WEntering West Virginia
26.9 mi
24. Keep left to continue on I-470 W, follow signs for ColumbusEntering Ohio
10.9 mi
25. Merge onto I-70 W
120 mi
26. Keep right to stay on I-70 W, follow signs for Interstate70 W/Dayton/Rich Street/Town StreetEntering Indiana
174 mi
27. Keep right to stay on I-70 W, follow signs for Interstate 70 W/Airport/St LouisEntering Illinois
144 mi
28. Keep right to stay on I-70 W, follow signs for Interstate 70 W/Saint Louis
76.9 mi
29. Continue onto I-270 W (signs for I-55 N/Chicago/Kansas City)Entering Missouri
29.6 mi
30. Take exit 20A-20B to merge onto I-70 W toward Kansas City
230 mi
31. Keep left to continue on I-670 W, follow signs for I-70 Alt/I-35 S/13th St/Downtown/Topeka/Wichita
1.1 mi
32. Take exit 2T for Interstate 35 S
0.3 mi
33. Merge onto I-35 SEntering Kansas
4.8 mi
34. Take exit 232B for US-69 N/18th St Expy toward Roe Ave
0.1 mi
35. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for 18th Street Expressway and merge onto US-69 N/S 18th St ExpyContinue to follow US-69 N
3.2 mi
36. Continue onto S 18th St Expy
0.2 mi
37. Take the I-70 W/US-40 W exit toward Topeka
0.2 mi
38. Merge onto I-70 WPartial toll road
52.7 mi
39. Keep right to stay on I-70 W, follow signs for Interstate 70 W/U.S. 40 W/Kansas 4 W/Topeka/SalinaPartial toll road
Passing through Colorado
Entering Utah
1,048 mi
40. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-15 S/Las Vegas and merge onto I-15 SPassing through Arizona, Nevada
Entering California
456 mi
41. Keep right to stay on I-15 S, follow signs for Los Angeles/San Diego
14.0 mi
42. Take the I-10 W exit toward Los Angeles
0.4 mi
43. Merge onto I-10
38.6 mi
44. Keep left to continue on San Bernardino Fwy, follow signs for U.S. 101/Los Angeles
1.7 mi
45. Merge onto US-101 N
0.9 mi
46. Take the Spring St exit
0.1 mi
47. Turn right onto N Spring St
0.4 mi
48. Turn left onto W 1st St
335 ft
Los Angeles, CA
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by fartness:

I don't think you grasp how "average" works. To maintain 100mph across the entire country, on public roads, is amazing ! Did you look at the GPS units ? One showed the max speed they did (150mph, as I recall). Granted, that could have been for (1) second.

I do. If he was driving faster, the average would be faster. Seems like they weren't driving at their fullest potential the whole time.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Anonymous_

You can assume anything you want. The authorities won't though... Other than NY or CA, there's no proof of what states he went in.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

Go drive 98mph down the interstate for 3 minutes and see how it goes. Now realize they did that, on average, across the entire country.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits

said by Hall:

Go drive 98mph down the interstate for 3 minutes and see how it goes. Now realize they did that, on average, across the entire country.

I done 92-95 mph for 77miles Got home in 49mins

Plus they could get him for illegal street racing which qualifies for him to lose his Driver License and have the car crushed into a cube.

following are some of the penalties you can face if you street race:
Be arrested and have your vehicle impounded for 30 days.
Be imprisoned for up to three months if convicted of street racing, or aiding or abetting a street race.
Be fined for up to $1,000.
Have your driver license revoked.
Have your vehicle's insurance canceled or premiums dramatically increased.
Have equipment violations issued.

no need to prove who was driving . being in the car is aiding or abetting a street race.

said by Hall:

You can assume anything you want. The authorities won't though... Other than NY or CA, there's no proof of what states he went in.

traffic cameras can be reviewed for it

why didn't the guy use cruse control and you NEVER have to press the gas. you only have to do the steering /braking.

he could have had a higher average speed and lower time

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

98 isn't that bad unless you're driving a beater. Most new cars you can barely tell you're doing 100, especially if it's 200 to 300 hp. This isn't the 1980's and 1990's anymore where you'd feel like you're going to die if you go above 80mph. 10 years ago I did a 4 hour trip in 2.5 hours with no countermeasures like I have today. I'd do it again if I felt like it.

theboz1419

join:2003-02-12
Elgin, IL
reply to Anonymous_

For one thing, they would never give him a ticket even if they had all available data that was from the GPS ect.... For police to write a ticket they need to be a witness, if they are not a witness then they can not and will not write any tickets.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

said by fartness:

said by Hall:

98 isn't that bad unless you're driving a beater. Most new cars you can barely tell you're doing 100, especially if it's 200 to 300 hp. This isn't the 1980's and 1990's anymore where you'd feel like you're going to die if you go above 80mph. 10 years ago I did a 4 hour trip in 2.5 hours with no countermeasures like I have today. I'd do it again if I felt like it.

You still are not grasping the point.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

I agree. besides giving yourself whiplash from looking side to side for cops, this is no easy task..

A 98 average is just insane, think of all the exit/entrance ramps where he had to slow down in addition to getting gas, areas where cops were detected and were forced to slow down.

I'm curious how he came about choosing the time of year, and the day of the week to pull this off. I bet weather was a factor too.
--

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

2 edits
reply to natedj

I drive from Dallas to N. Illinois often.

924 miles. My absolute best average is 71 mph including stop(s). This isn't easy with 1 person. This has a stretch of 290 miles with stop lights and traps.

I'm impressed at 98! See top speed? 158!

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
reply to natedj

I bet some whippersnapper is going to see the 46 minutes under the "stopped" time and begin to get ambitious.

--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

said by Hall:

it's not about the capability of the car, it's about the the environment one has to deal with for a sustained amount of time..

It's simply not a matter of pushing the pedal hard and going balls out.. Those are the ones that fail fast. There is a huge level of risk tolerance that has to be constantly evaluated - every turn, every hill gives a new risk, even every car passed.

If it where just a matter of going fast, a bunch of GTRs would have claimed the record easily since Roy set it, but, seems they didn't.

There's more to it then the just the car, and the right pedal.

-G

--
It's a fact : Chicks dig Mafia players.
'Wanna help buy a goat?' - »www.kiva.org

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to Hall

Click for full size
said by Hall:

He took his iphone with him that could be a huge mistake.

All they need is a search warrant for his GPS/triangulation data.

I circled it in red.
just in case you did not see it.
said by theboz1419:

For one thing, they would never give him a ticket even if they had all available data that was from the GPS ect.... For police to write a ticket they need to be a witness, if they are not a witness then they can not and will not write any tickets.

Confession is good enough not to mention the GPS data that can be used to build a solid case.. and the videos taken

NYR 56
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

They can prove the car and the three of them broke the speed limit, but they can't prove who was driving at almost any of those points. Maybe you could give them a generic fine like a speed camera ticket, but you cannot put it on their license. AFAIK, there is no law against being a passenger in a speeding car.